Subscribe to RSS
Effectiveness of Phytic Acid as an Etchant in Dentistry: A Systematic Review
The aim of this study was to assess the effect of phytic acid and to compare it with the phosphoric acid etching through a systematic review. systematic search was carried out using PubMed/MEDLINE, Cochrane library, Indmed, Scopus, and Liliacs databases conducted upto January 2022. In vitro studies comparing phytic acid and phosphoric acid as an etchant on tooth surfaces that performed bond strength, smear layer removal, collagen degradation and monomer penetration were included. The risk of bias was assessed considering Checklist for Reporting In-vitro Studies guidelines. Five studies were chosen for full-text assessment out of 830 that were potentially eligible. The studies found that phytic acid improved bond strength, collagen degradation, smear layer removal, and monomer penetration. Every study had a moderate-to-high risk of bias. Phytic acid enhanced the etch and rinse adhesive's binding strength to dentin, effectively eradicated the smear layer, protected dentin collagen from degradation, and had better resin infiltration and minimal effect on pulpal cells.
Article published online:
06 September 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Gardner A, Hobson R. Variations in acid-etch patterns with different acids and etch times. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2001; 120 (01) 64-67
- 2 Van Meerbeek B, Yoshihara K, Yoshida Y, Mine A, De Munck J, Van Landuyt KL. State of the art of self-etch adhesives. Dent Mater 2011; 27 (01) 17-28
- 3 Nassar M, Hiraishi N, Islam MS. et al. Effect of phytic acid used as etchant on bond strength, smear layer, and pulpal cells. Eur J Oral Sci 2013; 121 (05) 482-487
- 4 Schlemmer U, Frølich W, Prieto RM, Grases F. Phytate in foods and significance for humans: food sources, intake, processing, bioavailability, protective role and analysis. Mol Nutr Food Res 2009; 53 (Suppl. 02) S330-S375
- 5 Borggreven JM, Driessens FC. Effect of phytate and hexadecylamine on the permeability of bovine dental enamel. Arch Oral Biol 1983; 28 (05) 375-379
- 6 Pourhajibagher M, Sodagar A, Bahador A. An in vitro evaluation of the effects of nanoparticles on shear bond strength and antimicrobial properties of orthodontic adhesives: a systematic review and meta-analysis study. Int Orthod 2020; 18 (02) 203-213
- 7 Tan M, Chai Z, Sun C. et al. Comparative evaluation of the vertical fracture resistance of endodontically treated roots filled with Gutta-percha and Resilon: a meta-analysis of in vitro studies. BMC Oral Health 2018; 18 (01) 107 DOI: 10.1186/s12903-018-0571-x.
- 8 Lenzi TL, Gimenez T, Tedesco TK, Mendes FM, Rocha Rde O, Raggio DP. Adhesive systems for restoring primary teeth: a systematic review and meta-analysis of in vitro studies. Int J Paediatr Dent 2016; 26 (05) 364-375
- 9 Buonocore MG. MG B.. A simple method of increasing the adhesion of acrylic filling materials to enamel surfaces. J Dent Res 1955; 34 (06) 849-853
- 10 Van Meerbeek B, Yoshihara K, Lanuyt KV. et al. From Buonocore's pioneering acid-etch technique to self adhering restoratives. A status perspective of rapidly advancing dental adhesive technology. J Adhes Dent 2020; 22 (01) 7-34
- 11 Kanca III J. Improving bond strength through acid etching of dentin and bonding to wet dentin surfaces. J Am Dent Assoc 1992; 123 (09) 35-43
- 12 Pashley DH, Tay FR, Carvalho RM. et al. From dry bonding to water-wet bonding to ethanol-wet bonding. A review of the interactions between dentin matrix and solvated resins using a macromodel of the hybrid layer. Am J Dent 2007; 20 (01) 7-20
- 13 Kong K, Hiraishi N, Nassar M, Otsuki M, Yiu CKY, Tagami J. Effect of phytic acid etchant on resin-dentin bonding: monomer penetration and stability of dentin collagen. J Prosthodont Res 2017; 61 (03) 251-258
- 14 Swamy DF, Barretto ES, Mallikarjun SB, Dessai SSR. In vitro evaluation of resin infiltrant penetration into white spot lesions of deciduous molars. J Clin Diagn Res 2017; 11 (09) ZC71-ZC74
- 15 Subramaniam P, Girish Babu KL, Lakhotia D. Evaluation of penetration depth of a commercially available resin infiltrate into artificially created enamel lesions: an in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2014; 17 (02) 146-149
- 16 Grynspan F, Cheryan M. Calcium phytate: effect of pH and molar ratio on in vitro solubility. J Am Oil Chem Soc 1983; 60 (10) 1761-1764
- 17 Selle PH, Cowieson AJ, Cowieson NP, Ravindran V. Protein-phytate interactions in pig and poultry nutrition: a reappraisal. Nutr Res Rev 2012; 25 (01) 1-17
- 18 Mazzoni A, Nascimento FD, Carrilho M. et al. MMP activity in the hybrid layer detected with in situ zymography. J Dent Res 2012; 91 (05) 467-472
- 19 Vidal CMP, Tjäderhane L, Scaffa PM. et al. Abundance of MMPs and cysteine cathepsins in caries-affected dentin. J Dent Res 2014; 93 (03) 269-274
- 20 DeVito-Moraes AG, Francci C, Vidal CMP. et al. Phosphoric acid concentration affects dentinal MMPs activity. J Dent 2016; 53: 30-37
- 21 Nassar M, Hiraishi N, Shimokawa H. et al. The inhibition effect of non-protein thiols on dentinal matrix metalloproteinase activity and HEMA cytotoxicity. J Dent 2014; 42 (03) 312-318
- 22 Toledano M, Yamauti M, Osorio E, Osorio R. Zinc-inhibited MMP-mediated collagen degradation after different dentine demineralization procedures. Caries Res 2012; 46 (03) 201-207
- 23 Forgione D, Nassar M, Seseogullari-Dirihan R, Thitthaweerat S, Tezvergil-Mutluay A. The effect of phytic acid on enzymatic degradation of dentin. Eur J Oral Sci 2021; 129 (02) e12771 DOI: 10.1111/EOS.12771.
- 24 Nassar M, Islam MS. , A C SA, et al. Resin-based cement applied to enamel and dentin pre-treated with phytic acid: an in vitro study. Appl Sci 2021; 11 (24) 11976 DOI: 10.3390/app112411976.
- 25 Yilmaz S, Ünal F, Yüzbaşıoğlu D, Çelik M. DNA damage in human lymphocytes exposed to four food additives in vitro. Toxicol Ind Health 2014; 30 (10) 926-937
- 26 Kong K, Islam Md S, Nassar M. et al. Effect of phytic acid etchant on the structural stability of demineralized dentine and dentine bonding. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 2015; 48: 145-152