Subscribe to RSS
A Novel Method to Treat Obstructive Eustachian Tube Dysfunction in the Mucosal Type of Chronic Otitis Media
Introduction Treatment of Eustachian tube dysfunction has remained an enigma for a long time. Balloon tuboplasty, even though effective, is not considered by many, as it is invasive, expensive, and cumbersome. Hence, we tried to find some simple and inexpensive solution for the same in chronic otitis media. In this background, we evaluated the use of the Eustachian barotubometer to treat obstructive Eustachian tube dysfunction in mucosal chronic otitis media.
Materials and Methods The pilot study was undertaken in a tertiary referral hospital with 25 cases and 30 controls. Case group patients were administered Eustachian barotubometer therapy along with ciprofloxacin-dexamethasone ear drops and xylometazoline nasal drops until the recovery or up to 10 days. Control group patients received the same ear and nasal drops along with Valsalva maneuver for the same duration.
Results The recovery of the Eustachian tube was categorized as complete, partial, or nil. It was found that the case group had 60 and 32% complete and partial recovery, respectively, while it was 33.33 and 13.33% in the control group. The recovery was faster with Eustachian barotubometer therapy than with the Valsalva maneuver. No complications were observed with the new procedure.
Conclusion The Eustachian barotubometer is a simple, inexpensive device that can be used to treat Eustachian tube dysfunction in chronic otitis media. This device is particularly suitable for the peripheral health care centers of developing countries.
Article published online:
26 May 2023
© 2023. Indian Society of Otology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Bhat VK, Kumar PR, Nag M, Hegde J. Comparison of a eustachian barotubometer with a tympanometer to evaluate eustachian tube function in chronic suppurative otitis media. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009; 38 (04) 456-461
- 2 Bhat VK, Marimuthu GS, Herur K, Yadav M. Evaluation of Eustachian tube function in mucosal chronic otitis media: a cost-effective method for developing countries. Ann Otol Neurotol 2018; 1: 111-114
- 3 Lafferty DJ, McKinnon BJ. To balloon or not to balloon, the current state of management of Eustachian tube dysfunction. Ear Nose Throat J 2021; 100 (10) 696-697
- 4 Shan A, Ward BK, Goman AM. et al. Prevalence of Eustachian tube dysfunction in adults in the United States. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 145 (10) 974-975
- 5 Schilder AG, Bhutta MF, Butler CC. et al. Eustachian tube dysfunction: consensus statement on definition, types, clinical presentation and diagnosis. Clin Otolaryngol 2015; 40 (05) 407-411
- 6 Smith ME, Tysome JR. Tests of Eustachian tube function: a review. Clin Otolaryngol 2015; 40 (04) 300-311
- 7 Poe DS, Gopen Q. Eustachian tube dysfunction. In: Ballenger’s Textbook of Otolaryngology. Shelton, Conn.; Hamilton, Ont.; London: People’s Medical Pub: House/B C Decker; 2009: 201-208
- 8 Poe DS, Abou-Halawa A, Abdel-Razek O. Analysis of the dysfunctional eustachian tube by video endoscopy. Otol Neurotol 2001; 22 (05) 590-595
- 9 Hsieh CY, Chang CJ. et al. Tympanoplasty with or without balloon Eustachian tuboplasty for chronic suppurative otitis media with obstructive Eustachian tube dysfunction. Otol Neurotol 2020; 41 (08) 1077-1083
- 10 Dave V, Ruparel M. Correlation of Eustachian tube dysfunction with results of tympanoplasty in mucosal type of chronic suppurative otitis media. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 71 (01) 10-13
- 11 Stangerup SE, Klokker M, Vesterhauge S, Rea P, Harcourt J. Methods to improve the efficacy of autoinflation procedures and to classify Eustachian tube patency. Archives of Medical Case Reports and Case Study. 2021; 4 (01) 1-5
- 12 Cutler JL, Meyer TA, Nguyen SA, O’Malley EM, Thackeray L, Slater PW. Long-term outcomes of balloon dilation for persistent Eustachian tube dysfunction. Otol Neurotol 2019; 40 (10) 1322-1325
- 13 Dai S, Guan GF, Jia J. et al. Clinical evaluation of balloon dilation eustachian tuboplasty surgery in adult otitis media with effusion. Acta Otolaryngol 2016; 136 (08) 764-767
- 14 Singh T, Taneja V, Kulendra K, Farr M, Robinson J, Rejali D. Balloon Eustachian tuboplasty treatment of longstanding Eustachian tube dysfunction. J Laryngol Otol 2017; 131 (07) 614-619
- 15 Tucci DL, McCoul ED, Rosenfeld RM. et al. Clinical consensus statement: balloon dilation of the Eustachian tube. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 161 (01) 6-17
- 16 Han JJ, Park JM, Kim DK, Park SY, Park SN. A pilot study to investigate the therapeutic effect of Valsalva maneuver on otitis media with effusion in adults. Auris Nasus Larynx 2019; 46 (01) 34-37
- 17 Kapadia M, Tarabichi M. Feasibility and safety of transtympanic balloon dilatation of Eustachian tube. Otol Neurotol 2018; 39 (09) e825-e830
- 18 Poe D, Anand V, Dean M. et al. Balloon dilation of the eustachian tube for dilatory dysfunction: a randomized controlled trial. Laryngoscope 2018; 128 (05) 1200-1206
- 19 Ramakrishnan N, D’Souza R, Kadambi P. A systematic literature review of the safety and efficacy of Eustachian balloon tuboplasty in patients with chronic Eustachian tube dysfunction. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 71 (03) 406-412
- 20 McCoul ED, Weinreich HM, Mulder H, Man LX, Schulz K, Shin JJ. Utilization of invasive procedures for adult Eustachian tube dysfunction. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2020; 163 (05) 963-970