Subscribe to RSS
© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Three Novel Sterols Isolated from Selaginella tamariscina with Antiproliferative Activity in Leukemia Cells
Received: January 6, 2007
Revised: May 30, 2007
Accepted: June 5, 2007
05 July 2007 (online)
Three new sterols, 3β,16α-dihydroxy-5α,17β-cholestan-21-carboxylic acid (1), 3β-acetoxy-16α-hydroxy-5α,17β-cholestan-21-carboxylic acid (2) and 3β-(3-hydroxybutyroxy)-16α-hydroxy-5α,17β-cholestan-21-carboxylic acid (3) were isolated from Selaginella tamariscina (Beauv.) Spring (Selaginellaceae). Their structures were elucidated based on NMR analyses. The growth inhibitory effects and differentiation induction abilities of compounds 1 - 3 were determined in human leukemia HL-60 cells. Compound 1 was more effective than compounds 2 and 3 in inhibiting cell growth, but compound 3 was more effective than compounds 1 and 2 in enhancing induction of all-trans-retinoic acid differentiation.
- 1 Jiangsu New Medical College. Dictionary of traditional Chinese medicines. Shanghai; Shanghai Science and Technology Press 1997: 120.
- 2 Shin D I, Kim J W. Flavonoid constituents of Selaginella tamariscina . Saengyak Hakhoechi. 1991; 22 207-10.
- 3 Shin D I, Kim J W. Chemical constituents of Selaginella tamariscina . Yakhak Hiechi. 1994; 38 683-6.
- 4 Lee H S, Oh W k, Kim B Y, Ahn S C, Kang D O, Shin D I. et al . Inhibition of phospholipase Cγ1 activity by amentoflavone isolated from Selaginella tamariscina . Planta Med. 1996; 62 293-6.
- 5 Sadtler Research Laboratories. Sadtler Standard NMR Spectra. Pennsylvania (USA); Sadtler Research Laboratories 1991: 53656M.
- 6 Sadtler Research Laboratories. Sadtler Standard Carbon-13 NMR Spectra. Pennsylvania (USA); Sadtler Research Laboratories 1990: 28734C.
- 7 Wang R, Song D D, Jing Y K. Traditional medicines used in differentiation therapy of myeloid leukemia. Asian J Tradit Med. 2006; 1 37-44.
- 8 Honma Y, Ishii Y. Differentiation of human myeloid leukemia cells by plant redifferentiation-inducing hormones. Leuk Lymphoma. 2002; 43 1729-35.
- 9 Asou H, Koshizuka K, Kyo T, Takata N, Kamada N, Koeffier H P. Resveratrol, a natural product derived from grapes, is a new inducer of differentiation in human myeloid leukemias. Int J Hematol. 2002; 75 528-33.
- 10 Wang F, Hua H M, Pei Y H, Chen D, Jing Y K. Triterpenoids from the resin of Styrax tonkinensis and their antiproliferative and differentiation effects in human leukemia HL-60 cells. J Nat Prod. 2006; 69 807-10.
- 11 Jing Y K, Nakajo S, Xia L, Nakaya K, Fang Q, Waxman S. et al . Boswellic acid acetate induces differentiation and apoptosis in leukemia cell lines. Leuk Res. 1999; 23 43-50.
Prof. Dr. Hui-ming Hua
Shenyang Pharmaceutical University
People's Republic of China