CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 · Revista Chilena de Ortopedia y Traumatología 2023; 64(02): e87-e92
DOI: 10.1055/s-0043-1775831
Artículo Original | Original Article

Publication Rate of Papers Presented at the SCHOT Congresses between 2013 - 2019

Article in several languages: español | English
1   Departamento de Traumatología y Ortopedia, Facultad de Medicina- Clínica Alemana Universidad del Desarrollo, Santiago, Chile
2   Editor asociado revista Chilena de Ortopedia y Traumatología, Chile
,
Marilaura Nuñez
1   Departamento de Traumatología y Ortopedia, Facultad de Medicina- Clínica Alemana Universidad del Desarrollo, Santiago, Chile
,
Antonio Ariztía
1   Departamento de Traumatología y Ortopedia, Facultad de Medicina- Clínica Alemana Universidad del Desarrollo, Santiago, Chile
,
María Loreto Figueroa
1   Departamento de Traumatología y Ortopedia, Facultad de Medicina- Clínica Alemana Universidad del Desarrollo, Santiago, Chile
,
Andrés Aguilera
1   Departamento de Traumatología y Ortopedia, Facultad de Medicina- Clínica Alemana Universidad del Desarrollo, Santiago, Chile
,
Julio Urrutia
3   Departamento de Traumatología y Ortopedia, Escuela de Medicina Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago, Chile.
,
David Figueroa
1   Departamento de Traumatología y Ortopedia, Facultad de Medicina- Clínica Alemana Universidad del Desarrollo, Santiago, Chile
2   Editor asociado revista Chilena de Ortopedia y Traumatología, Chile
› Author Affiliations

Abstract

Introduction The publication rate is a widely used parameter to assess the quality of medical congresses, which varies between 36% and 67% in the different Traumatology and Orthopedics societies. The objective of our study was to evaluate the publication rate of abstracts presented at congresses of the Chilean Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (SCHOT).

Material and Methods Cross-sectional observational study. The SCHOT database was reviewed with the abstracts of free papers presented at the SCHOT congresses between 2013 and 2019. A search of each abstract was carried out in Pubmed, SciELO, Google Scholar and SCHOT Journal, in order to identify the coincidence of the publication with the abstract. A matching publication was defined as one with identical titles or with minor modifications between the abstract and the publication.

Results 1599 oral papers presented on the podium were evaluated, 215 ended up in publication in a journal (13.5%). Observational studies (n = 171) represented 79.5%, while experimental studies (n = 44) represented the remaining 20.5%. The committees with the highest publication rate were knee (23.7%), ankle and foot (17.8%).

Conclusions Between 2013 and 2019, the publication rate of papers presented at the SCHOT congress was 13.5%, which is low compared to similar international studies. The data reported in this study could promote future authors presenting at the SCHOT congress to achieve scientific publications, increasing the academic activity in our specialty.

Disclosures

The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.




Publication History

Received: 10 December 2021

Accepted: 22 August 2023

Article published online:
30 October 2023

© 2023. Sociedad Chilena de Ortopedia y Traumatologia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)

Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda.
Rua do Matoso 170, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 20270-135, Brazil