Subscribe to RSS
Career Transitions: What Are Other Options to Clinical Practice That May Align with New or Evolving Priorities/Goals?
Career transitions are an essential part of the evolution of one's professional life. Transitions can take place at any time and for a variety of reasons. In this article, I review career transitions in the context of my own experiences and offer some advice and guidelines for making a career transition. The article also reviews what opportunities exist for career development and how that can lead to new and future prospects. Finally, achieving work–life balance can be difficult in today's health care landscape. Setting priorities and revisiting one's life plan on a regular basis establishes a professional “true north” to help navigate the challenges and disruptions of health care.
Article published online:
24 March 2023
© 2023. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Angood PB, Bhatt J, Sacopulos MJ. Physician career transitions. J Med Pract Manage 2022; 38 (01) 39-43 Accessed on March 5, 2023 at: https://www.physicianleaders.org/publications/jmpm/KCjLzu1bHbbq5iClXi8et
- 2 Sinsky CA, Brown RL, Stillman MJ, Linzer M. COVID-related stress and work intentions in a sample of US health care workers. Mayo Clin Proc Innov Qual Outcomes 2021; 5 (06) 1165-1173
- 3 Fels A. Do women lack ambition?. Harv Bus Rev 2004; 82 (04) 50-56
- 4 Cabrera EF. Opting out and opting in: understanding the complexities of women's career transitions. Career Dev Int 2007; 12 (03) 218-237
- 5 Darves B. Outside the fold: exploring non-clinical work opportunities for physicians. NEJM Career Center. July 1, 2019
- 6 Montanez R. What to make a career change? Here's how and why 3 medical doctors did it. Forbes 2020