Subscribe to RSS
Two Clinical Cases of Metastatic Merkel Cell Carcinoma Illustrating Avelumab Tolerability in Elderly PatientsFunding None.
We present two cases of primary cutaneous Merkel cell carcinoma in a 80-year and a 95-year old patient. Both patients had a wide local excision, but early recurrences occurred. Case 1 required palliative radiotherapy. He did not receive chemotherapy but case 2 did. They then proceeded to have immunotherapy with sustained responses lasting greater than 2 and 3 years. This report highlights an important new class of drug for the treatment of advanced Merkel cell carcinoma. Furthermore, our case report demonstrates that avelumab immunotherapy can be safely delivered to elderly patients, including 80- and 95-year-old patients. This report parallels the high and durable response rates to avelumab (including complete responses) that were shown in the JAVELIN phase II trials.
Both authors were involved in concept, design, definition of intellectual content, literature search, case report, manuscript preparation, editing, and review.
Formal patient informed consent was not required at our institution as the cases were anonymous. Ethics Committee Waiver was obtained for publication.
Article published online:
30 December 2021
© 2021. Indian Society of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Schadendorf D, Lebbé C, Zur Hausen A. et al. Merkel cell carcinoma: epidemiology, prognosis, therapy and unmet medical needs. Eur J Cancer 2017; 71: 53-69
- 2 Youlden DR, Soyer HP, Youl PH, Fritschi L, Baade PD. Incidence and survival for Merkel cell carcinoma in Queensland, Australia, 1993-2010. JAMA Dermatol 2014; 150 (08) 864-872
- 3 Albores-Saavedra J, Batich K, Chable-Montero F, Sagy N, Schwartz AM, Henson DE. Merkel cell carcinoma demographics, morphology, and survival based on 3870 cases: a population based study. J Cutan Pathol 2010; 37 (01) 20-27
- 4 Santos-Juanes J, Fernández-Vega I, Fuentes N. et al. Merkel cell carcinoma and Merkel cell polyomavirus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Dermatol 2015; 173 (01) 42-49
- 5 Kaufman HL, Russell J, Hamid O. et al. Avelumab in patients with chemotherapy-refractory metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma: a multicentre, single-group, open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol 2016; 17 (10) 1374-1385
- 6 Cowey CL, Mahnke L, Espirito J, Helwig C, Oksen D, Bharmal M. Real-world treatment outcomes in patients with metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma treated with chemotherapy in the USA. Future Oncol 2017; 13 (19) 1699-1710
- 7 Voog E, Biron P, Martin J-P, Blay J-Y. Chemotherapy for patients with locally advanced or metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma. Cancer 1999; 85 (12) 2589-2595
- 8 D'Angelo SP, Russell J, Lebbé C. et al. Efficacy and safety of first-line avelumab treatment in patients with stage IV metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma: a preplanned interim analysis of a clinical trial. JAMA Oncol 2018; 4 (09) e180077 DOI: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.0077.
- 9 D'Angelo SP, Bhatia S, Brohl AS. et al. Avelumab in patients with previously treated metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma: long-term data and biomarker analyses from the single-arm phase 2 JAVELIN Merkel 200 trial. J Immunother Cancer 2020; 8 (01) e000674 DOI: 10.1136/jitc-2020-000674.
- 10 O'Brien T, Power DG. Metastatic Merkel-cell carcinoma: the dawn of a new era. BMJ Case Rep 2018; 2018: bcr-2018-224924
- 11 Kaufman HL, Russell JS, Hamid O. et al. Updated efficacy of avelumab in patients with previously treated metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma after ≥1 year of follow-up: JAVELIN Merkel 200, a phase 2 clinical trial. J Immunother Cancer 2018; 6 (01) 7 DOI: 10.1186/s40425-017-0310-x.
- 12 Nghiem P, Bhatia S, Lipson EJ. et al. Durable tumor regression and overall survival in patients with advanced Merkel cell carcinoma receiving pembrolizumab as first-line therapy. J Clin Oncol 2019; 37 (09) 693-702
- 13 Novakovic AM, Wilkins JJ, Dai H. et al. Changing body weight-based dosing to a flat dose for avelumab in metastatic Merkel cell and advanced urothelial carcinoma. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2020; 107 (03) 588-596
- 14 Kok DL, Wang A, Xu W. et al. The changing paradigm of managing Merkel cell carcinoma in Australia: an expert commentary. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol 2020; 16 (06) 312-319