Subscribe to RSS
Endoscopic or Microscopic Tympanoplasty Advantages and Disadvantages: A Theory Domain Systematic ReviewFunding The author(s) received no financial support for the research.
Introduction Tympanoplasty is a reparative surgery that has multiple indications. The aid of a microscope or an endoscope is necessary to carry out the procedure. The classic method utilizes the microscope; however, in the recent decades, the endoscope has been popular. Although many articles try to compare these two techniques, there is still no robust evidence that confirms the superiority of either technique. In the present work, we seek to perform a systematic review contribute with this.
Objectives The present systematic review attempted to compare endoscopic and microscopic surgery techniques and to discover whether there would be superiority in the results of any of them, based on data currently available in the literature.
Data Synthesis The objectives of the present review were organized according to the PICO planning and strategy adapted for systematic reviews. The inclusion and exclusion criteria were established aiming to select only select primary data. The main medical databases were searched using an optimized search string with appropriate descriptors. The searched databases were MEDLINE, LILACS, SciELO, and EMBASE. A total of 99 studies were selected and 38 were fully assessed after the inclusion criteria were applied. All included articles were reviewed by all authors and their results were discussed and summarized.
Conclusion The endoscopic technique was shown to be a safer technique comparable in effectiveness to the use of microscopy. In addition, it provides possible advantages such as shortening the surgical time and better postoperative pain outcomes.
Keywordstympanoplasty - endoscopes - microsurgery - otologic surgical procedure - natural orifice endoscopic surgery
Received: 16 February 2022
Accepted: 21 March 2022
Article published online:
13 July 2022
© 2022. Fundação Otorrinolaringologia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commecial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda.
Rua do Matoso 170, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 20270-135, Brazil
- 1 Thomassin JM, Korchia D, Doris JM. Endoscopic-guided otosurgery in the prevention of residual cholesteatomas. Laryngoscope 1993; 103 (08) 939-943
- 2 Tarabichi M. Endoscopic management of cholesteatoma: long-term results. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000; 122 (06) 874-881
- 3 el-Guindy A. Endoscopic transcanal myringoplasty. J Laryngol Otol 1992; 106 (06) 493-495
- 4 Karhuketo TS, Puhakka HJ. Endoscope-guided round window fistula repair. Otol Neurotol 2001; 22 (06) 869-873
- 5 Emre IE, Cingi C, Bayar Muluk N, Nogueira JF. Endoscopic ear surgery. J Otol 2020; 15 (01) 27-32
- 6 Ayache S, Tramier B, Strunski V. Otoendoscopy in cholesteatoma surgery of the middle ear: what benefits can be expected?. Otol Neurotol 2008; 29 (08) 1085-1090
- 7 Kozin ED, Lee DJ. Basic principles of endoscopic ear surgery. Oper Tech Otolaryngol Neck Surg 2017; 28 (01) 2-10
- 8 Kiringoda R, Cohen MS. Endoscopic tympanoplasty. Oper Tech Otolaryngol Neck Surg 2017; 28 (01) 17-22 DOI: 10.1016/j.otot.2017.01.003.
- 9 Akyigit A, Sakallıoglu O, Karlidag T. Endoscopic tympanoplasty. J Otol 2017; 12 (02) 62-67
- 10 Plinkert P, Löwenheim H. Trends and perspectives in minimally invasive surgery in otorhinolaryngology-head and neck surgery. Laryngoscope 1997; 107 (11 Pt 1): 1483-1489
- 11 Gokgoz MC, Tasli H, Helvacioglu B. Results of endoscopic transcanal tympanoplasty performed by a young surgeon in a secondary hospital. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol (Engl Ed) 2020; 86 (03) 364-369
- 12 Moher D, Shamseer L, Clarke M. et al; PRISMA-P Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement. Syst Rev 2015; 4 (01) 1 DOI: 10.1186/2046-4053-4-1.
- 13 Botti C, Fermi M, Amorosa L. et al. Cochlear function after type-1 tympanoplasty: endoscopic versus microscopic approach, a comparative study. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2020; 277 (02) 361-366 DOI: 10.1007/s00405-019-05706-z.
- 14 Choi N, Noh Y, Park W. et al. Comparison of Endoscopic Tympanoplasty to Microscopic Tympanoplasty. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol 2017; 10 (01) 44-49 DOI: 10.21053/ceo.2016.00080.
- 15 Cohen MS, Landegger LD, Kozin ED, Lee DJ. Pediatric endoscopic ear surgery in clinical practice: Lessons learned and early outcomes. Laryngoscope 2016; 126 (03) 732-738
- 16 Dündar R, Kulduk E, Soy FK. et al. Endoscopic versus microscopic approach to type 1 tympanoplasty in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2014; 78 (07) 1084-1089
- 17 Dunya G, Casazza GC, Blotter J, Park EJ, Park AH. Comparing two different techniques to repair pediatric anterior tympanic membrane perforations. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2021; 150 (April): 110903 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2021.110903.
- 18 Fina M, Yang R, Asche SE, Yueh B. Comparison of outcomes in endoscopic and microscopic tympanoplasty. Otolaryngol - Head Neck Surg (United States) 2016; 155: 107
- 19 Gulsen S, Baltacı A. Comparison of endoscopic transcanal and microscopic approach in Type 1 tympanoplasty. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2021; 87 (02) 157-163 DOI: 10.1016/j.bjorl.2019.07.005.
- 20 Gülşen S, Arıcı M. Endoscopic transcanal versus conventional microscopic tympanoplasty in treatment of anterior tympanic membrane perforations. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2019; 276 (12) 3327-3333 DOI: 10.1007/s00405-019-05646-8.
- 21 Guneri EA, Cakir Cetin A. Ossicular chain reconstruction: endoscopic or microscopic?. J Laryngol Otol 2020; 134 (12) 1108-1114
- 22 Hargunani CA, King E, Milczuk HA, MacArthur CJ. Endoscopic ear surgery in children with down syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2020; 131 (January): 109884 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2020.109884.
- 23 Hsu YC, Kuo CL, Huang TC. A retrospective comparative study of endoscopic and microscopic Tympanoplasty. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2018; 47 (01) 44
- 24 Huang TY, Ho KY, Wang LF, Chien CY, Wang HM. A comparative study of endoscopic and microscopic approach type 1 tympanoplasty for simple chronic otitis media. J Int Adv Otol 2016; 12 (01) 28-31
- 25 Karataş M, Doğan S. Endoscopic inlay butterfly cartilage tympanoplasty in pediatric patients. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2019; 121 (February): 10-14
- 26 Kim DJ, Lee HM, Choi SW, Oh SJ, Kong SK, Lee IW. Comparative study of endoscopic and microscopic tympanoplasty performed by a single experienced surgeon. Am J Otolaryngol - Head Neck Med Surg 2021; 42 (01) 102788 DOI: 10.1016/j.amjoto.2020.102788.
- 27 Kuo C-H, Wu H-M. Comparison of endoscopic and microscopic tympanoplasty. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2017; 274 (07) 2727-2732
- 28 Lee S, Cho HH. Transcanal endoscopic tympanoplasty for pediatric patients under 15 years of age with chronic otitis media. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol 2020; 13 (01) 41-46
- 29 Li B, Asche S, Yang R, Yueh B, Fina M. Outcomes of Adopting Endoscopic Tympanoplasty in an Academic Teaching Hospital. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2019; 128 (06) 548-555
- 30 Li KH, Chan LP, Chen CK. et al. Comparative Study of Endoscopic and Microscopic Type I Tympanoplasty in Terms of Delayed Facial Palsy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2021; 164 (03) 645-651
- 31 Min J, Kim SH. Comparison of transcanal endoscopic tympanoplasty with sterile acellular dermal allograft to conventional endaural microscopic tympanoplasty with tragal perichondrium. Am J Otolaryngol 2018; 39 (02) 167-170 DOI: 10.1016/j.amjoto.2017.11.014.
- 32 Ohki M, Kikuchi S, Tanaka S. Endoscopic Type 1 Tympanoplasty in Chronic Otitis Media: Comparative Study with a Postauricular Microscopic Approach. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 161 (02) 315-323
- 33 Sanji R, Channegowda C, Patil S. Retrospective evaluation of the surgical result of tympanoplasty for inactive chronic otitis media and comparison of endoscopic versus microscopic tympanoplasty. Indian J Otol. 2016; 22 (03) 171-176
- 34 Shakya D, Kc A, Nepal A. A Comparative Study of Endoscopic versus Microscopic Cartilage Type I Tympanoplasty. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2020; 24 (01) e80-e85
- 35 Shakya D, KC A, Tamang N, Nepal A. Endoscopic versus microscopic type-I cartilage tympanoplasty for anterior perforation - a comparative study. Acta Otolaryngol 2021; 141 (02) 135-140 DOI: 10.1080/00016489.2020.1834616.
- 36 Zhang Y, Wang W, Xu K, Hu M, Ma Y, Lin P. Comparison of clinical outcome between endoscopic and postauricular incision microscopic type-1 tympanoplasty. Acta Otolaryngol 2021; 141 (01) 29-33 DOI: 10.1080/00016489.2020.1821091.
- 37 Tseng CC, Lai MT, Wu CC, Yuan SP, Ding YF. Cost-effectiveness analysis of endoscopic tympanoplasty versus microscopic tympanoplasty for chronic otitis media in Taiwan. J Chin Med Assoc 2018; 81 (03) 284-290 DOI: 10.1016/j.jcma.2017.06.024.
- 38 Aoki K. Advantages of endoscopically assisted surgery for attic cholesteatoma. Diagn Ther Endosc 2001; 7 (3-4): 99-107
- 39 Dixon PR, James AL. Evaluation of Residual Disease Following Transcanal Totally Endoscopic vs Postauricular Surgery Among Children With Middle Ear and Attic Cholesteatoma. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2020; 146 (05) 408-413
- 40 Hashim ND, Lee SA, Jang SH, Moon IS. A comparison of endoscopic and microscopic inlay butterfly cartilage tympanoplasties and their educational utility. PLoS One 2020; 15 (10) e0241152 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0241152.
- 41 James AL. Endoscope or microscope-guided pediatric tympanoplasty? Comparison of grafting technique and outcome. Laryngoscope 2017; 127 (11) 2659-2664
- 42 Ji L, Zhai S. Comparison of frequency-specific hearing outcomes after endoscopic and microscopic tympanoplasty. Acta Otolaryngol 2020; 140 (12) 990-994 DOI: 10.1080/00016489.2020.1804074.
- 43 Lee SA, Kang HT, Lee YJ, Kim BG, Lee JD. Microscopic versus endoscopic inlay butterfly cartilage tympanoplasty. J Audiol Otol 2019; 23 (03) 140-144
- 44 Marchioni D, Gazzini L, De Rossi S. et al. The Management of Tympanic Membrane Perforation With Endoscopic Type I Tympanoplasty. Otol Neurotol 2020; 41 (02) 214-221
- 45 Marchioni D, Soloperto D, Rubini A. et al. Endoscopic exclusive transcanal approach to the tympanic cavity cholesteatoma in pediatric patients: our experience. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 79 (03) 316-322 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2014.12.008.
- 46 Pal R, Surana P. Comparative Study Between Microscopic and Endoscopic Tympanoplasty Type I. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 71 (Suppl. 02) 1467-1473 DOI: 10.1007/s12070-018-1555-5.
- 47 Plodpai Y. Endoscopic vs Microscopic Overlay Tympanoplasty for Correcting Large Tympanic Membrane Perforations: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2018; 159 (05) 879-886
- 48 Wu CC, Chen YH, Yang TH. et al. Endoscopic versus microscopic management of congenital ossicular chain anomalies: our experiences with 29 patients. Clin Otolaryngol 2017; 42 (04) 944-950
- 49 Zhang J, Hu S. Comparison of endoscopic tympanoplasty to microscopic tympanoplasty in anterior tympanic membrane perforation. Laparosc Endosc Robot Surg 2020; 3 (03) 70-73 DOI: 10.1016/j.lers.2020.06.001.