Subscribe to RSS
Shaping Ability of TRUShape and XP-endo Shaper in C-Shaped Canals Using 3D-Printed Replicas: A Micro-CT StudyFunding This study was supported by grants from Fundação Carlos Chagas Filho de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (FAPERJ), Brazilian Governmental Institution.
Objective This study compared the shaping ability of TRUShape and XP-endo Shaper systems on C-shaped root canals replicas using microcomputed tomography (micro-CT).
Material and Methods Thirty three-dimensional replicas based on a mandibular second molar classified as C1 type I C-shaped canal were randomly divided into two groups (n = 15): TRUShape (G.TRU) and XP-endo Shaper (G.XP) and instrumented with each system according to the manufacturer's instructions. Changes in volume and surface and the unprepared area of the root canal were measured by scanning on micro-CT before and after instrumentation.
Results The unprepared areas were 39% in the G.TRU and 43% in the G.XP group with no significant difference between them (p > 0.05), but both the tested systems left a high percentage of unprepared root canal walls of C-shaped root canals.
Conclusion TRUShape and XP-endo Shaper showed a high rate of unprepared areas with similar results after C-shaped root canals replicas for root canal preparation.
Keywordsdental materials - X-ray microtomography - root canal preparation - TRUShape - XP-endo Shaper
Article published online:
20 September 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Cooke III HG, Cox FL. C-shaped canal configurations in mandibular molars. J Am Dent Assoc 1979; 99 (05) 836-839
- 2 Karatekin AÖ, Keleş A, Gençoğlu N. Comparison of continuous wave and cold lateral condensation filling techniques in 3D printed simulated C-shape canals instrumented with Reciproc Blue or Hyflex EDM. PLoS One 2019; 14 (11) e0224793
- 3 Barnett F. Mandibular molar with C-shaped canal. Endod Dent Traumatol 1986; 2 (02) 79-81
- 4 Fan B, Cheung GS, Fan M, Gutmann JL, Bian Z. C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars: part I–anatomical features. J Endod 2004; 30 (12) 899-903
- 5 Amoroso-Silva PA, Ordinola-Zapata R, Duarte MA. et al. Micro-computed tomographic analysis of mandibular second molars with C-shaped root canals. J Endod 2015; 41 (06) 890-895
- 6 Yin X, Cheung GS, Zhang C, Masuda YM, Kimura Y, Matsumoto K. Micro-computed tomographic comparison of nickel-titanium rotary versus traditional instruments in C-shaped root canal system. J Endod 2010; 36 (04) 708-712
- 7 Zhao Y, Fan W, Xu T, Tay FR, Gutmann JL, Fan B. Evaluation of several instrumentation techniques and irrigation methods on the percentage of untouched canal wall and accumulated dentine debris in C-shaped canals. Int Endod J 2019; 52 (09) 1354-1365
- 8 Rödig T, Hülsmann M, Mühge M, Schäfers F. Quality of preparation of oval distal root canals in mandibular molars using nickel-titanium instruments. Int Endod J 2002; 35 (11) 919-928
- 9 Paqué F, Balmer M, Attin T, Peters OA. Preparation of oval-shaped root canals in mandibular molars using nickel-titanium rotary instruments: a micro-computed tomography study. J Endod 2010; 36 (04) 703-707
- 10 Guimarães LS, Gomes CC, Marceliano-Alves MF, Cunha RS, Provenzano JC, Siqueira Jr JF. Preparation of oval-shaped canals with TRUShape and Reciproc systems: a micro-computed tomography study using contralateral premolars. J Endod 2017; 43 (06) 1018-1022
- 11 Siqueira Jr JF, Rôças IN. Polymerase chain reaction-based analysis of microorganisms associated with failed endodontic treatment. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2004; 97 (01) 85-94
- 12 Siqueira J. Treating failures: retreatment and periradicular surgery. In: Siqueira J. ed. Treatment of Endodontic Infections. London, UK: Quintessence Publishing; 2022: 341-360
- 13 Alves FR, Almeida BM, Neves MA, Moreno JO, Rôças IN, Siqueira Jr JF. Disinfecting oval-shaped root canals: effectiveness of different supplementary approaches. J Endod 2011; 37 (04) 496-501
- 14 Dentsply Tulsa Dental Specialties industry and testing data. TRUShape 3D Conforming Files. [Internet] 2016 Accessed November 29, 2020 at: http://www.TulsaDentalSpecialities.com
- 15 Dentaire FKG. XP-Endo® Shaper. The one to shape your success. [Internet] 2016 Accessed December 11, 2020 at: https://www.labordental.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Folheto-XP-endo-Shaper-web.pdf
- 16 Ordinola-Zapata R, Bramante CM, Duarte MA, Cavenago BC, Jaramillo D, Versiani MA. Shaping ability of Reciproc and TF Adaptive systems in severely curved canals of rapid microCT-based prototyping molar replicas. J Appl Oral Sci 2014; 22 (06) 509-515
- 17 Gok T, Capar ID, Akcay I, Keles A. Evaluation of different techniques for filling simulated C-shaped canals of 3-dimensional printed resin teeth. J Endod 2017; 43 (09) 1559-1564
- 18 Doube M, Kłosowski MM, Arganda-Carreras I. et al. BoneJ: free and extensible bone image analysis in ImageJ. Bone 2010; 47 (06) 1076-1079
- 19 Rueden CT, Schindelin J, Hiner MC. et al. ImageJ2: ImageJ for the next generation of scientific image data. BMC Bioinformatics 2017; 18 (01) 529
- 20 Moraes RDR, Santos TMPD, Marceliano-Alves MF. et al. Reciprocating instrumentation in a maxillary primary central incisor: a protocol tested in a 3D printed prototype. Int J Paediatr Dent 2019; 29 (01) 50-57
- 21 Gao Y, Fan B, Cheung GS, Gutmann JL, Fan M. C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars part IV: 3-D morphological analysis and transverse measurement. J Endod 2006; 32 (11) 1062-1065
- 22 Noordzij M, Tripepi G, Dekker FW, Zoccali C, Tanck MW, Jager KJ. Sample size calculations: basic principles and common pitfalls. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010; 25 (05) 1388-1393
- 23 Neves AA, Silva EJ, Roter JM. et al. Exploiting the potential of free software to evaluate root canal biomechanical preparation outcomes through micro-CT images. Int Endod J 2015; 48 (11) 1033-1042
- 24 Min Y, Fan B, Cheung GS, Gutmann JL, Fan M. C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars Part III: the morphology of the pulp chamber floor. J Endod 2006; 32 (12) 1155-1159
- 25 Özyürek T, Yılmaz K, Uslu G. Shaping ability of Reciproc, WaveOne GOLD, and HyFlex EDM single-file systems in simulated S-shaped canals. J Endod 2017; 43 (05) 805-809
- 26 Christofzik D, Bartols A, Faheem MK, Schroeter D, Groessner-Schreiber B, Doerfer CE. Shaping ability of four root canal instrumentation systems in simulated 3D-printed root canal models. PLoS One 2018; 13 (08) e0201129
- 27 Ceyhanli KT, Kamaci A, Taner M, Erdilek N, Celik D. Shaping ability of two M-wire and two traditional nickel-titanium instrumentation systems in S-shaped resin canals. Niger J Clin Pract 2015; 18 (06) 713-717
- 28 Lacerda MFLS, Marceliano-Alves MF, Pérez AR. et al. Cleaning and shaping oval canals with 3 instrumentation systems: a correlative micro-computed tomographic and histologic study. J Endod 2017; 43 (11) 1878-1884
- 29 Velozo C, Silva S, Almeida A. et al. Shaping ability of XP-endo Shaper and ProTaper Next in long oval-shaped canals: a micro-computed tomography study. Int Endod J 2020; 53 (07) 998-1006
- 30 Amoroso-Silva P, Alcalde MP, Hungaro Duarte MA. et al. Effect of finishing instrumentation using NiTi hand files on volume, surface area and uninstrumented surfaces in C-shaped root canal systems. Int Endod J 2017; 50 (06) 604-611
- 31 Solomonov M, Paqué F, Fan B, Eilat Y, Berman LH. The challenge of C-shaped canal systems: a comparative study of the self-adjusting file and ProTaper. J Endod 2012; 38 (02) 209-214
- 32 Gazzaneo I, Amoroso-Silva P, Pacheco-Yanes J. et al. Disinfecting and shaping type I C-shaped root canals: a correlative micro-computed tomographic and molecular microbiology study. J Endod 2021; 47 (04) 621-630
- 33 Coelho BS, Amaral RO, Leonardi DP. et al. Performance of three single instrument systems in the preparation of long oval canals. Braz Dent J 2016; 27 (02) 217-222
- 34 Tavares SJO, Sarmento EB, Guimarães LDS, Antunes LAA, Antunes LS, Gomes CC. The influence of kinematics of engine-driven nickel-titanium instruments on root canal shape assessed by micro-computed tomography: a systematic review. Acta Odontol Scand 2019; 77 (05) 347-358
- 35 Vivan RR, Duque JA, Alcalde MP, Só MV, Bramante CM, Duarte MA. Evaluation of different passive ultrasonic irrigation protocols on the removal of dentinal debris from artificial grooves. Braz Dent J 2016; 27 (05) 568-572
- 36 Poly A, Marques F, Moura Sassone L, Karabucak B. The shaping ability of WaveOne Gold, TRUShape and XP-endo Shaper systems in oval-shaped distal canals of mandibular molars: a microcomputed tomographic analysis. Int Endod J 2021; 54 (12) 2300-2306