Subscribe to RSS
Ewing's Sarcoma of the Gastrointestinal Tract—A Case Series
Ewing's sarcoma is a neoplasm of the undifferentiated small round cells, which generally affects the bone and deep soft tissues of children and adolescents. Extraskeletal Ewing's sarcomas are less common than skeletal Ewing's sarcoma with the most common sites being chest wall, retroperitoneal space, lower extremities, paravertebral region, and gluteal region. Primary Ewing's sarcoma of the gastrointestinal tract is rare. The rarity of cases, lack of specific literature, or guidelines for treatment and varying presentations make these cases challenging to diagnose and to treat. In this series, we share our experience from a tertiary cancer care center in South India. By our knowledge, this is the first case series in literature sharing the experience from a single center in treating four cases of gastrointestinal Ewing's sarcoma.
Article published online:
14 July 2022
© 2022. Spring Hope Cancer Foundation & Young Oncologist Group of Asia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Bong C, Thomson I, Lampe G. Case report and literature review of Ewing's sarcoma in the gastrointestinal tract. Surg Pract 2018; 22 (02) 84-92
- 2 Srivastava S, Arora J, Parakh A, Goel RK. Primary extraskeletal Ewing's sarcoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor of breast. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2016; 26 (02) 226-230
- 3 Aboumarzouk OM, Coleman R, Goepel JR, Shorthouse AJ. PNET/Ewing's sarcoma of the rectum: a case report and review of the literature. BMJ Case Rep 2009;2009:bcr04.2009.1770
- 4 Parcesepe P, Giordano G, Zanella C. et al. Colonic Ewing Sarcoma/PNET associated with liver metastases: a systematic review and case report. Pathol Res Pract 2019; 215 (02) 387-391
- 5 Desai SS, Jambhekar NA. Pathology of Ewing's sarcoma/PNET: current opinion and emerging concepts. Indian J Orthop 2010; 44 (04) 363-368
- 6 Strauss SJ, Frezza AM, Abecassis N. et al; ESMO Guidelines Committee, EURACAN, GENTURIS and ERN PaedCan. Electronic address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bone sarcomas: ESMO-EURACAN-GENTURIS-ERN PaedCan Clinical Practice Guideline for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol 2021; 32 (12) 1520-1536
- 7 Guimarães JB, Rigo L, Lewin F, Emerick A. The importance of PET/CT in the evaluation of patients with Ewing tumors. Radiol Bras 2015; 48 (03) 175-180
- 8 Zöllner SK, Amatruda JF, Bauer S. et al. Ewing sarcoma-diagnosis, treatment, clinical challenges and future perspectives. J Clin Med 2021; 10 (08) 1685 DOI: 10.3390/jcm10081685.
- 9 Orr WS, Denbo JW, Billups CA. et al; Jude Children's Research Hospital Experience. Analysis of prognostic factors in extraosseous Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: review of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital experience. Ann Surg Oncol 2012; 19 (12) 3816-3822