Subscribe to RSS
Postnatal Posterior Fossa Arachnoid Cyst: A Developmental Etiology to Be ConsideredFunding None.
Intracranial arachnoid cyst is the most common cystic congenital anomaly in the brain. In this study, we discuss a pregnancy that had serial fetal ultrasound scans throughout the pregnancy and a fetal anomaly scan at 24 weeks of gestation that was normal. The child was born healthy with normal development, but 12 months onward the head began to enlarge. The magnetic resonance imaging of the brain showed a large posterior fossa arachnoid cyst with hydrocephalus. We discuss the postulation to explain this pathogenesis of the cyst. This case highlights that not all symptomatic arachnoid cysts are congenital despite the manifestation being as early as infancy.
Keywordsposterior fossa arachnoid cyst - fetal ultrasound - arachnoid cyst - pathogenesis - acquired - congenital
Article published online:
28 October 2022
© 2022. Asian Congress of Neurological Surgeons. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Al-Holou WN, Yew AY, Boomsaad ZE, Garton HJL, Muraszko KM, Maher CO. Prevalence and natural history of arachnoid cysts in children. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2010; 5 (06) 578-585
- 2 Singaravelu M, Ramakrishnan S, Gopalakrishnan L. Arachnoid cyst—institutional experience. Indian J Neurosurg 2019; 8 (01) 20-24
- 3 Schachenmayr W, Friede RL. Fine structure of arachnoid cysts. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 1979; 38 (04) 434-446
- 4 Pathogenesis of intracranial arachnoid cysts - PubMed. Accessed July 6, 2022 December 4, 2021. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/625699/
- 5 Starkman SP, Brown TC, Linell EA. Cerebral arachnoid cysts. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 1958; 17 (03) 484-500
- 6 Al-Holou WN, Terman S, Kilburg C, Garton HJL, Muraszko KM, Maher CO. Prevalence and natural history of arachnoid cysts in adults. J Neurosurg 2013; 118 (02) 222-231
- 7 Invergo D, Tomita T. De novo suprasellar arachnoid cyst: case report and review of the literature. Pediatr Neurosurg 2012; 48 (03) 199-203
- 8 Choi JU, Kim DS. Pathogenesis of arachnoid cyst: congenital or traumatic?. Pediatr Neurosurg 1998; 29 (05) 260-266
- 9 Sato K, Shimoji T, Yaguchi K, Sumie H, Kuru Y, Ishii S. Middle fossa arachnoid cyst: clinical, neuroradiological, and surgical features. Child's brain 1983; 10 (05) 301-316 DOI: 10.1159/000120129.
- 10 Kumagai M, Sakai N, Yamada H. et al. Postnatal development and enlargement of primary middle cranial fossa arachnoid cyst recognized on repeat CT scans. Child's nervous system: ChNS: official journal of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery 1986; 2 (04) 211-215 DOI: 10.1007/BF00706815.
- 11 Oberbauer RW, Haase J, Pucher R. Arachnoid cysts in children: a European co-operative study. Child's nervous system: ChNS: official journal of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery 1992; 8 (05) 281-286 DOI: 10.1007/BF00300797.
- 12 Struck AF, Murphy MJ, Iskandar BJ. Spontaneous development of a de novo suprasellar arachnoid cyst. Case report. Journal of neurosurgery 2006; 104 (6 Suppl): 426-428 DOI: 10.3171/PED.2006.104.6.426.
- 13 Santamarta D, Aguas J, Ferrer E. The natural history of arachnoid cysts: endoscopic and cine-mode MRI evidence of a slit-valve mechanism. Minimally invasive neurosurgery: MIN 1995; 38 (04) 133-137 DOI: 10.1055/S-2008-1053473.
- 14 Weber R, Voit T, Lumenta C, Lenard HG. Spontaneous regression of a temporal arachnoid cyst. Child's nervous system: ChNS?: official journal of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery 1991; 7 (07) 414-415 DOI: 10.1007/BF00304210.
- 15 Caemaert J, Abdullah J, Calliauw L, Carton D, Dhooge C, van Coster R. Endoscopic treatment of suprasellar arachnoid cysts. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1992; 119 (1–4): 68-73
- 16 Cincu R, Agrawal A, Eiras J. Intracranial arachnoid cysts: current concepts and treatment alternatives. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2007; 109 (10) 837-843
- 17 Özek MM, Urgun K. Neuroendoscopic management of suprasellar arachnoid cysts. World Neurosurg 2013; 79 (2, Suppl): 19.e13-19.e18
- 18 Shim KW, Lee YH, Park EK, Park YS, Choi JU, Kim DS. Treatment option for arachnoid cysts. Childs Nerv Syst 2009; 25 (11) 1459-1466