Subscribe to RSS
Endoscopic Trans-Aqueductal Procedures for Juxta 4th Ventricular and Posterior Fossa Arachnoid Cyst using Flexible/Video Neuroendoscope: A Novel Approach
Objective Fourth ventricular and juxta fourth ventricular arachnoid cysts (ACs) are rare clinical entities. Conventionally, ACs are managed with either micro-surgical excision or cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) diversionary procedures such as a shunt. Effective treatment modality still remains controversial. Advances in neuroendoscopy have helped in the effective management of this benign condition in a minimally invasive method. Description of a subset of patients with fourth ventricular and juxta fourth ventricular ACs and hydrocephalus who underwent transaqueductal cysto-ventriculostomy with a flexible neuroendoscope was the objective of this study.
Methods This study included the data of patients with fourth ventricular and juxta fourth ventricular ACs and hydrocephalus operated between 2008 and 2019. Of 350 intraventricular neuroendoscopic procedures done during the last 11 years, 8 had obstructive hydrocephalus due to fourth ventricular and juxta ventricular arachnoid cyst. Endoscopic transaqueductal cystoventriculostomy and transaqueductal shunt placement was done in all using a flexible neuro-endoscope.
Results Patients were aged 20 days to 15 months; in the neonate, the diagnosis was established during routine antenatal screening. Surgical procedure was done using a flexible neuro-endoscope. All improved symptomatically, radiologically and are on regular follow-up to date. One patient had postoperative meningitis, which gradually improved with antimicrobial therapy. None required alternative form of treatment such as shunt or craniotomy and microsurgical excision.
Conclusion Endoscopic transaqueductal cysto-ventriculostomy is a safe, effective and minimal invasive modality in the hands of an experienced neurosurgeon for the management of fourth ventricular and juxta ventricular arachnoid cysts.
Keywordshydrocephalus - arachnoid cyst - transaqueductal procedures - flexible neuro endoscopy - minimal invasive.
Article published online:
27 March 2023
© 2023. Asian Congress of Neurological Surgeons. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Harsh IV GR, Edwards MSB, Wilson CB. Intracranial arachnoid cysts in children. J Neurosurg 1986; 64 (06) 835-842
- 2 Helland CA, Lund-Johansen M, Wester K. Location, sidedness, and sex distribution of intracranial arachnoid cysts in a population-based sample. J Neurosurg 2010; 113 (05) 934-939
- 3 Pell MF, Thomas DG. The management of infratentorial arachnoid cyst by CT-directed stereotactic aspiration. Br J Neurosurg 1991; 5 (04) 399-403
- 4 Ciricillo SF, Cogen PH, Harsh GR, Edwards MS. Intracranial arachnoid cysts in children. A comparison of the effects of fenestration and shunting. J Neurosurg 1991; 74 (02) 230-235
- 5 Miscellaneous tumours cysts metastases. In: Osborn AG. ed. Diagnostic Neuroradiology. St Louis, Missouri: Mosby; 1994: 639-642
- 6 Samii M, Carvalho GA, Schuhmann MU, Matthies C. Arachnoid cysts of the posterior fossa. Surg Neurol 1999; 51 (04) 376-382
- 7 Korosue K, Tamaki N, Fujiwara K, Matsumoto S. Arachnoid cyst of the fourth ventricle manifesting normal pressure hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery 1983; 12 (01) 108-110
- 8 Raju S, Sharma RS, Moningi S, Momin J. Neuroendoscopy for intracranial arachnoid cysts in infants: therapeutic considerations. J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg 2016; 77 (04) 333-343
- 9 Choi JU, Kim DS, Huh R. Endoscopic approach to arachnoid cyst. Childs Nerv Syst 1999; 15 (6-7): 285-291
- 10 Raju S, Ramesh S. Endoscopic third ventriculostomy through lamina terminalis: A feasible alternative to standard endoscopic third ventriculostomy. Neurol India 2016; 64 (01) 75-80
- 11 Schroeder HW, Gaab MR, Niendorf WR. Neuroendoscopic approach to arachnoid cysts. J Neurosurg 1996; 85 (02) 293-298
- 12 Martinoni M, Toni F, Lefosse M, Pozzati E, Marliani AF, Mascari C. Endoscopic treatment of a fourth ventricle arachnoid cyst via the third ventricle: a case report. Neurosurgery 2014; 10 (Suppl. 02) E374-E377 , discussion E377–E378 DOI: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000000335.
- 13 Matula C, Reinprecht A, Roessler K, Tschabitscher M, Koos WT. Endoscopic exploration of the IVth ventricle. Minim Invasive Neurosurg 1996; 39 (03) 86-92
- 14 Gallo P, Szathmari A, Simon E. et al. The endoscopic trans-fourth ventricle aqueductoplasty and stent placement for the treatment of trapped fourth ventricle: long-term results in a series of 18 consecutive patients. Neurol India 2012; 60 (03) 271-277
- 15 Anandh B, Mohanty A, Sampath S, Praharaj SS, Kolluri S. Endoscopic approach to intraventricular cysticercal lesions. Minim Invasive Neurosurg 2001; 44 (04) 194-196
- 16 Zymberg ST, Paiva Neto MA, Gorgulho AAP, Cavalheiro S. Endoscopic approach to fourth ventricle cysticercosis. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2003; 61 (2A): 204-207 http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0004-282X2003000200009&lng=en10.1590/S0004-282X2003000200009
- 17 Suri A, Goel RK, Ahmad FU, Vellimana AK, Sharma BS, Mahapatra AK. Transventricular, transaqueductal scope-in-scope endoscopic excision of fourth ventricular neurocysticercosis: a series of 13 cases and a review. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2008; 1 (01) 35-39
- 18 Proaño JV, Madrazo I, Avelar F, López-Félix B, Díaz G, Grijalva I. Medical treatment for neurocysticercosis characterized by giant subarachnoid cysts. N Engl J Med 2001; 345 (12) 879-885
- 19 Bergsneider M. Endoscopic removal of cysticercal cysts within the fourth ventricle. Technical note. J Neurosurg 1999; 91 (02) 340-345
- 20 Feletti A, Alicandri-Ciufelli M, Pavesi G. Transaqueductal trans-Magendie fenestration of arachnoid cyst in the posterior fossa. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2016; 158 (04) 655-662
- 21 Longatti P, Basaldella L, Feletti A, Fiorindi A, Billeci D. Endoscopic navigation of the fourth ventricle. Technical note and preliminary experience. Neurosurg Focus 2005; 19 (06) E12 DOI: 10.3171/foc.2005.19.6.13.
- 22 Longatti P, Fiorindi A, Feletti A, D'Avella D, Martinuzzi A. Endoscopic anatomy of the fourth ventricle. J Neurosurg 2008; 109 (03) 530-535 DOI: 10.3171/JNS/2008/109/9/0530.
- 23 Karabatsou K, Hayhurst C, Buxton N, O'Brien DF, Mallucci CL. Endoscopic management of arachnoid cysts: an advancing technique. J Neurosurg 2007; 106 (6, Suppl) 455-462