Subscribe to RSS
Paratesticular Osteosarcoma—A Rare Tumor with Distinctive Imaging FindingsFunding None.
Extraosseous osteosarcoma (EOO) is a rare mesenchymal malignancy representing 4% of all osteosarcomas and 1% of soft tissue sarcomas. The testes, its supporting structures, that is, paratestes, and the spermatic cord are among the rarest sites for EOO, with only 11 published English language reports to date. We report our experience with a 73-year-old male presenting with left hemiscrotal swelling, noted to have extensive amorphous intratumoral calcification on imaging. He underwent left high inguinal orchidectomy with en bloc hemiscrotectomy, with a final pathologic diagnosis of primary paratesticular osteosarcoma. Our literature review corroborates this distinctive, hitherto overlooked imaging feature.
The study was conducted at the Cancer Institute Chennai, India.
Article published online:
10 April 2023
© 2023. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Longhi A, Bielack SS, Grimer R. et al. Extraskeletal osteosarcoma: a European Musculoskeletal Oncology Society study on 266 patients. Eur J Cancer 2017; 74: 9-16
- 2 Mathew T, Prabhakaran K. Osteosarcoma of the testis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1981; 105 (01) 38-39
- 3 Zukerberg LR, Young RH. Primary testicular sarcoma: a report of two cases. Hum Pathol 1990; 21 (09) 932-935
- 4 Lee JS, Choi YD, Choi C. Primary testicular osteosarcoma with hydrocele. Virchows Arch 2004; 445 (02) 210-213
- 5 Tazi H, Karmouni T, Ouali M, Koutani A, Hachimi M, Lakrissa A. Osteosarcoma of the testis. Int J Urol 2006; 13 (03) 323-324
- 6 Hong R, Lee G, Kim H, Kim CS, Kee KH. Primary paratesticular osteosarcoma: a case report. Oncol Lett 2012; 3 (03) 554-556
- 7 Spirtos G, Abdu RA, Schaub CR. Osteosarcoma of the spermatic cord. J Urol 2019; 145 (04) 832-833
- 8 Beiswanger JC, Woodruff RD, Savage PD, Assimos DG. Primary osteosarcoma of the spermatic cord with synchronous bilateral renal cell carcinoma. Urology 1997; 49 (06) 957-959
- 9 Stella M, Di Somma C, Solari N. et al. Primary osteosarcoma of the spermatic cord: case report and literature review. Anticancer Res 2007; 27 (3B): 1605-1608
- 10 Shin SL, Outwater EK. Benign large cell calcifying Sertoli cell tumor of the testis in a prepubescent patient. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2007; 189 (02) W65-6
- 11 Ugidos L, Suárez A, Cubillo A, Durán I. Mixed paratesticular liposarcoma with osteosarcoma elements. Clin Transl Oncol 2010; 12 (02) 148-149
- 12 Lorigan JG, Shirkhoda A, Dexeus FH. CT and MR imaging of malignant germ cell tumor of the undescended testis. Urol Radiol 1989; 11 (02) 113-117
- 13 Goel A, Kumar P, Jain M, Singh G. Eggshell calcification in a case of longstanding hydrocele. BMJ Case Rep 2020; 13 (01) 13
- 14 Al-Masri A, Al-Shraim M, Abu Al-Samen A, Chetty R, Evans A. Primary paratesticular osteosarcoma: case report and a review of the literature. ScientificWorldJournal 2007; 7: 850-854