Instructions for Radiological Case ReportsArtikel in mehreren Sprachen: English | deutsch
18. Oktober 2016
23. Dezember 2016
23. März 2017 (online)
Purpose This paper explains the purpose and structure of a radiological case report and provides guidance for radiologists with respect to the writing of a well-structured patient case report.
Materials and Methods The current literature and the author’s experience as a writer were used to create a manual that describes steps for preparing a radiological case report containing all of the important ingredients for effective communication.
Results Case reports are the first line of evidence in documenting clinical observations in the literature. A case report should be written succinctly and consists of four structured main sections: introduction, description of the case, discussion and conclusion. Its structure follows the structure of an original research article, whereby the description of the case of the case report corresponds to the materials and methods section of the research article. The introduction provides the subject and merit of the case report with respect to the published literature. The case description presents the case in detail and chronological order to allow for plausibility. The discussion compares the case with the published literature and summarizes the essential features. A case report, like an original article, must provide a justified conclusion. The conclusion should be brief and be applicable to clinical practice.
Conclusion The unique quality of the case, proper preparation and a clear conclusion are essential for a case report to be published.
Case reports are the first line of evidence in documenting clinical observations in the literature
The structure of a case report structure follows the structure of an original research article
The unique quality of the case, proper preparation and a clear conclusion are essential for a case report to be published.
Bannas P. Anleitung zum Schreiben eines radiologischen Fallberichts. Fortschr Röntgenstr 2017; 189: 333 – 337
- 1 Jenicek M. Clinical Case Reporting in Evidence-Based Medicine. 2. Aufl. Hodder Arnold Publication; 2001
- 2 Cohen H. How to write a patient case report. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2006; 63: 1888-1892
- 3 Green BN. Johnson CD. How to write a case report for publication. J Chiropr Med 2006; 5: 72-82
- 4 Barnard CN. The operation. A human cardiac transplant: an interim report of a successful operation performed at Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town. South African medical journal = Suid-Afrikaanse tydskrif vir geneeskunde 1967; 41: 1271-1274
- 5 Nield LS. Writing case reports for the clinical literature: practical approach for the novice author. J Grad Med Educ 2011; 3: 445
- 6 Gagnier JJ. Riley D. Altman DG. et al. The CARE guidelines: consensus-based clinical case reporting guideline development. Deutsches Arzteblatt international 2013; 110: 603-608
- 7 DeBakey L. DeBakey S. The case report. I. Guidelines for preparation. International journal of cardiology 1983; 4: 357-364
- 8 Bannas P. Adam G. Bley TA. Instructions for original radiological research manuscripts. Fortschr Röntgenstr 2013; 185: 533-538
- 9 Kliewer MA. Writing it up: a step-by-step guide to publication for beginning investigators. American journal of roentgenology 2005; 185: 591-596
- 10 Wells WA. Me write pretty one day: how to write a good scientific paper. The Journal of cell biology 2004; 165: 757-758
- 11 RöFo. RöFo Autorenhinweise. In, Fortschr Röntgenstr 2016
- 12 Spink C. Berliner C. Bannas P. Mediale Schenkelhalsfraktur bei Klippel-Trenaunay-Syndrom: CT-Angiografie entscheidend für Therapie. [Article in German]. Rofo 2016; 188: 961-963 . Epub 2016 Jun 14
- 13 Bannas P. Adam G. Habermann C. Successful image guided implantation of a percutaneous gastrostomy in a previously operated Billroth II stomach. Fortschr Röntgenstr 2009; 181: 904-905
- 14 Rosenfeldt FL. Dowling JT. Pepe S. et al. How to write a paper for publication. Heart, lung & circulation 2000; 9: 82-87
- 15 Martyn C. Case reports, case series and systematic reviews. QJM 2002; 95: 197-198
- 16 http://pubs.rsna.org/pb/assets/raw/Radiology/PIA/Courses/03_Dos%20and%20Donts_Kallmes.pdf
- 17 Bordage G. Reasons reviewers reject and accept manuscripts: the strengths and weaknesses in medical education reports. Academic medicine: journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges 2001; 76: 889-896
- 18 Briscoe MH. Preparing Scientific Illustrations. 2nd ed. New York: Springer; 1995