Subscribe to RSS
Effectiveness Evaluation of Preventive Embolization of the Internal Iliac Artery in Preventing Type II Endoleaks
Purpose The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of the proposed method of preventive embolization of the internal iliac arteries using a liquid tantalum-containing ethylene vinyl alcohol copolymer.
Methods In this nonrandomized clinical study with a retrospective control group, 55 patients with aneurysmal lesions of the infrarenal abdominal aorta participated. In the course of this study, we developed and implemented a method of preventive embolization of the ostia of the internal iliac artery using a liquid tantalum containing ethylene-vinyl alcohol copolymer having viscosity of 34 centipoise. The method was applied in 27 cases in patients with aneurysmal lesions of the infrarenal abdominal aorta with unilateral involvement of the common iliac artery. The maximum follow-up period at the stage of publication of the results was 24 months.
Results The proposed method of embolization of the internal iliac artery is accompanied by an absolute risk of developing type II endoleak 0.393 (95% confidence interval: 0.2120–0.5738, p = 0.029); therefore, when using the new technique, there is a decrease in the absolute risk of developing type II endoleak by 39.3%.
Conclusion The proposed method of preventive embolization allows to perform reliable occlusion of the internal iliac artery as proximally as possible, which makes it possible to maintain distal blood flow in the internal iliac artery and minimizes the risks of ischemic events.
Keywordsabdominal aortic aneurysms - EVAR - type II endoleak - preventive embolization - internal iliac arteries - endovascular repair - endograft placement
All authors have sufficiently contributed to the study and agreed with the results and conclusions.
Article published online:
10 July 2023
© 2023. International College of Angiology. This article is published by Thieme.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Lilja F, Wanhainen A, Mani K. Changes in abdominal aortic aneurysm epidemiology. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2017; 58 (06) 848-853
- 2 Liu Y, Yang Y, Zhao J. et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of sex differences in outcomes after endovascular aneurysm repair for infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. J Vasc Surg 2020; 71 (01) 283-296.e4
- 3 Zainalaabdeen Z. Alotaibi MM, Alghamd MS, Alsomali MM. Abdominal aortic aneurysm: a comprehensive review. Azhar Med J 2016; 45 (03) 559-570
- 4 Alexander HC, Nguyen CH, Bartlett AS, Thomas RH, Merry AF. Reporting of clinical outcomes after endovascular aortic aneurysm repair: a systematic review. Ann Vasc Surg 2021; 77: 306-314
- 5 Geraedts ACM, Mulay S, Vahl A, Wisselink W, Koelemay MJW, Balm R. Secondary interventions and long-term follow-up after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Vasc Surg 2021; 71: 381-391
- 6 Abraha I, Luchetta ML, De Florio R. et al. Ultrasonography for endoleak detection after endoluminal abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 6 (06) CD010296 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD010296.pub2.
- 7 Dobes D. Treatment of the Progressive Endoleak Type 2 After EVAR. In: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - From Basic Research to Clinical Practice. IntechOpen; 2019: 123-139
- 8 Charisis N, Bouris V, Conway AM, Labropoulos N. A systematic review and pooled meta-analysis on the incidence and temporal occurrence of type II endoleak following an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Vasc Surg 2021; 75: 406-419
- 9 Hobo R, Sybrandy JEM, Harris PL, Buth J. EUROSTAR Collaborators. Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms with concomitant common iliac artery aneurysm: outcome analysis of the EUROSTAR Experience. J Endovasc Ther 2008; 15 (01) 12-22
- 10 Higgins J, Thomas J, Chandler J. et al , Eds. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 6.3 (Updated February 2022) . Cochrane; 2022. Available from www.training.cochrane.org/handbook.
- 11 Warein E, Feugier P, Chaufour X. et al; AURC (Association Universitaire de Recherche en Chirurgie) – University Association for Research in Surgery. Amplatzer plug to occlude the internal iliac artery during endovascular aortic aneurysm repair: a large multicenter study. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2016; 51 (05) 641-646
- 12 Guo Q, Du X, Zhao J. et al. Prevalence and risk factors of type II endoleaks after endovascular aneurysm repair: A meta-analysis. Kirchmair R. ed. PLOS ONE. 2017. ;12(2):e0170600. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170600
- 13 Bosanquet DC, Wilcox C, Whitehurst L, Cox A, Williams IM, Twine CP. British Society of Endovascular therapy (BSET). Systematic review and meta-analysis of the effect of internal iliac artery exclusion for patients undergoing EVAR. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2017; 53 (04) 534-548
- 14 Nabulsi B, Bianchini Massoni C, Tecchio T. et al. Endovascular repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm using bifurcated stent-graft in a patient with bilateral external iliac artery occlusion. Acta Biomed 2019; 90 (01) 122-126
- 15 Sousa LHD, Baptista-Silva JCC, Vasconcelos V, Flumignan RLG, Nakano LCU. Internal iliac artery revascularisation versus internal iliac artery occlusion for endovascular treatment of aorto-iliac aneurysms. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2020; 7 (07) CD013168 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD013168.pub2.
- 16 Wang L, Liang S, Xu X. et al. A comparative study of the efficacy by using different stent grafts in bell-bottom technique for the treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysm concomitant with iliac artery aneurysm. Ann Vasc Surg 2018; 52: 41-48