Subscribe to RSS
Arthroscopic Resection of a Large Osteochondroma of the Femoral Neck Overlying the Neurovascular Bundle: A Case Report
Only a few case reports have described the treatment of proximal femoral osteochondromas with excision using hip arthroscopy. We present the case of a 21-year-old male who presented with hip pain caused by an osteochondroma about the right femoral neck. Imaging obtained revealed a lesion that measured 4.4 × 3.2 × 5 cm abutting the neurovascular bundle along its anterior margin. After failed conservative measures, the patient underwent successful arthroscopic resection using two portals. This is the first case report presenting an arthroscopic resection of an osteochondroma located about the femoral neck adjacent to the neurovascular bundle.
Received: 23 August 2021
Accepted: 09 November 2021
Article published online:
24 January 2022
© 2022. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Tong K, Liu H, Wang X. et al. Osteochondroma: review of 431 patients from one medical institution in South China. J Bone Oncol 2017; 8: 23-29
- 2 Makhdom AM, Jiang F, Hamdy RC, Benaroch TE, Lavigne M, Saran N. Hip joint osteochondroma: systematic review of the literature and report of three further cases. Adv Orthop 2014; 2014: 180254
- 3 Aguiar T, Dantas P. Arthroscopic resection of intra-articular osteochondromas of the hip. Arthrosc Tech 2014; 3 (03) e347-e350
- 4 Alter T, Okoroha KR, Kunze KN, Beck EC, Nho SJ. Arthroscopic femoral osteochondroplasty with capsular plication for osteochondroma of the femoral neck. Arthrosc Tech 2019; 8 (11) e1353-e1359
- 5 Feeley BT, Kelly BT. Arthroscopic management of an intraarticular osteochondroma of the hip. Orthop Rev (Pavia) 2009; 1 (01) e2
- 6 Muzaffar N, Bashir N, Baba A, Ahmad A, Ahmad N. Isolated osteochondroma of the femoral neck presenting as hip and leg pain. A case study. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil 2012; 14 (02) 183-187
- 7 Bonnomet F, Clavert P, Abidine FZ, Gicquel P, Clavert JM, Kempf JF. Hip arthroscopy in hereditary multiple exostoses: a new perspective of treatment. Arthroscopy 2001; 17 (09) E40
- 8 Aldashash F, Elraie M. Solitary osteochondroma of the proximal femur causing sciatic nerve compression. Ann Saudi Med 2017; 37 (02) 166-169
- 9 Clarke MT, Arora A, Villar RN. Hip arthroscopy: complications in 1054 cases. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2003; (406) 84-88
- 10 Robertson WJ, Kelly BT. The safe zone for hip arthroscopy: a cadaveric assessment of central, peripheral, and lateral compartment portal placement. Arthroscopy 2008; 24 (09) 1019-1026
- 11 Sampson TG. Complications of hip arthroscopy. Clin Sports Med 2001; 20 (04) 831-835
- 12 Scher DL, Belmont Jr PJ, Owens BD. Case report: osteonecrosis of the femoral head after hip arthroscopy. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010; 468 (11) 3121-3125