Subscribe to RSS
Transmitral Thrombectomy via Minithoracotomy in a Patient with Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy
Left ventricular thrombus is a complication of myocardial infarction, ventricular aneurysm, myocarditis, and cardiomyopathies, such as Takotsubo syndrome. We report the case of a 74-year-old woman who was diagnosed as left ventricular thrombus resulting from transient Takotsubo syndrome. The thrombus was completely removed using video-assisted thoracoscopy through right minithoracotomy. This approach is less invasive and can provide better visualization, thereby avoiding left ventriculotomy.
KeywordsTakotsubo cardiomyopathy - cardiac surgery - anticoagulation - cardiovascular disease - coronary artery - thrombectomy
Article published online:
08 February 2023
© 2023. International College of Angiology. This article is published by Thieme.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Haghi D, Papavassiliu T, Heggemann F, Kaden JJ, Borggrefe M, Suselbeck T. Incidence and clinical significance of left ventricular thrombus in tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy assessed with echocardiography. QJM 2008; 101 (05) 381-386
- 2 Sharkey SW, Pink VR, Lesser JR, Garberich RF, Maron MS, Maron BJ. Clinical profile of patients with high-risk Tako-Tsubo cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 2015; 116 (05) 765-772
- 3 Angelini P, Monge J, Simpson L. Biventricular takotsubo cardiomyopathy: case report and general discussion. Tex Heart Inst J 2013; 40 (03) 312-315
- 4 de Gregorio C, Grimaldi P, Lentini C. Left ventricular thrombus formation and cardioembolic complications in patients with Takotsubo-like syndrome: a systematic review. Int J Cardiol 2008; 131 (01) 18-24
- 5 Suzuki R, Kudo T, Kurazumi H. et al. Transapical extirpation of a left ventricular thrombus in Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 8: 135
- 6 Tsukube T, Okada M, Ootaki Y, Tsuji Y, Yamashita C. Transaortic video-assisted removal of a left ventricular thrombus. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 68 (03) 1063-1065
- 7 Zaikokuji K, Sawazaki M, Tomari S, Uemura T. Transmitral thrombectomy to treat a patient with Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2018; 26 (03) 236-238
- 8 Seitz MJ, McLeod MK, O'Keefe MD, Seah PW. A rare cause of Takotsubo cardiomyopathy related left ventricular apical thrombus requiring surgery. Heart Lung Circ 2012; 21 (04) 245-246
- 9 Suzuki K, Totsugawa T, Hiraoka A. et al. A left ventricular thrombus in a patient with primary antiphospholipid syndrome removal under thoracoscopic support. Ann Thorac Surg 2016; 102 (02) e109-e111