Subscribe to RSS
Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy Associated with Moderate Aortic Stenosis in Symptomatic 75-Year-Old Female: A Case ReportFunding None.
A 72-year-old female was found to have symptomatic hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy associated with significant aortic stenosis. She was found to have severe left ventricular outflow tract obstruction, asymmetric septal hypertrophy, significant systolic anterior motion of the anterior mitral valve leaflet, and mitral regurgitation. She was also found to have moderate aortic stenosis that made the obstruction even worse which made the patient progressively symptomatic not responding to medical therapy. She eventually underwent cardiac surgery in form of left ventricular septal myomectomy and bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement (tissue AVR) with a size 23 tissue valve, aortic root enlargement with bovine pericardial patch. She is currently stable on optimal medical therapy, feels much better and stable cardiac-wise with much better quality of life.
Keywordshypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy - aortic stenosis - asymmetric left ventricular hypertrophy - septal myomectomy - aortic valve replacement
Article published online:
26 June 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Marian AJ, Braunwald E. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Genetics, Pathogenesis, Clinical Manifestations, Diagnosis, and Therapy. Circ Res 2017; 121 (07) 749-770
- 2 Czarny MJ, Resar JR. Diagnosis and management of valvular aortic stenosis. Clin Med Insights Cardiol 2014; 8 (Suppl. 01) 15-24 DOI: 10.4137/CMC.S15716.
- 3 Tuohy CV, Kaul S, Song HK, Nazer B, Heitner SB. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: the future of treatment. Eur J Heart Fail 2020; 22 (02) 228-240
- 4 Konno T, Chang S, Seidman JG, Seidman CE. Genetics of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Curr Opin Cardiol 2010; 25 (03) 205-209
- 5 Ramamurthi A, Aker EM, Pandian NG. A case of aortic stenosis and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Echocardiography 2012; 29 (10) 1261-1263
- 6 Desai MY, Alashi A, Popovic ZB. et al. Outcomes in Patients With Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and Concomitant Aortic Stenosis Undergoing Surgical Myectomy and Aortic Valve Replacement. J Am Heart Assoc 2021; 10 (18) e018435
- 7 Kayalar N, Schaff HV, Daly RC, Dearani JA, Park SJ. Concomitant septal myectomy at the time of aortic valve replacement for severe aortic stenosis. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 89 (02) 459-464 DOI: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2009.10.065.
- 8 Bandyopadhyay D, Chakraborty S, Amgai B. et al. Association of Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy With Outcomes Following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. JAMA Netw Open 2020; 3 (02) e1921669