Prevalence of Eating Disorders in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes: A Cohort Comparison of Patients and Controls
received 05 April 2016
revised 08 December 2016
accepted 08 February 2017
13 April 2017 (eFirst)
To determine the prevalence of eating disorders (ED) in a cohort of patients with type 2 diabetes (T2DM), to identify the more predominant forms of ED, and to clarify if ED is associated with impaired metabolic control.
A cohort of 517 patients with T2DM aged≥40 years and a control cohort of 304 patients without diabetes, age and gender matched, were enrolled from 3 primary care centres. All subjects completed the Questionnaire of Eating and Weight Patterns-Revised (QEWP-R), followed by a structured interview (EDE 17th version).
The overall prevalence of ED in patients with T2DM and control cohorts was 32.5% and 19.7%, respectively (p<0.001). The frequency of ED in the patients with T2DM cohort was significantly higher in male than in female: 61.9% vs. 38.1% of the ED, respectively (p<0.001). The most prevalent form was unspecified feeding or eating disorder, mainly uncontrolled picking at food in 24.6% of subjects, which is significantly more prevalent in the patients with T2DM cohort than in controls, 24.6% vs. 14.5% (p<0.001). Mean HbA1c was 7.15%±1.1% (55 mmol/mol, 159 mg/dL) and 6.84%±1.1% (51 mmol/mol,150 mg/dL) in patients with T2DM with ED and without ED, respectively (p=0.047).
ED have a high prevalence in patients with T2DM, and the coexistence of type 2 diabetes and ED significantly affects metabolic control in these patients.
- 1 Stanton AL, Collins CA, Sworowski LA. Adjustment to chronic illniess: Theory and research. In: Handbook of health psychology. Baum A, Revenon TA, Singer JS. (eds.). pp 387-403 Mahway Nk: Erlbaum; 2001
- 2 UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group. Intensive blood glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk complications in patients with type 2 diabetes. Lancet 1998; 352: 837-853
- 3 Gavard J, Lustman P, Clouse R. Prevalence of depression in adults with diabetes: an epidemiological evaluation. Diabetes Care 1993; 16: 1167-1178
- 4 de Groot M, Jacobson A, Samson J. et al. Glycemic control an major depression in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Psychosom 1999; 46: 425-435 1999
- 5 Kenardy J, Mensch M, Bowen K. et al. A comparison of eating behaviours in newly diagnosed NIDDM patients and case-matched control subjects. Diabetes Care 1994; 17: 1197-1199
- 6 Larrañaga A, Garcia-Mayor RV. Disordered eating behaviors in type 1 diabetics. WJD 2011; 2: 189-195
- 7 Young V, Eiser C, Johnson B. et al. Eating problems in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Diabet Med 2013; 30: 189-198
- 8 Fairburn CG, Cooper Z, O’Connor ME. Eating disorder examination, edition 17.OD. The Center for Research in Dissemination at Oxford April 2014. Available at: http://www.credo-oxford.com/pdfs/EDE_17.0D.pdf
- 9 American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 5th Ed. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2013
- 10 Herpertz S, Albus C, Lichtblau K. et al. Relationship of weight and eating disorders in type 2 diabetic patients: A multicentre study. Int J Eat Disrod 2000; 28: 68-77
- 11 Crow S, Kendall D, Praus B. et al. Binge eating and other psychopathology in patients with type II diabetes mellitus. Int J Eat Disord 2001; 30: 222-226
- 12 Mannucci E, Tesi F, Ricca V. et al. Eating behaviour in obese patients with and without type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2002; 26: 848-853
- 13 Menneghini LF, Spadola J, Florez H. Prevalence and associations of Binge Eating Disorder in a Multiethnic population with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2006; 29: 2760
- 14 TODAY study. Binge eating, mood and quality of life in youth with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2011; 34: 858-860
- 15 Kenardy J, Mensch M, Bowen K. et al. Disordered eating in type 2 diabetes. Eating Behav 2001; 2: 183-192
- 16 Allison K, Crow SJ, Reeves RR. et al. Binge eating disorder and Nigth Eating Syndrome in adults with type 2 diabetes. Obesity 2007; 15: 1287-1293
- 17 Wing RR, Marcus MD, Epstein LH. et al. Binge eating in obese patients with type 2 diabetes. Int J Eat Disord 1989; 8: 671-679