Antidiabetic Activity of Extract and Compounds from an Endophytic Fungus Nigrospora oryzae
received 26 October 2016
accepted 24 November 2016
24 January 2017 (eFirst)
The fungal extract as well as the 3 biosynthetic compounds, (S)-(+)-2-cis-4-trans-abscisic acid (1), , 7'-hydroxy-abscisic acid (2) and 4-des-hydroxyl altersolanol A (3) from the endophytic fungus, Nigrospora oryzae, isolated from Combretum dolichopetalum leaf were investigated for their antidiabetic potential.
The antidiabetic activity was determined in alloxan-induced diabetic mice by monitoring their fasting blood sugar for 9 h.
The extract and the compounds (1–3) significantly (p<0.001) reduced the fasting blood sugar of the diabetic mice.
The present study has shown that the biosynthetic products of the endophytic fungus, N. oryzae, exhibited strong antidiabetic activity. It has further shown that endophytic fungi could be an alternative source of novel compounds for management of diabetes.
- 1 Sharma KV, Davis AC, Petterson M. Hypoglycemic activity of Ficus glomerata in alloxan induced diabetic rats. . Int J Res Pharm Sci 2010; 1: 45-48
- 2 Osadebe PO, Odoh EU, Uzor PF. Natural products as potential sources of antidiabetic drugs.. Br J Pharm Res 2014; 4: 2075-2095
- 3 Strobel G, Daisy B. Bioprospecting for microbial endophytes and their natural products.. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2003; 67: 491-502
- 4 Dhankhar S, Dhankhar S, Yadav JP. Investigations towards new antidiabetic drugs from fungal endophytes associated with Salvadora oleoides Decne.. Med Chem 2013; 9: 624-632
- 5 Ola ARB. Natural Products from Endophytic Fungi: Approaches for Activation Silent Biosynthetic Pathways, Structure Elucidation and Bioactivity. PhD Thesis, Heinrich-Heine Universität Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany 2014;
- 6 Uzor PF, Ebrahim E, Osadebe PO. et al. Metabolites from Combretum dolichopetalum and its associated endophytic fungus Nigrospora oryzae — Evidence for a metabolic partnership.. Fitoterapia 2015; 105: 147-150
- 7 Uzor PF, Osadebe PO, Omeje EO. et al. Bioassay guided isolation and evaluation of the antidiabetic principles of Combretum dolichopetalum root.. Br J Pharm Res 2014; 4: 2155-2171
- 8 Guri AJ, Hontecillas R, Bassaganya-Riera J. Abscisic acid synergizes with rosiglitazone to improve glucose tolerance and down-modulate macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue: possible action of the cAMP/PKA/PPA γ axis.. Clin Nutr 2010; 29: 646-653
- 9 Guri AJ, Hontecillas R, Ferrer G. et al. Loss of PPAR gamma in immune cells impairs the ability of abscisic acid to improve insulin sensitivity by suppressingmonocyte chemoattractant protein-1 expression and macrophage infiltration into white adipose tissue.. J Nutr Biochem 2008; 19: 216-228
- 10 Debbab A, Aly AH, Edrada-Ebel R. et al. Bioactive metabolites from the endophytic fungus Stemphylium globuliferum isolated from Mentha pulegium.. J Nat Prod 2009; 72: 626-631