Evaluation of image-enhanced endoscopic technology using advanced diagnostic endoscopy for the detection of early gastric cancer: a pilot study
submitted 25 July 2016
accepted after revision 24 May 2017
12 September 2017 (online)
Background and study aims Image-enhanced endoscopy (IEE) plays an important role in early detection and detailed examination of early gastric cancer (EGC). The current study aimed to clarify the efficacy of IEE using advanced diagnostic endoscopy for EGC detection without magnification.
Patients and methods We performed endoscopic examinations without magnification in patients referred to our hospital with a diagnosis of upper gastrointestinal tumor detected through routine screening endoscopy. In this study, we used three IEE technologies: narrow-band imaging; blue laser imaging; and i-scan optical enhancement. The detection rates for EGC between IEE and white-light imaging (WLI) were compared.
Results Between July 2013 and June 2014, 156 patients were enrolled. Among upper gastrointestinal tumors, we analyzed endoscopic examination results of 119 lesions that were histologically diagnosed as EGC in 109 patients. The EGC detection rate in the IEE plus WLI groups was 77.3 %. Although the EGC detection rate in the IEE group was higher than that in the WLI group (80.0 % vs. 70.3 %), there was no significant difference between these two modalities. An important detection factor using IEE was tumor circumference, where the rate of detection in the anterior wall and lesser curvature was significantly higher than that in the posterior wall and greater curvature (P = 0.046). An important detection factor using WLI was color variation, where the rate of occurrence of a reddened or pale tumor was significantly higher than that of normal colored tumors (P = 0.030).
Conclusions The detection rate of EGC without magnification was similar between the IEE group and the WLI group. Important detection factors differed between IEE and WLI; therefore, the IEE and WLI modalities have different characteristics regarding EGC detection. Consequently, we propose to use both IEE and WLI in the evaluation of EGC.
- 1 Muto M, Yao K, Kaise M. et al. Magnifying endoscopy simple diagnostic algorithm for early gastric cancer (MESDA-G). Dig Endosc 2016; 28: 379-393
- 2 Soetikno R, Kaltenbach T, Yeh R. et al. Endoscopic mucosal resection for early cancers of the upper gastrointestinal tract. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 4490-4498
- 3 Ezoe Y, Muto M, Uedo N. et al. Magnifying narrowband imaging is more accurate than conventional white-light imaging in diagnosis of gastric mucosal cancer. Gastroenterology 2011; 141: 2017-2025
- 4 Maki S, Yao K, Nagahama T. et al. Magnifying endoscopy with narrow-band imaging is useful in the differential diagnosis between low-grade adenoma and early cancer of superficial elevated gastric lesions. Gastric Cancer 2013; 16: 140-146
- 5 Kato M, Kaise M, Yonezawa J. et al. Magnifying endoscopy with narrow-band imaging achieves superior accuracy in the differential diagnosis of superficial gastric lesions identified with white-light endoscopy: a prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 72: 523-529
- 6 Tajiri H, Niwa H. Recent Advances in Electronic Endoscopes: Image-enhanced endoscopy. JMAJ 2008; 51: 199-203
- 7 Muto M, Minashi K, Yano T. et al. Early detection of superficial squamous cell carcinoma in the head and neck region and esophagus by narrow band imaging: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28: 1566-1572
- 8 Yao K, Doyama H, Gotoda T. et al. Diagnostic performance and limitations of magnifying narrow-band imaging in screening endoscopy of early gastric cancer: a prospective multicenter feasibility study. Gastric Cancer 2014; 17: 669-679
- 9 Yao K, Anagnostopoulos GK, Ragunath K. Magnifying endoscopy for diagnosing and delineating early gastric cancer. Endoscopy 2009; 41: 462-467
- 10 Yao K, Iwashita A, Tanabe H. et al. Novel zoom endoscopy technique for diagnosis of small flat gastric cancer: a prospective, blind study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007; 5: 869-878
- 11 Subramanian V, Ragunath K. Advanced endoscopic imaging: a review of commercially available technologies. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014; 12: 368-376 .e1
- 12 Horimatsu T, Sano Y, Tanaka S. et al. Next-generation narrow band imaging system for colonic polyp detection: a prospective multicenter randomized trial. Int J Colorectal Dis 2015; 30: 947-954
- 13 Osawa H, Yamamoto H. Present and future status of flexible spectral imaging color enhancement and blue laser imaging technology. Dig Endosc 2014; 26: 105-115
- 14 Kaneko K, Oono Y, Yano T. et al. Effect of novel bright image enhanced endoscopy using blue laser imaging (BLI). Endosc Int Open 2014; 2: E212-E219
- 15 Yoshida N, Yagi N, Inada Y. et al. Ability of a novel blue laser imaging system for the diagnosis of colorectal polyps. Dig Endosc 2014; 26: 250-258
- 16 Kodashima S, Fujishiro M, Ono S. et al. Evaluation of a new image-enhanced endoscopic technology using band-limited light for detection of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Dig Endosc 2014; 26: 164-171
- 17 Sano Y, Ikematsu H, Fu KI. et al. Meshed capillary vessels by use of narrow-band imaging for differential diagnosis of small colorectal polyps. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69: 278-283
- 18 Uedo N, Ishihara R, Iishi H. et al. A new method of diagnosing gastric intestinal metaplasia: narrow-band imaging with magnifying endoscopy. Endoscopy 2006; 38: 819-824
- 19 Kuznetsov K, Lambert R, Rey JF. Narrow-band imaging: potential and limitations. Endoscopy 2006; 38: 76-81
- 20 Miyaki R, Yoshida S, Tanaka S. et al. A computer system to be used with laser-based endoscopy for quantitative diagnosis of early gastric cancer. J Clin Gastroenterol 2015; 49: 108-115
- 21 Neumann H, Fujishiro M, Wilcox CM. et al. Present and future perspectives of virtual chromoendoscopy with i-scan and optical enhancement technology. Dig Endosc 2014; 26: 43-51
- 22 Tsuji Y, Ohata K, Sekiguchi M. et al. Magnifying endoscopy with narrow-band imaging helps determine the management of gastric adenomas. Gastric Cancer 2012; 15: 414-418
- 23 Yao K, Anagnostopoulos GK, Ragunath K. Magnifying endoscopy for diagnosing and delineating early gastric cancer. Endoscopy 2009; 41: 462-467