Subscribe to RSS
Primary Hydatid Cyst of Lumbar Paravertebral Muscle
Hydatid cyst disease as a zoonosis usually infests the liver and lungs, and it rarely affects muscles. Here, we presented a 36-year-old female patient with low back pain. Radiological evaluation revealed a soft tissue lesion located at the left paravertebral region without vertebral invasion. Surgical exploration and removal of the cyst were performed. The pathological diagnosis was hydatid cyst. After the surgery, the patient was treated with albendazole which is used to decrease the consequences of spillage and the possibility of recurrence. Hydatid cyst disease is rarely seen in paravertebral muscle tissue and needs to be correctly managed. Primary muscle involvement of hydatid cyst must be kept in mind for differential diagnosis of paravertebral cystic mass lesions.
* These authors contributed equally to the research and retain the first authorship.
Article published online:
10 December 2022
© 2022. Asian Congress of Neurological Surgeons. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Salduz A, Koyuncu LO, Dikici F, Talu U. Long-term result of treatment for paraspinal and extradural hydatid cyst: a case report [in Turkish]. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2009; 43 (03) 267-271
- 2 Alimehmeti R, Seferi A, Rroji A, Alimehmeti M. Saphenous neuropathy due to large hydatid cyst within long adductor muscle: case report and literature review. J Infect Dev Ctries 2012; 6 (06) 531-535
- 3 Tekin R, Avci A, Tekin RC, Gem M, Cevik R. Hydatid cysts in muscles: clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management of this atypical presentation. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 2015; 48 (05) 594-598
- 4 Sadeghian H, Motiei-Langroudi R. Hydatid cyst in the lumbar paravertebral muscle: a case report. Cureus 2019; 11 (08) e5353
- 5 Braithwaite PA, Lees RF. Vertebral hydatid disease: radiological assessment. Radiology 1981; 140 (03) 763-766
- 6 Singh S, Sardhara J, Singh AK. et al. Spinal intradural hydatid cyst causing arachnoiditis: a rare etiology of cauda equina syndrome. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine 2016; 7 (04) 282-284