Subscribe to RSS
Small Bowel Obstruction Secondary to Traumatic Incarceration Between Vertebral Fracture: A Case Report in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Central IndiaFunding None.
Bowel injury secondary to blunt trauma abdomen is a commonly encountered entity. However, small bowel obstruction secondary to traumatic incarceration of bowel loops between two translated vertebras in a case of road traffic accident is seldom reported. We report a case of small bowel obstruction in a patient who had suffered spondyloptosis at the L1–L2 level after a motor vehicle accident. We also discuss the diagnostic work up and interventions done to manage the patient. The report also reviews pertinent published literature on the incarceration of the bowel associated with vertebral fractures.
Article published online:
26 December 2022
© 2022. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Meyerding HW. Spondylolisthesis as an etiologic factor in backache. J Am Med Assoc 1938; 111 (22) 1971-1976
- 2 Gharib A, Postel G, Mirza S, Mann FA. A thoracic spine translation injury with lateral facet dislocation. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2002; 178 (06) 1450-1451
- 3 Jing X, Gong Z, Zhang N. et al. Fracture and dislocation of lumbar vertebrae with entrapment of small bowel: a case report and literature review. J Int Med Res 2019; 47 (02) 1043-1051
- 4 Ford WD. Traumatic incarceration of the jejunum between two lumbar vertebrae. J Pediatr Surg 1979; 14 (02) 189-190
- 5 Vermassen F, Van Belleghem Y, Van Velthoven V, Derom F. Acute bowel entrapment between two lumbar vertebrae. Injury 1988; 19 (06) 449-450
- 6 Eldridge TJ, McFall TM, Peoples JB. Traumatic incarceration of the small bowel: case report. J Trauma 1993; 35 (06) 960-961
- 7 Rodger RM, Missiuna P, Ein S. Entrapment of bowel within a spinal fracture. J Pediatr Orthop 1991; 11 (06) 783-785
- 8 Silver SF, Nadel HR, Flodmark O. Pneumorrhachis after jejunal entrapment caused by a fracture dislocation of the lumbar spine. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1988; 150 (05) 1129-1130
- 9 Patterson R, Temple WJ, Tranmer B, Miller SD. Traumatic intervertebral incarceration of ileum: a unique lap belt injury. Injury 1996; 27 (08) 596-598
- 10 Metaizeau JP, Prévot J, Schmitt M, Bretagne MC. Intestinal strangulation between two vertebra following an axial dislocation of L1/L2. J Pediatr Surg 1980; 15 (02) 193-194
- 11 Mollitt DL, Ballantine TV, DeRosa GP. Jejuno-renal injury following traumatic hyperextension. J Trauma 1980; 20 (11) 996-998
- 12 Pesenti S, Blondel B, Faure A, Peltier E, Launay F, Jouve JL. Small bowel entrapment and ureteropelvic junction disruption associated with L3 Chance fracture-dislocation. World J Clin Cases 2016; 4 (09) 264-268
- 13 Vidmar J, Veselko M, Sever M, Oblak C, Smrkolj V. Traumatic jejunal entrapment in a patient with Bechterew disease [article in German]. Unfallchirurg 2002; 105 (01) 63-64
- 14 Davis RE, Mittal SK, Perdikis G, Richards AT, Fitzgibons Jr RJ. Traumatic hyperextension/hyperflexion of the lumbar vertebrae with entrapment and strangulation of small bowel: case report. J Trauma 2000; 49 (05) 958-959
- 15 Ko S, Park NK, Cho KJ. et al. Lower extremity radicular pain caused by entrapped sigmoid colon between L5 and S1 vertebrae. Ann Rehabil Med 2015; 39 (05) 844-847