Subscribe to RSS
Homeopathic Eupatorium perfoliatum in the Treatment of COVID-19
I am writing this letter to share my homeopathic clinical experience in Italy, according to my detailed observations from December 2019 to April 2022 in the treatment of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), and consequently to commend the unicist homeopathic approach I took in treating more than 1,000 cases.
From December 2019, when severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was not yet noted, I received in my outpatient clinic several cases of “strange flu” which, in some cases and in a few days, degenerated into pulmonary infection.
As usual, I treated the first cases individually, looking for the most similar unitary remedy, because it is well known that individual unicist therapy is always the best solution to any problem, as masterfully expressed by Dr. Hahnemann (§ 153,154,155,273).
As I treated the individual cases, in a few weeks I began to notice a certain similarity in the symptomatology that each of them presented. After deepening my consideration of the Materia Medica and the Repertory in the context of the by-then identified COVID-19, I decided to study in depth this symptomatology to see if it was possible to find the “genus epidemicus” of the disease, as taught by Dr. Hahnemann (§ 99–103, paragraphs never modified in the various editions),     and in perfect agreement with the logic of homeopathy proposed by Stuart Close: exact observation, correct interpretation, rational explanation and scientific construction.
When repertorizing with the help of the software “Complete Dynamics Master Edition”, the “key symptoms” I found most frequently were essentially always those concerning the 20 rubrics shown in [Fig. 1], in which the remedy Eupatorium perfoliatum emerges strongly, whatever counting or method proposed by the software one chooses to use (Böenninghausen method, standard or simple counting, etc.), always highly repertorized, as can be seen in [Fig. 1].
Prescribing the remedy Eupatorium perfoliatum 30C from the very first cases, according to Hahnemann's dictates that are indicated in the sixth edition of the “Organon of Medicine”, I was able to verify not only the goodness of this repertorization, but also the effectiveness of the remedy even for the rubric “Smell; Loss of, wanting”, where it is not included as an elective remedy.
In the course of 2020, I searched the homeopathic medical literature to see if there had been any other proposals from other homeopaths, and I first came across the Indian Government's proposal for using Arsenicum album, and Dr. Bhatia's analysis of a series of elective remedies, in which Eupatorium perfoliatum was also included in people who presented with symptoms that were not severe. I subsequently read other papers, none of which however mentioned Eupatorium perfoliatum, and none gave precise indications on the use of a single remedy, at least in the early stages where no severe respiratory symptoms were present.    
During (at the time of writing) the 28 months of the pandemic, and also because of the numerous variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, when the symptoms indicated it being moderate with no major respiratory problems present, I always prescribed Eupatorium perfoliatum 30C dynamized in water in the first instance, either alone or in combination with other therapies. This approach has always proved its effectiveness, avoiding the collapse caused by the dangerous “cytokine storm” that would have led the patient to intensive care or, worse, to death, and allowing patients a rapid recovery and improvement of flu symptoms, which almost always occurred within the third day after the onset of symptoms.
I therefore consider it useful to communicate this experience of mine to the homeopathy community, wherein by repertorizing the symptoms of outpatients in conditions that were therefore not serious, I was able to ascertain the apparent effectiveness of Eupatorium perfoliatum – above all in preventing the disease to progress, allowing me to treat all the patients who came to me at home, avoiding dangerous complications and related hospitalization, as well as enabling the rapid improvement of their symptoms.
Received: 26 May 2022
Accepted: 01 July 2022
Article published online:
01 November 2022
© 2022. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Hahnemann S. (translated by Dudgeon RE). Organon of Medicine, 6th ed. B. Jain Publishers; 2019
- 2 Kent JT. Repertory, 6th ed. B. Jain Publishers; 1957
- 3 Clarke JH. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica. B. Jain Publishers; 1900
- 4 Knerr CB. Repertory of Hering's Guiding Symptoms. Philadelphia: FA Davis Co.; 1896
- 5 Von Lippe A. Keynotes and Red Line Symptoms of the Materia Medica. B. Jain Publishers; 1921
- 6 Boericke W. Materia Medica with Repertory. B. Jain Publishers; 1979
- 7 Close S. The Genius of Homoeopathy. Noida, India: B. Jain Publishers; 2008: 978-981
- 8 Vermeulen F. Prisma – Das Arcanum der Materia Medica ans Licht gebracht. Emryss Verlag; 2006
- 9 AYUSH. Advisory for corona virus: Homoeopathy for prevention of corona virus infections; Unani medicines useful in symptomatic management of corona virus infection. Accessed January 30, 2020. Available at: https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1600895
- 10 Dr. Bhatia's Asha Homeopathy.. Coronavirus COVID-19 – Analysis of symptoms from confirmed cases with an assessment of possible homeopathic remedies for treatment and prophylaxis. Accessed January 29, 2020 at: https://www.doctorbhatia.com/treatment/coronavirus-covid-19-symptoms-homeopathic-remedies-for-treatment-and-prophylaxis/?v=cd32106bcb6d
- 11 Masiello DJ. The COVID-19 pandemic: a view from New York City. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 163-166
- 12 To KLA, Fok YYY. Homeopathic clinical features of 18 patients in COVID-19 outbreaks in Hong Kong. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 146-162
- 13 Manchanda RK, Miglani A, Gupta M. et al. Homeopathic remedies in COVID-19: prognostic factor research. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 160-167
- 14 Jethani B, Gupta M, Wadhwani P. et al. Clinical characteristics and remedy profiles of patients with COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 86-93
- 15 Clapers ML, Velat M, Clapers JM, Vidal-Jové J, Mora J. Analysis of homeopathic genus epidemicus for COVID-19 patients in Spain. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 236-243
- 16 World Health Organization. WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 – 11 March, 2020. Available at: https://www.who.int/director-general/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020
- 17 Koyama T, Platt D, Parida L. Variant analysis of SARS-CoV-2 genomes. Bull World Health Organ 2020; 98: 495-504
- 18 Wang J, Jiang M, Chen X, Montaner LJ. Cytokine storm and leukocyte changes in mild versus severe SARS-CoV-2 infection: Review of 3939 COVID-19 patients in China and emerging pathogenesis and therapy concepts. J Leukoc Biol 2020; 108: 17-41