Changes in Diet, Exercise, Weight, and Serum Lipids Following Liposuction
17 June 2002 (online)
Nineteen consecutive hospital-based patients had liposuction and were evaluated for pre- and postoperative changes in exercise habits, dietary habits, weight, and serum lipids. All patients received preoperative nutritional counseling. The average liposuction aspirate was 4.3 L of supranatant fat and the average postoperative interval was 27 weeks. Of the 19 liposuctions performed, 8 improved their exercise habits and 7 improved their dietary habits. The average long-term weight loss was 3.43 kg. Lipid changes following liposuction showed slight increases of serum cholesterol, LDL, HDL, triglycerides, and cholesterol/HDL ratios.
Liposuction - cholesterol - weight - lipid
- 1 Mauer M M, Bartness T J. Body fat regulation after partial lipectomy in Siberian hamsters is photoperiod dependent and fat pad specific. Am J Physiol . 1994; 266 870-878
- 2 Mauer M M, Bartness T J. Fat pad-specific compensatory mass increases after varying degrees of lipectomy in Siberian hamsters. Am J Physiol . 1997; 273 2117-2123
- 3 Liszka T G, Dellon A L, Im M, Angel M F, Plotnick. Effect of lipectomy on growth and development of hyperinsulinemia and hyperlipidemia in the Zucker rat. Plast Reconstr Surg . 1998; 102 1122-1127
- 4 Mauer M M, Harris R B, Bartness T J. The regulation of total body fat: lessons learned from lipectomy studies. Neurosci Biobehav Rev . 2001; 25 15-28
- 5 Bartness T J, Bamshad M. Innervation of mammalian white adipose tissue: implications for the regulation of total body fat. Am J Physiol . 1998; 275 1399-1411
- 6 Samdal F, Birkeland K I, Ose L, Amland P F. Effect of large-volume liposuction on sex hormones and glucose- and lipid metabolism in females. Aesth Plast Surg . 1995; 19 131-135
- 7 Mentz H, Spira M, Shenaq S. Lipid Profile Changes Following Liposuction, 29th Annual ASAPS Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2, 1996 .
- 8 Mentz H. Serum Lipid Changes Following Liposuction. Lipogenesis and Lipoplasty Seminar, Baylor Division of Plastic Surgery, Houston, TX, June 16, 2001
- 9 Giese S Y, Bulan E J, Commons G W, Spear S L, Yanovski J A. Improvements in cardiovascular risk profile with large-volume liposuction: a pilot study. Plast Reconstr Surg . 2001; 108 510-521
- 10 Samdal F, Amland P F, Sandsmark M, Birkeland K I. Diabetic lipohypertrophy treated with suction-assisted lipectomy. J Intern Med . 1993; 234 489-492