Subscribe to RSS
Tunneled Envelope Flap—Novel Flap Modification for Removal of Impacted Lower Third Molars
Introduction Although surgical extraction of retained lower third molars is one of the most frequently undertaken surgical interventions in oral and maxillofacial surgery, presented in numerous scientific publications every year, there is no unanimous standpoint on the type of flap providing optimal results. This article presents a technique, modified through tunneling involving an envelope and triangular flap.
Clinical Case This article presents a clinical case of extraction of tooth 48 describing step by step in details the implementation of a tunneled envelope flap.
Discussion Each of those two techniques—envelope flap and triangular flap—has its advantages and disadvantages. The presented technique aims to combine the positive features of those two frequently implemented techniques, adding a novel tunneling element.
Conclusion This article aims to demonstrate and describe in details the technique, developed by the author. Further studies are necessary to analyze the results of its implementation.
I.H.A contributed to conceptualization of the technique, first implementation of the technique, investigation, literature research, and writing of the original draft. C.N. helped in methodology, resources—equipment, organization, materials, writing—review and editing, and supervision.
The clinical research was conducted in accordance with the World Medical Association's Declaration of Helsinki.
Article published online:
23 November 2022
© 2022. Bhojia Dental College and Hospital affiliated to Himachal Pradesh University. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Rosa AL, Carneiro MG, Lavrador MA, Novaes Jr AB. Influence of flap design on periodontal healing of second molars after extraction of impacted mandibular third molars. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2002; 93 (04) 404-407
- 2 Hashemipour MA, Tahmasbi-Arashlow M, Fahimi-Hanzaei F. Incidence of impacted mandibular and maxillary third molars: a radiographic study in a Southeast Iran population. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2013; 18 (01) e140-e145
- 3 Glera-Suárez P, Soto-Peñaloza D, Peñarrocha-Oltra D, Peñarrocha-Diago M. Patient morbidity after impacted third molar extraction with different flap designs. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2020; 25 (02) e233-e239
- 4 García García A, Gude Sampedro F, Gallas Torrella M, Gándara Vila P, Madriñán-Graña P, Gándara-Rey JM. Trismus and pain after removal of a lower third molar. Effects of raising a mucoperiosteal flap. Med Oral 2001; 6 (05) 391-396
- 5 Kumar BS, Sarumathi T, Veerabahu M, Raman U. To compare standard incision and comma shaped incision and its influence on post-operative complications in surgical removal of impacted third molars. J Clin Diagn Res 2013; 7 (07) 1514-1518
- 6 Ahmad M, Khan ZA, Khan TU. et al. Influence of surgical flap design (envelope and Szmyd) for removal of impacted mandibular third molars on clinical periodontal parameters: a clinical trial. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2021; 18 (09) 4465 DOI: 10.3390/ijerph18094465.
- 7 Erdogan O, Tatlı U, Ustün Y, Damlar I. Influence of two different flap designs on the sequelae of mandibular third molar surgery. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 15 (03) 147-152
- 8 Baqain ZH, Al-Shafii A, Hamdan AA, Sawair FA. Flap design and mandibular third molar surgery: a split mouth randomized clinical study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2012; 41 (08) 1020-1024
- 9 Kirk DG, Liston PN, Tong DC, Love RM. Influence of two different flap designs on incidence of pain, swelling, trismus, and alveolar osteitis in the week following third molar surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007; 104 (01) e1-e6
- 10 Zhu J, Yuan X, Yan L, Li T, Guang M, Zhang Y. Comparison of postoperative outcomes between envelope and triangular flaps after mandibular third molar surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2020; 78 (04) 515-527
- 11 Alqahtani NA, Khaleelahmed S, Desai F. Evaluation of two flap designs on the mandibular second molar after third molar extractions. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2017; 21 (02) 317-318