Subscribe to RSS
Transesophageal Echocardiography of Mitral Valve Repair in a Case of Sinus of Valsalva Aneurysm: 2D versus 3D
Mitral valve repair is a common and preferred technique over mitral valve replacement whenever it is feasible. Transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) not only reliably identify repairable mitral valve but also guide appropriate intervention. In addition to two-dimensional (2D) TEE, the three-dimensional (3D) technique clearly delineates size and shape of mitral valve apparatus, and determine the repairability and success of repair technique. We illustrate the 2D and 3D TEE techniques that guided the surgical intervention for Alfieri repair.
Keywords2D echocardiography - 3D echocardiography - Alfieri stitch - mitral valve repair - sinus of Valsalva repair - transesophageal echocardiography
Article published online:
01 June 2022
© 2022. Official Publication of The Simulation Society (TSS), accredited by International Society of Cardiovascular Ultrasound (ISCU). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Alfieri O, Maisano F, De Bonis M. et al. The double-orifice technique in mitral valve repair: a simple solution for complex problems. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2001; 122 (04) 674-681
- 2 Pereda D, Topilsky Y, Nishimura RA, Park SJ. Asymmetric Alfieri's stitch to correct systolic anterior motion after mitral valve repair. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 39 (05) 779-781
- 3 Myers PO, Khalpey Z, Maloney AM, Brinster DR, D'Ambra MN, Cohn LH. Edge-to-edge repair for prevention and treatment of mitral valve systolic anterior motion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 146 (04) 836-840
- 4 Bader SO, Lattouf OM, Sniecinski RM. Transesophageal echocardiography of the edge-to-edge technique of mitral valve repair. Anesth Analg 2007; 105 (05) 1231-1232
- 5 Maisano F, Redaelli A, Pennati G, Fumero R, Torracca L, Alfieri O. The hemodynamic effects of double-orifice valve repair for mitral regurgitation: a 3D computational model. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1999; 15 (04) 419-425