Subscribe to RSS
One Year Prevalence of Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients in France: Patients' Characteristics, Time Trends, and Outcomes
Background Patients hospitalized with coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) are at high risk of deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE).
Objectives The aims were to provide time trends in the 2020 nation-wide prevalence of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in patients hospitalized with a COVID-19 diagnosis in France, and to describe in-hospital and up to 30-day postdischarge death.
Methods All patients hospitalized in France with a COVID-19 diagnosis in 2020 were selected. Crude and age-adjusted prevalence of VTE and PE was computed by 4-week intervals and for the overall study period using Poisson regression. Time trends in in-hospital and 30-day postdischarge case-fatality rates were evaluated by comparing each 4-week intervals to weeks 10 to 14 corresponding to the first part of the first lockdown using logistic regression models.
Results Among the 287,638 patients hospitalized with a COVID-19 diagnosis in 2020 in France, 14,985 (5.2%) had a concomitant VTE, with 10,453 (3.6%) having PE and 4,532 (1.6%) having DVT. In patients admitted to intensive care units, the crude prevalence of VTE and PE reached 16.1 and 11.0% respectively during the first lockdown. After adjustment, the prevalence of VTE and PE decreased during the year 2020 but a rebound was observed during the second lockdown. In-hospital case-fatality rates among hospitalized COVID-19 patients with PE globally decreased between the first and the second epidemic waves.
Conclusion Our study showed a decrease in the incidence of symptomatic VTE and PE in hospitalized COVID-19 patients, and a decreased time trend of outcomes during the second wave compared with the first one.
A.G. directed the research, wrote the manuscript, and performed the statistical analyses; C.G. contributed to statistical analyses, discussion, and reviewed the manuscript; P.T., J.E., and V.O. directed the research, contributed to discussion, and reviewed the manuscript. All the authors have read and approved the manuscript and its publication as an original research article.
Received: 12 November 2021
Accepted: 20 January 2022
Article published online:
14 March 2022
© 2022. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Al-Aly Z, Xie Y, Bowe B. High-dimensional characterization of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19. Nature 2021; 594 (7862): 259-264
- 2 Connors JM, Levy JH. Thromboinflammation and the hypercoagulability of COVID-19. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (07) 1559-1561
- 3 Lippi G, Favaloro EJ. D-dimer is associated with severity of coronavirus disease 2019: a pooled analysis. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (05) 876-878
- 4 Tang N, Li D, Wang X, Sun Z. Abnormal coagulation parameters are associated with poor prognosis in patients with novel coronavirus pneumonia. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (04) 844-847
- 5 Jiménez D, García-Sanchez A, Rali P. et al. Incidence of VTE and bleeding among hospitalized patients with coronavirus disease 2019: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Chest 2021; 159 (03) 1182-1196
- 6 Fauvel C, Weizman O, Trimaille A. et al; Critical Covid-19 France Investigators. Pulmonary embolism in COVID-19 patients: a French multicentre cohort study. Eur Heart J 2020; 41 (32) 3058-3068
- 7 Middeldorp S, Coppens M, van Haaps TF. et al. Incidence of venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients with COVID-19. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (08) 1995-2002
- 8 Nopp S, Moik F, Jilma B, Pabinger I, Ay C. Risk of venous thromboembolism in patients with COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Res Pract Thromb Haemost 2020; 4 (07) 1178-1191
- 9 Planquette B, Le Berre A, Khider L. et al. Prevalence and characteristics of pulmonary embolism in 1042 COVID-19 patients with respiratory symptoms: a nested case-control study. Thromb Res 2021; 197: 94-99
- 10 Lefrancq N, Paireau J, Hozé N. et al. Evolution of outcomes for patients hospitalised during the first 9 months of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in France: a retrospective national surveillance data analysis. Lancet Reg Health Eur 2021; 5: 100087
- 11 Tuppin P, Rudant J, Constantinou P. et al. Value of a national administrative database to guide public decisions: from the système national d'information interrégimes de l'Assurance Maladie (SNIIRAM) to the système national des données de santé (SNDS) in France. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 2017; 65 (Suppl 4): S149-–S167
- 12 Revel MP, Parkar AP, Prosch H. et al; European Society of Radiology (ESR) and the European Society of Thoracic Imaging (ESTI). COVID-19 patients and the radiology department - advice from the European Society of Radiology (ESR) and the European Society of Thoracic Imaging (ESTI). Eur Radiol 2020; 30 (09) 4903-4909
- 13 Quan H, Li B, Couris CM. et al. Updating and validating the Charlson comorbidity index and score for risk adjustment in hospital discharge abstracts using data from 6 countries. Am J Epidemiol 2011; 173 (06) 676-682
- 14 Le Gall JR, Lemeshow S, Saulnier F. A new Simplified Acute Physiology Score (SAPS II) based on a European/North American multicenter study. JAMA 1993; 270 (24) 2957-2963
- 15 Arribalzaga K, Martínez-Alfonzo I, Díaz-Aizpún C. et al; Asociación Madrileña de Hematología y Hemoterapia (AMHH). Incidence and clinical profile of venous thromboembolism in hospitalized COVID-19 patients from Madrid region. Thromb Res 2021; 203: 93-100
- 16 Cohen SL, Gianos E, Barish MA. et al; Northwell Health COVID-19 Research Consortium. Prevalence and predictors of venous thromboembolism or mortality in hospitalized COVID-19 patients. Thromb Haemost 2021; 121 (08) 1043-1053
- 17 Dalager-Pedersen M, Lund LC, Mariager T. et al. Venous thromboembolism and major bleeding in patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): a nationwide, population-based cohort study. Clin Infect Dis 2021; 73 (12) 2283-2293
- 18 Kollias A, Kyriakoulis KG, Lagou S, Kontopantelis E, Stergiou GS, Syrigos K. Venous thromboembolism in COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Vasc Med 2021; 26 (04) 415-425
- 19 Freund Y, Drogrey M, Miró Ò. et al; IMPROVING EMERGENCY CARE FHU Collaborators. Association between pulmonary embolism and COVID-19 in emergency department patients undergoing computed tomography pulmonary angiogram: the PEPCOV international retrospective study. Acad Emerg Med 2020; 27 (09) 811-820
- 20 Mouhat B, Besutti M, Bouiller K. et al. Elevated D-dimers and lack of anticoagulation predict PE in severe COVID-19 patients. Eur Respir J 2020; 56 (04) 2001811
- 21 Emmerich J. Venous thromboembolism and COVID-19 patients: an ongoing story. J Med Vasc 2021; 46 (01) 1-2
- 22 Gutierrez JA, Samsky MD, Schulteis RD. et al. Venous thromboembolism among patients hospitalized with COVID-19 at Veterans Health Administration Hospitals. Am Heart J 2021; 237: 1-4
- 23 Jevnikar M, Sanchez O, Chocron R. et al. Prevalence of pulmonary embolism in patients with COVID-19 at the time of hospital admission. Eur Respir J 2021; 58 (01) 2100116
- 24 Klok FA, Kruip MJHA, van der Meer NJM. et al. Confirmation of the high cumulative incidence of thrombotic complications in critically ill ICU patients with COVID-19: an updated analysis. Thromb Res 2020; 191: 148-150
- 25 van Twist DJL, Luu IHY, Kroon FPB, Mostard RLM, Buijs J. Pulmonary embolism in COVID-19: the actual prevalence remains unclear. Radiology 2021; 299 (02) E254
- 26 Eisenson DL, Owodunni OP, Lau BD. et al. Prevalence and consequences of empiric anticoagulation for venous thromboembolism in patients hospitalized for COVID-19: a cautionary tale. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2021; 52 (04) 1056-1060
- 27 Lawler PR, Goligher EC, Berger JS. et al; ATTACC Investigators; ACTIV-4a Investigators; REMAP-CAP Investigators. Therapeutic anticoagulation with heparin in noncritically ill patients with COVID-19. N Engl J Med 2021; 385 (09) 790-802
- 28 Mumoli N, Conte G, Cei M. et al. In-hospital fatality and venous thromboembolism during the first and second COVID-19 waves at a center opting for standard-dose thromboprophylaxis. Thromb Res 2021; 203: 82-84
- 29 Horby P, Lim WS, Emberson JR. et al; RECOVERY Collaborative Group. Dexamethasone in hospitalized patients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med 2021; 384 (08) 693-704
- 30 Prat M, Derumeaux H, Sailler L, Lapeyre-Mestre M, Moulis G. Positive predictive values of peripheral arterial and venous thrombosis codes in French hospital database. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2018; 32 (01) 108-113