Subscribe to RSS
Primary Angiosarcoma of the Breast: A Rare Case Report in Postmenopausal Women
Primary angiosarcoma (PAS) of the breast is a rare malignant tumor arising from endothelial cells lining the blood vessel and accounts for 0.04% of all breast tumors. It occurs predominantly in young patients usually presenting as nonspecific imaging features and is often overlooked and misdiagnosed at radiology and pathology. Angiosarcoma prognosis is generally poor; however, surgery followed by adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy improves the prognosis. We report a rare case of PAS in a 65-year-old postmenopausal woman. She was diagnosed with PAS based on typical clinical, mammography, ultrasound, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) features followed by core biopsy of the lesion. Our case had the unique features of enlarged vessels within and surrounding the lesion in mammography, as well as in MRI, which could be very helpful for future diagnosis of this rare PAS in postmenopausal women.
This case was approved by the ethical committee for publication.
This work is carried out at department of Radiodiagnosis, J.L.N Hospital and Research Centre, Bhilai, Chhattisgarh.
Article published online:
30 August 2022
© 2022. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Vorburger SA, Xing Y, Hunt KK. et al. Angiosarcoma of the breast. Cancer 2005; 104 (12) 2682-2688
- 2 Glazebrook KN, Magut MJ, Reynolds C. Angiosarcoma of the breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008; 190 (02) 533-538
- 3 Desbiens C, Hogue J-C, Lévesque Y. Primary breast angiosarcoma: avoiding a common trap. Case Rep Oncol Med 2011; 2011: 517047 DOI: 10.1155/2011/517047.
- 4 Lim RF, Goei R. Best cases from the AFIP: angiosarcoma of the breast. Radiographics 2007; 27 (Suppl. 01) S125-S130
- 5 Brown AL, Wahab RA. MRI of primary angiosarcoma of the breast. Radiology 2020; 297 (01) 31 DOI: 10.1148/radiol.2020201377.
- 6 Bordoni D, Bolletta E, Falco G. et al. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast. Int J Surg Case Rep 2016; 20S: 12-15
- 7 Bennani A, Chbani L, Lamchahab M. et al. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast: a case report. Diagn Pathol 2013; 8: 66
- 8 Pandey M, Martin MG. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast: c case report and review of literature. World J Oncol 2014; 5 (03) 144-148
- 9 Varghese B, Deshpande P, Dixit S, Koppiker CB, Jalnapurkar N. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast: a case report. J Radiol Case Rep 2019; 13 (02) 15-25
- 10 Vimugdha P, Shubhangi A, Anjum S. et al. Primary breast angiosarcoma in a postmenopausal female. Breast J 2020; 26 (11) 2257-2259
- 11 Lee K, Jin Seo K, Whang Y. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast: MRI findings. iMRI 2018; 22: 194-199
- 12 Bhosale SJ, Kshirsagar AY, Patil MV, Wader JV, Nangare N, Patil PP. Primary angiosarcoma of breast: a case report. Int J Surg Case Rep 2013; 4 (04) 362-364
- 13 Nagarajan BV, Autkar GM, Lad SV. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast: a case report with multimodality imaging workup. International Journal of Anatomy, Radiology and Surgery 2020; 9 (01) RC09-RC11
- 14 Rohan VS, Hanji AM, Patel JJ, Tankshali RA. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast in a postmenopausal patient. J Cancer Res Ther 2010; 6 (01) 120-122
- 15 Athar M, Singh S, Chaudhary AK. et al. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast in a seventy –year –old female: a rare case report. Ann Res Hosp 2017; 1: 7