Subscribe to RSS
Transperineal Ultrasound as an Adjunctive Modality in the Evaluation of ‘H or N’ Type of Recto-urethral Fistula: Technical Note
Anorectal malformations (ARMs) encompass a complex spectrum of congenital anomalies and H/N type anorectal malformations are extremely rare. In the presence of colostomy, an augmented pressure colostogram with or without retrograde or micturating cystourethrogram is the investigation of choice. Transperineal ultrasound is an imaging technique that allows a fairly accurate morphological assessment of ARMs along with dynamic evaluation of the anorectal structures and pelvic floor anatomy. Here we describe the role of transperineal ultrasound as an adjunctive modality in diagnosis of one such complex anomaly.
Article published online:
07 December 2022
© 2022. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Rangarajan K, Jana M, Wadgera N, Gupta AK, Bajpai M, Kandasamy D. Role of Transperineal ultrasound (TPUS) in children with ambiguous genitalia. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2021; 31 (01) 49-56
- 2 Slater BJ, Fallon SC, Brandt ML, Lopez ME. H-type anorectal malformation: Case report and review of the literature. J Pediatr Surg Case Rep 2014; 2 (02) 89-92
- 3 Sharma S, Gupta DK. Diversities of H-type anorectal malformation: a systematic review on a rare variant of the Krickenbeck classification. Pediatr Surg Int 2017; 33 (01) 3-13
- 4 Bonatti H, Lugger P, Hechenleitner P. et al. Transperineal sonography in anorectal disorders [article in German]. Ultraschall Med 2004; 25 (02) 111-115
- 5 Palmisani F, Krois W, Patsch J, Metzelder M, Reck-Burneo CA. High-resolution transperineal ultrasound in anorectal malformations-can we replace the distal colostogram?. European J Pediatr Surg Rep 2022; 10 (01) e84-e88
- 6 Jardosh Y, Chavda D, Vadel M. Transperineal ultrasonography in infants with anorectal malformation. Int J Sci Res 2017; 6 (03) 1653-1655