Subscribe to RSS
Plastic Bronchitis and Human Bocavirus: A Report of Three Cases
This study aims to investigate and analyze the clinical features of coexisting human bocavirus (HBoV) positivity and plastic bronchitis (PB). We present three cases with no known history of cardiac surgery who presented with cough, progressive dyspnea, and atelectasis. They tested positive for HBoV in a real-time polymerase chain reaction of both nasal lavage fluids. They were diagnosed with PB as a result of bronchoscopy and pathology. PB is a rare disease characterized by forming thick rigid casts in the tracheobronchial tree, which can progress to respiratory failure. While asthma or atopy-related type 1 PB was observed in one patient, two patients were diagnosed with PB, which was thought to have developed secondary to viral infections of unknown etiology. As far as we know, HBoV-associated PB cases are rare in the literature. Besides the commonly known infectious agents, we identified a relationship with HBoV in all the presented cases.
Consent to Participate and Consent to Publish
Patients gave written permission to participate and be published and share the images.
The patients gave written consent to participate and be published and share the images.
Availability of Data and Materials
Data and materials cannot be used without permission.
Received: 31 December 2022
Accepted: 24 April 2023
Article published online:
26 May 2023
© 2023. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Deng J, Zheng Y, Li C, Ma Z, Wang H, Rubin BK. Plastic bronchitis in three children associated with 2009 influenza A(H1N1) virus infection. Chest 2010; 138 (06) 1486-1488
- 2 Rüegger CM, Bär W, Iseli P. Simultaneous atelectasis in human bocavirus infected monozygotic twins: was it plastic bronchitis?. BMC Pediatr 2013; 13: 209
- 3 Grutter G, Di Carlo D, Gandolfo F. et al. Plastic bronchitis after extracardiac Fontan operation. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94 (03) 860-864
- 4 Kim S, Cho HJ, Han DK. et al. Recurrent plastic bronchitis in a child with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) and influenza B virus infection. J Korean Med Sci 2012; 27 (09) 1114-1119
- 5 Lu Z, Zheng Y. Plastic bronchitis associated with adenovirus infection. Lancet Infect Dis 2018; 18 (04) 474
- 6 Ma X, Endo R, Ishiguro N. et al. Detection of human bocavirus in Japanese children with lower respiratory tract infections. J Clin Microbiol 2006; 44 (03) 1132-1134
- 7 Bowen A, Oudjhane K, Odagiri K, Liston SL, Cumming WA, Oh KS. Plastic bronchitis: large, branching, mucoid bronchial casts in children. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1985; 144 (02) 371-375
- 8 Brogan TV, Finn LS, Pyskaty Jr DJ. et al. Plastic bronchitis in children: a case series and review of the medical literature. Pediatr Pulmonol 2002; 34 (06) 482-487
- 9 Wang X, Song Z, Hu W, Song L. Clinical analysis of airway mucus embolism in children with mycoplasma pneumonia. Int J Pediatr 2017; 44: 656-658
- 10 Chung JY, Han TH, Kim JS, Kim SW, Park CG, Hwang ES. Th1 and Th2 cytokine levels in nasopharyngeal aspirates from children with human bocavirus bronchiolitis. J Clin Virol 2008; 43 (02) 223-225
- 11 Bagasi AA, Howson-Wells HC, Clark G. et al. Human bocavirus infection and respiratory tract disease identified in a UK patient cohort. J Clin Virol 2020; 129: 104453
- 12 Shah SS, Drinkwater DC, Christian KG. Plastic bronchitis: is thoracic duct ligation a real surgical option?. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 81 (06) 2281-2283
- 13 Wang L, Wang W, Sun JM. et al. Efficacy of fiberoptic bronchoscopy and bronchoalveolar lavage in childhood-onset, complicated plastic bronchitis. Pediatr Pulmonol 2020; 55 (11) 3088-3095