Subscribe to RSS
© Georg Thieme Verlag Stuttgart · New York
Development of Colonoscopy Teaching Simulation
31 December 2000 (online)
After 17 years of prototyping, a first release version of the St Mark's Hospital teaching simulator is in final preparation. Advances in computer processing power and graphics cards make it possible to achieve real-time processing of colon and endoscope characteristics and a simulated endoscopic view at an acceptable cost. Realistic feel or “force feedback” for all instrument controls and shaft movements is incorporated. To make the simulator more than a “video game”, a package of teaching and assessment features is to be incorporated, including interactive animated graphics to explain particular endoscope loops and situations and the variations of colonic anatomy that are typically encountered.
Simulation should spare patients from being used for the early phases of training and should speed up and quantify the learning process. Simulators may introduce even experienced endoscopists to some of the advanced options available in current or future endoscopes or accessories, as well as the use of imminent new technology such as the magnetic imaging system.
- 1 Williams C B, Baillie J, Gillies D F, et al. Teaching gastrointestinal endoscopy by computer simulation: a prototype for colonoscopy and ERCP. Gastrointest Endosc. 1990; 36 49-54
- 2 Barde C J. Endoscopic simulation for training [editorial]. Gastrointest Endosc. 1989; 35 462-463
- 3 Noar M D. Endoscopy simulation: a brave new world?. Endoscopy. 1991; 23 147-149
- 4 Brandt L J. Training in gastrointestinal endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 1992; 38 88-99
- 5 Rey J -F, Romanczk T. The development of experimental models in the teaching of endoscopy: an overview. Endoscopy. 1995; 27 101-105
- 6 Williams C B. Endoscopy teaching: time to get serious [editorial]. Gastrointest Endosc. 1998; 47 429-431
- 7 Cass O W, Freeman M L, Cohen J, et al. Acquisition of expert endoscopic skills (ACES) during training; a multicentre study. Gastrointest Endosc. 1996; 43 69
- 8 Bowles C JA. British Society of Gastroenterology Colonoscopy Audit [personal communication]. April 2000
C. B. Williams,B.M., F.R.C.P., F.R.C.S.
Wolfson Unit for Endoscopy Level 2 St Mark's Hospital
Watford Road Harrow Middlesex HA1 3UJ United Kingdom
Fax: Fax:+ 44-20-8423-3588