Subscribe to RSS
Ambulatory Care Management in Low Blood Pressure Patient with HFrEFFunding None.
Heart failure (HF) affects an estimated 38 million people globally, with most published research estimating a prevalence of 1 to 2% of the adult population. Low blood pressure (BP) is reported in 10 to 15% of patients with HF in clinical trials, although this proportion is much more frequent in routine clinical practice. Low BP in outpatients has a better outcome compared to inpatients. Low BP is often a restricting factor in the use and uptitration of guideline-directed medical therapy (GDMT).
A 57-year-old male presented himself to the HF clinic with complaints of bloating, shortness of breath, and fatigue. The patient had a history of acute coronary syndrome and cardiac arrest, but the results of coronary angiography showed nonsignificant coronary artery disease. Cardiomegaly was seen on chest X-ray. Electrocardiogram showed pathologic q wave II, III, and AvF with poor r wave progression on V1-V6. The patient was admitted due to acute decompensated HF with hypotension. After the initial decongestion patient was treated with sacubitril/valsartan, bisoprolol, and spironolactone in the outpatient clinic. Patient complaints and BP slowly improved during the outpatient phase.
Hypotension remains a challenge in implementing GDMT in HF patients. By following the steps according to algorithm and current guidelines, GDMT can be optimized in these patients.
Article published online:
08 February 2023
© 2023. International College of Angiology. This article is published by Thieme.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Moleerergpoom W, Hengrussamee K, Piyayotai D. et al. Predictors of in-hospital mortality in acute decompensated heart failure (Thai ADHERE). J Med Assoc Thai 2013; 96 (02) 157-164
- 2 Reyes EB, Ha JW, Firdaus I. et al. Heart failure across Asia: same healthcare burden but differences in organization of care. Int J Cardiol 2016; 223: 163-167
- 3 Komajda M, Schöpe J, Wagenpfeil S. et al; QUALIFY Investigators. Physicians' guideline adherence is associated with long-term heart failure mortality in outpatients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: the QUALIFY international registry. Eur J Heart Fail 2019; 21 (07) 921-929
- 4 Lam CS, Anand I, Zhang S. et al. Asian sudden cardiac death in heart failure (ASIAN-HF) registry. Eur J Heart Fail 2013; 15 (08) 928-936
- 5 Siswanto BB, Radi B, Kalim H. et al. Heart failure in NCVC Jakarta and 5 hospitals in Indonesia. CVD Prev Contr 2010; 5 (01) 35-38 DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvdpc.2010.03.005
- 6 Bozkurt B. Response to Ryan and Parwani: heart failure patients with low blood pressure: how should we manage neurohormonal blocking drugs?. Circ Heart Fail 2012; 5 (06) 820-821
- 7 Cautela J, Tartiere JM, Cohen-Solal A. et al. Management of low blood pressure in ambulatory heart failure with reduced ejection fraction patients. Eur J Heart Fail 2020; 22 (08) 1357-1365
- 8 McDonagh TA, Metra M, Adamo M. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2021 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure. Eur Heart J 2021; 42 (36) 3599-3726
- 9 Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: the Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 2016; 37 (27) 2129-2200
- 10 Kemp CD, Conte JV. The pathophysiology of heart failure. Cardiovasc Pathol 2012; 21 (05) 365-371
- 11 Yancy CW, Jessup M, Bozkurt B. et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/HFSA Focused Update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017; 70 (06) 776-803
- 12 Yancy CW, Jessup M, Bozkurt B. et al. 2016 ACC/AHA/HFSA focused update on new pharmacological therapy for heart failure: an update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America. Circulation 2016; 134: e282-e293 DOI: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000435.
- 13 Rosano GMC, Moura B, Metra M. et al. Patient profiling in heart failure for tailoring medical therapy. A consensus document of the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur J Heart Fail 2021; 23 (06) 872-881