Subscribe to RSS
Use of Locking Compression Plate and Locking Compression T-Plate for Surgical Arthrodesis of the Carpometacarpal and Distal Tarsal Joints in 13 HorsesFunding None.
Objective The aim of this study was to describe the use of the locking compression plate (LCP) and locking compression T-plate (LCTP) in cases of carpometacarpal and distal tarsal arthrodesis for the treatment of osteoarthritis and small carpal or tarsal bone fractures, and to document clinical outcomes.
Study Design Case records of horses treated with carpometacarpal or distal tarsal arthrodesis via internal fixation using an LCP or LCTP between 2013 and 2021 were reviewed. All cases were evaluated retrospectively. Follow-up information was gained via phone conversation with owners and referring veterinarians.
Results Data were collected for 13 horses that fulfilled the study criteria. A total of eight horses underwent distal tarsal arthrodesis, and five underwent carpometacarpal arthrodesis. Twelve of thirteen horses went back to some level of athletic performance. Eight of 13 returned to the same level, while 4 of 13 returned to a lower level. Minor postoperative complications were recorded in 3 of 13 cases, with all horses suffering manageable short-term complications returning to the same level of work. Two horses suffered a major complication, with one resulting in euthanasia.
Conclusion Carpometacarpal and distal tarsal arthrodesis performed using the LCP and LCTP allowed all surviving horses in the study to obtain immediate postoperative comfort and eventual return to use.
Keywordsarthrodesis - carpometacarpal joint - distal tarsal joints - locking compression plate - equine
All authors contributed to the conception of the study and interpretation, along with drafting and revision of the submitted manuscript.
Ethical Animal Research
No live animals were used to gather data for this research.
No prospective data were collected on client owner animals and the client's confidentiality was maintained in acquisition of this data.
Received: 23 March 2022
Accepted: 29 July 2022
Article published online:
19 September 2022
© 2022. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Auer JA, Furst AE. Tarsal arthrodesis in horses. Equine Vet Educ 2020; 32: 359-364
- 2 Zubrod CJ, Schneider RK, Hague BA, Ragle CA, Gavin PR, Kawcak CE. Comparison of three methods for arthrodesis of the distal intertarsal and tarsometatarsal joints in horses. Vet Surg 2005; 34 (04) 372-382
- 3 Adkins AR, Yovich JV, Steel CM. Surgical arthrodesis of distal tarsal joints in 17 horses clinically affected with osteoarthritis. Aust Vet J 2001; 79 (01) 26-29
- 4 Zubrod CJ, Schneider RK. Arthrodesis techniques in horses. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 2005; 21 (03) 691-711 , vii
- 5 Biedrzycki AH, Grant BD, Nemke B, Markel MD, Morello SL. Arthrodesis of the equine centrodistal and tarsometatarsal joints using a single modified kerf-cut cylinder. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2016; 29 (03) 227-231
- 6 Levine DG, Richardson DW. Clinical use of the locking compression plate (LCP) in horses: a retrospective study of 31 cases (2004-2006). Equine Vet J 2007; 39 (05) 401-406
- 7 Scruton C, Baxter GM, Cross MW, Frisbie DD. Comparison of intra-articular drilling and diode laser treatment for arthrodesis of the distal tarsal joints in normal horses. Equine Vet J 2005; 37 (01) 81-86
- 8 Lamas LP, Edmonds J, Hodge W. et al. Use of ethanol in the treatment of distal tarsal joint osteoarthritis: 24 cases. Equine Vet J 2012; 44 (04) 399-403
- 9 Hague BA, Guccione A. Laser-facilitated arthrodesis of the distal tarsal joints. Clinical Techniques in Equine Practice. 2002; 1: 32-35
- 10 Archer RM, Schneider RK, Lindsay WA, Wilson JW. Arthrodesis of the equine distal tarsal joints by perforated stainless steel cylinders. Equine Vet J Suppl 1988; 6 (06) 125-130
- 11 Barber SM. Arthrodesis of the distal intertarsal and tarsometatarsal joints in the horse. Vet Surg 1984; 13: 227-235
- 12 Bell CD, Wilson DG, Wolken RWE, Panizzi L, Bracamonte JL, Carmalt JL. How to perform ethyl alcohol arthrodesis of the tarsometatarsal joint in the standing horse. AAEP Proceedings. 2009 55. 63-66
- 13 Biedrzycki AH, Grant BG, Nemke B, Morello SL, Markel MD. In vitro biomechanical evaluation of four surgical techniques for fusion of equine centrodistal and tarsometatarsal joints. Am J Vet Res 2016; 77 (10) 1071-1081
- 14 Bohanon TC, Schneider RK, Weisbrode SE. Fusion of the distal intertarsal and tarsometatarsal joints in the horse using intraarticular sodium monoiodoacetate. Equine Vet J 1991; 23 (04) 289-295
- 15 Carmalt JL, Bell C, Panizzi L, Wolker R, Lanovaz J, Wilson DG. Alcohol-facilitated ankylosis of the distal intertarsal and tarsometatarsal joints in the horse. AAEP Proceedings. 2010 56. 31-32
- 16 Dechant JE, Baxter GM, Southwood LL. et al. Use of a three-drill-tract technique for arthrodesis of the distal tarsal joints in horses with distal tarsal osteoarthritis: 54 cases (1990-1999). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003; 223 (12) 1800-1805
- 17 Dowling BA, Dart AJ, Matthews SM. Chemical arthrodesis of the distal tarsal joints using sodium monoiodoacetate in 104 horses. Aust Vet J 2004; 82 (1-2): 38-42
- 18 Edwards GB. Surgical arthrodesis for the treatment of bone spavin in 20 horses. Equine Vet J 1982; 14 (02) 117-121
- 19 Wyn-Jones G, May SA. Surgical arthrodesis for the treatment of osteoarthrosis of the proximal intertarsal, distal intertarsal and tarsometatarsal joints in 30 horses: a comparison of four different techniques. Equine Vet J 1986; 18 (01) 59-64
- 20 Shoemaker RW, Allen AL, Richardson CE, Wilson DG. Use of intra-articular administration of ethyl alcohol for arthrodesis of the tarsometatarsal joint in healthy horses. Am J Vet Res 2006; 67 (05) 850-857
- 21 Brandenberger O, Rossignol F, Bartke S, Bergen TV, Vitte A. Carpal arthrodesis using a minimally invasive approach and locking compression plates: three cases. Equine Vet Educ 2018; 30: 229-236
- 22 Lang HM, Panizzi L, Allen AL, Woodbury MR, Barber SM. Comparison of three drilling techniques for carpometacarpal joint arthrodesis in horses. Vet Surg 2009; 38 (08) 990-997
- 23 Panizzi L, Barber SM, Lang HM, Allen AL, Woodbury MR. Evaluation of a minimally invasive arthrodesis technique for the carpometacarpal joint in horses. Vet Surg 2011; 40 (04) 464-472
- 24 Barber SM, Panizzi L, Lang HM. Treatment of carpometacarpal osteoarthritis by arthrodesis in 12 horses. Vet Surg 2009; 38 (08) 1006-1011
- 25 Irwin JR. The economics of surgical laser technology in veterinary practice. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2002; 32 (03) 549-567
- 26 MacKay AV, Panizzi L, Sparks HD, Barber SM. Second carpal bone slab fracture and subluxation of the middle carpal joint in a horse subsequent to arthrodesis of the carpometacarpal joint. Vet Surg 2015; 44 (02) 242-245
- 27 Curtiss AL, Goodrich LR, Rossignol F, Richardson DW. Pancarpal and partial carpal arthrodesis with 3 locking compression plates in 6 horses. Vet Surg 2018; 47 (05) 692-704
- 28 Carpenter RS, Goodrich LR, Baxter GM, Joyce J, Wallis TW. Locking compression plates for pancarpal arthrodesis in a Thoroughbred filly. Vet Surg 2008; 37 (06) 508-514
- 29 Barr A. Partial carpal arthrodesis for multiple carpal fractures and subluxation in a pony. Equine Vet Educ 1994; 6: 255-258
- 30 Chapman HS, Richardson DW, Ortved KF. Arthrodesis of the metacarpophalangeal and metatarsophalangeal joints to treat osteoarthritis in 17 horses. Vet Surg 2019; 48 (05) 850-857
- 31 Dyson S. Can lameness be graded reliably?. Equine Vet J 2011; 43 (04) 379-382
- 32 Auer JA, Stick AJ, Kummerle JM, Prange T. Equine Surgery. 5th edition. Missouri: Elsevier; 2019: 1386-1394
- 33 Wagner M. General principles for the clinical use of the LCP. Injury 2003; 34 (Suppl. 02) B31-B42
- 34 Nixon AJ. Equine Fracture Repair. 2nd edition. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc; 2020: 525
- 35 Lewis RD. Carpal arthrodesis—indications and techniques. In: Proceedings of the 47th Annual American Association of Equine Practitioners Convention; November 24–28, 2001; San Diego, CA. p 480–483.
- 36 Keller SA, Fürst AE, Kircher P, Ringer S, Kuemmerle JM. Locking compression plate fixation of equine tarsal subluxations. Vet Surg 2015; 44 (08) 949-956