Subscribe to RSS
The Heath of The Peri-Implant Phenotype after Immediate Insertion and Loading of One-Piece and Two-Piece Dental Implants in the Anterior Region. A Clinical and Cone-Beam Computed Tomographic Study
Objective This study aimed to provide an inclusive comparison between the peri-implant phenotype of immediately placed in fresh extraction socket one-piece and two-piece implants with immediate loading in the anterior region.
Materials and Methods Twenty-two patients with a mean age of 36 ± 4.6 (4 males and 18 females)) were randomly allocated to the one-piece and the two-piece groups. Each patient had one immediate implant placement with immediate loading by provisional restorations. Gingival Index, Peri-implant Probing depth, Papilla Presence Index, and, Implant Quality Score were recorded at 3, 6, 9 months, and 18 months. Cone beam computerized tomography is utilized to assess peri-implant bone for 1 year.
Statistical analysis A two-sample t-test was used to compare the two groups.
Results Both groups showed similar clinical presentations. For group two, Gingival Index, Papilla Presence Index, Peri-implant Index, Implant Quality Score, and eri-implant bone level showed statistically significant improvement. Group one showed a non-significant increase in bone density.
Conclusions The peri-implant phenotype showed more predictable treatment outcomes in the context of health and esthetics in two-pieces than in one-piece.
Article published online:
04 January 2023
© 2022. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Avila-Ortiz G, Gonzalez-Martin O, Couso-Queiruga E, Wang H-L. The peri-implant phenotype. J Periodontol 2020; 91 (03) 283-288 DOI: 10.1002/JPER.19-0566.
- 2 Nettemu SK, Nettem S, Singh VP. et al. Multilevel analysis of site, implant, and patient-level factors with peri-implant bleeding on probing: a cross sectional study. Int J Implant Dent 2021; 7 (01) 77 DOI: 10.1186/s40729-021-00315-0.
- 3 Babbush CA. A new atraumatic system for tooth removal and immediate implant restoration. Implant Dent 2007; 16 (02) 139-145 DOI: 10.1097/ID.0b013e3180581656.
- 4 Avila-Ortiz G, Elangovan S, Kramer KWO, Blanchette D, Dawson DV. Effect of alveolar ridge preservation after tooth extraction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent Res 2014; 93 (10) 950-958 DOI: 10.1177/0022034514541127.
- 5 Song YW, Yoon SW, Cha JK, Jung UW, Jung RE, Thoma DS. Soft tissue dimensions following tooth extraction in the posterior maxilla: a randomized clinical trial comparing alveolar ridge preservation to spontaneous healing. J Clin Med 2020; 9 (08) 2583
- 6 Kumar K, Singh R, Mugal V, Dhingra N, Priyadarshni P, Bandgar S. Preservation of alveolar ridge using graft material after tooth extraction: a clinical trial. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2021; 13 (Suppl. 01) S456-S460 DOI: 10.4103/jpbs.JPBS_603_20.
- 7 Chappuis V, Araújo MG, Buser D. Clinical relevance of dimensional bone and soft tissue alterations post-extraction in esthetic sites. Periodontol 2000 2017; 73 (01) 73-83 DOI: 10.1111/prd.12167.
- 8 Paolantonio M, Dolci M, Scarano A. et al. Immediate implantation in fresh extraction sockets. A controlled clinical and histological study in man. J Periodontol 2001; 72 (11) 1560-1571 DOI: 10.1902/jop.2001.72.11.1560.
- 9 Aparicio C, Rangert B, Sennerby L. Immediate/early loading of dental implants: a report from the Sociedad Espanola de Implantes World Congress Consensus Meeting in Barcelona, Spain, 2002. 2003;5(1):57–60. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8208.2003.tb00183.x
- 10 Kan JYK, Rungcharassaeng K, Deflorian M, Weinstein T, Wang HL, Testori T. Immediate implant placement and provisionalization of maxillary anterior single implants. Periodontol 2000 2018; 77 (01) 197-212 DOI: 10.1111/prd.12212.
- 11 Noelken R, Moergel M, Pausch T, Kunkel M, Wagner W. Clinical and esthetic outcome with immediate insertion and provisionalization with or without connective tissue grafting in presence of mucogingival recessions: a retrospective analysis with follow-up between 1 and 8 years. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 2018; 20 (03) 285-293 DOI: 10.1111/cid.12595.
- 12 Mailoa J, Miron RJ, Wang HL. Risk indicators and prevention of implant soft-tissue complications: interproximal papillae loss and midfacial implant mucosal recessions. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2017; 38 (07) 436-443 , quiz 444
- 13 Durrani F, Nahid R, Pandey S, Singh P, Pandey A. One-piece implants: careful approach for complex rehabilitation. Natl J Maxillofac Surg 2021; 12 (02) 266-270 DOI: 10.4103/njms.NJMS_191_20.
- 14 Nassar HI, Abdalla MF. Bacterial leakage of different internal implant/abutment connection. Future Dental Journal 2015; 1 (01) 1-5 . doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fdj.2015.09.001
- 15 Barbosa FT, Zanatta LCS, de Souza Rendohl E, Gehrke SA. Comparative analysis of stress distribution in one-piece and two-piece implants with narrow and extra-narrow diameters: a finite element study. PLoS One 2021; 16 (02) e0245800 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0245800.
- 16 Mishra SK, Chowdhary R, Kumari S. Microleakage at the different implant abutment interface: a systematic review. J Clin Diagn Res 2017; 11 (06) ZE10-ZE15 DOI: 10.7860/JCDR/2017/28951.10054.
- 17 Nandal S, Ghalaut P, Shekhawat H. A radiological evaluation of marginal bone around dental implants: An in-vivo study. Natl J Maxillofac Surg 2014; 5 (02) 126-137 DOI: 10.4103/0975-5950.154813.
- 18 Tarnow DP, Chu SM, Chu SJ. Peri-implantitis in the esthetic zone: a guideline for decision making and treatment modalities. Front Oral Maxillofac Med 2021; 3: 22
- 19 Beshtawi K, Peck M, Chetty M. Review of the radiographic modalities used during dental implant therapy-a narrative. S Afr Dent J 2021; 76: 84-90
- 20 Najafi H, Siadat H, Akbari S, Rokn A. Effects of immediate and delayed loading on the outcomes of all-on-4 treatment: a prospective study. J Dent (Tehran) 2016; 13 (06) 415-422
- 21 Lombardi T, Berton F, Salgarello S. et al. Factors influencing early marginal bone loss around dental implants positioned subcrestally: a multicenter prospective clinical study. J Clin Med 2019; 8 (08) 1168 DOI: 10.3390/jcm8081168.
- 22 Slagter KW, Raghoebar GM, Bakker NA, Vissink A, Meijer HJ. Buccal bone thickness at dental implants in the aesthetic zone: A 1-year follow-up cone beam computed tomography study. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2017; 45 (01) 13-19 DOI: 10.1016/j.jcms.2016.11.004.
- 23 Roux S, Orcel P. Bone loss. Factors that regulate osteoclast differentiation: an update. Arthritis Res 2000; 2 (06) 451-456 DOI: 10.1186/ar127.
- 24 Monje A, Amerio E, Farina R. et al. Significance of probing for monitoring peri-implant diseases. Int J Oral Implantol (New Malden) 2021; 14 (04) 385-399
- 25 Winitsky N, Olgart K, Jemt T, Smedberg JI. A retro-prospective long-term follow-up of Brånemark single implants in the anterior maxilla in young adults. Part 1: Clinical and radiographic parameters. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 2018; 20 (06) 937-944 DOI: 10.1111/cid.12673.
- 26 Evans CD, Chen ST. Esthetic outcomes of immediate implant placements. Clin Oral Implants Res 2008; 19 (01) 73-80 DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0501.2007.01413.x.
- 27 Spray JR, Black CG, Morris HF, Ochi S. The influence of bone thickness on facial marginal bone response: stage 1 placement through stage 2 uncovering. Ann Periodontol 2000; 5 (01) 119-128 DOI: 10.1902/annals.2000.5.1.119.
- 28 Nisapakultorn K, Suphanantachat S, Silkosessak O, Rattanamongkolgul S. Factors affecting soft tissue level around anterior maxillary single-tooth implants. Clin Oral Implants Res 2010; 21 (06) 662-670 DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0501.2009.01887.x.
- 29 Garabetyan J, Malet J, Kerner S, Detzen L, Carra MC, Bouchard P. The relationship between dental implant papilla and dental implant mucosa around single-tooth implant in the esthetic area: a retrospective study. Clin Oral Implants Res 2019; 30 (12) 1229-1237 DOI: 10.1111/clr.13536.
- 30 Roccuzzo M, Layton DM, Roccuzzo A, Heitz-Mayfield LJ. Clinical outcomes of peri-implantitis treatment and supportive care: a systematic review. Clin Oral Implants Res 2018; 29 (Suppl. 16) 331-350 DOI: 10.1111/clr.13287.
- 31 Conte GJ, Rhodes P, Richards D, Kao RT. Considerations for anterior implant esthetics. J Calif Dent Assoc 2002; 30 (07) 528-534
- 32 Ramanauskaite A, Roccuzzo A, Schwarz F. A systematic review on the influence of the horizontal distance between two adjacent implants inserted in the anterior maxilla on the inter-implant mucosa fill. Clin Oral Implants Res 2018; 29 (Suppl. 15) 62-70 DOI: 10.1111/clr.13103.
- 33 Esposito M, Barausse C, Pistilli R. et al. Immediate loading of post-extractive versus delayed placed single implants in the anterior maxilla: outcome of a pragmatic multicenter randomised controlled trial 1-year after loading. Eur J Oral Implantology 2015; 8 (04) 347-358
- 34 Dunning JM. Principles of dental public health. Harvard University Press; 1970
- 35 Salem W, Mahmoud M, Zakaria W, Araby Y. The correlation between peri-implant bone density and the biological implant stability: a two years follow-up. International Journal of Dental Sciences and Research 2018; 6: 48-52 DOI: 10.12691/ijdsr-6-2-6.
- 36 Kalpalatha Reddy T, Kumaravel N. Bone density assessment of oral implant sites using texture parameters. Int J Image Data Fusion 2011; 2 (02) 167-180 DOI: 10.1080/19479832.2010.518572.
- 37 Pavithra LK, Sree Sharmila T, Subbulakshmi P. Texture image classification and retrieval using multi-resolution radial gradient binary pattern. Appl Artif Intell 2021; 35 (15) 2298-2326 DOI: 10.1080/08839514.2021.2001176.
- 38 Misch CE. The implant quality scale: a clinical assessment of the health–disease continuum. Oral Health 1998; 88 (07) 15-20 , 23–25, quiz 25–26