Subscribe to RSS
Individualised Homeopathic Treatment of Nausea and Vomiting in the First Trimester and of COVID-19 in the Third Trimester of Pregnancy—A Case Report
Introduction/Background Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy are common physiological disturbances, causing physical, social and psychological symptoms in the affected women. Though it is difficult to draw absolute conclusions on whether or not pregnant women are at high risk of acquiring severe consequences from corona-virus disease 2019 (COVID-19), clinical experience has shown them to be potentially vulnerable to other coronaviruses. Lack of specific conventional therapy for these conditions called for a complementary and individualised homeopathy approach in the presented case.
Methods The homeopathic medical management of early symptoms of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy (NVP) and the beginning of COVID-19 symptoms shortly before a scheduled Caesarean section is described. No ongoing specific treatments were discontinued. The connection between intervention with individualised homeopathy and clinical improvement was assessed by two independent reviewers using the MOdified NARanjo Criteria for Homeopathy (MONARCH) inventory.
Results There was improvement of NVP symptoms in early pregnancy and in later-onset COVID-19 symptoms following an individually prescribed unipotent homeopathic medicine, Sepia officinalis, after tele-consultation during lockdown. The agreed MONARCH score was +8 points, suggesting that homeopathy contributed to clinical improvement.
Conclusion Individualised homeopathy may be a helpful complementary medical approach for managing symptoms associated with NVP and COVID-19 during pregnancy.
Keywordshomeopathy - pregnancy - nausea and vomiting - morning sickness - COVID-19 - individualised homeopathy - tele-consultation
The patient's signed and anonymised informed consent form is kept confidential by the journal and the author.
Availability of Data
Upon request, anonymised patient data may be obtained from the author.
Received: 16 February 2021
Accepted: 13 October 2021
Article published online:
25 February 2022
© 2022. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Bustos M, Venkataramanan R, Caritis S. Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy – What's new?. Auton Neurosci 2017; 202: 62-72
- 2 Brown T. New Guidelines on Nausea, Vomiting in Pregnancy. Medscape. Available at: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/890504#vp_1. Published December 22, 2017. Accessed February 8, 2021
- 3 Wastnedge EAN, Reynolds RM, van Boeckel SR. et al. Pregnancy and COVID-19. Physiol Rev 2021; 101: 303-318
- 4 Poon LC, Yang H, Kapur A. et al. Global interim guidance on coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) during pregnancy and puerperium from FIGO and allied partners: Information for healthcare professionals. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2020; 149: 273-286
- 5 Mathie RT, Lloyd SM, Legg LA. et al. Randomised placebo-controlled trials of individualised homeopathic treatment: systematic review and meta-analysis. Syst Rev 2014; 3: 142
- 6 Kalampokas T, Botis S, Kedikgianni-Antoniou A. et al. Homeopathy for infertility treatment: a case series. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 2014; 41: 158-159
- 7 Frass M, Lechleitner P, Gründling C. et al. Homeopathic treatment as an add-on therapy may improve quality of life and prolong survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, three-arm, multicenter study. Oncologist 2020; 25: e1930-e1955
- 8 Danno K, Colas A, Masson JL, Bordet MF. Homeopathic treatment of migraine in children: results of a prospective, multicenter, observational study. J Altern Complement Med 2013; 19: 119-123
- 9 Kent JT. Lectures on Homoeopathic Materia Medica. Philadelphia, PA: Boericke & Tafel; 1905
- 10 Remedia Homöopathie. Manufacturing Process of LM-Potenzen. Accessed July 23, 2021 at: https://www.remedia-homeopathy.com/homeopathy/production/lm-potencies/
- 11 van Haselen RA. Homeopathic clinical case reports: development of a supplement (HOM-CASE) to the CARE clinical case reporting guideline. Complement Ther Med 2016; 25: 78-85
- 12 O'Brien B, Naber S. Nausea and vomiting during pregnancy: effects on the quality of women's lives. Birth 1992; 19: 138-143
- 13 Franki R. Pandemic packed a year of distress into 1 month. Available at: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/943675. Published 2021. Accessed January 7, 2021
- 14 Swift D, Barclay L, Nyarko E. COVID-19: high risk for severe COVID in pregnancy confirmed?. Medscape. Available at: https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/935069. Published 2020. Accessed January 21, 2021
- 15 Vithoulkas G. Levels of Health: The Science of Homeopathy, Vol 2. 3rd rev. ed.. Sporades, Greece: International Academy of Classical Homeopathy; 2019
- 16 Lamba CD, Gupta VK, van Haselen R. et al. Evaluation of the modified Naranjo criteria for assessing causal attribution of clinical outcome to homeopathic intervention as presented in case reports. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 191-197
- 17 Mahesh S, Glas KL. Migraine—case treated with classical Hahnemannian homeopathy 2. In: Zaletel M. ed. Headache 2019: Collection of Scientific Papers of International Experts and a Textbook for Doctors, Health Professionals and Students of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences. Ljubljana: Society for the Prevention of Cerebral and Vascular Diseases; 2019: 236-238
- 18 Tenzera L, Djindjic B, Mihajlovic-Elez O, Pulparampil BJ, Mahesh S, Vithoulkas G. Improvements in long standing cardiac pathologies by individualized homeopathic remedies: a case series. SAGE Open Med Case Rep 2018; 6: X18792813
- 19 Mahesh S, Mallappa M, Vithoulkas G. Embryonal carcinoma with immature teratoma: a homeopathic case report. Complement Med Res 2018; 25: 117-121
- 20 Mahesh S, Denisova T, Gerasimova L, Pakhmutova N, Mallappa M, Vithoulkas G. Multimorbidity after surgical menopause treated with individualized classical homeopathy: a case report. Clin Med Insights Case Rep 2020; 13: 1179547620965560
- 21 Denisova TG, Gerasimova LI, Pakhmutova NL, Mahesh S, Vithoulkas G. Individualized homeopathic therapy in a case of obesity, dysfunctional uterine bleeding, and autonomic dystonia. Am J Case Rep 2018; 19: 1474-1479
- 22 Vithoulkas G, Carlino S. The “continuum” of a unified theory of diseases. Med Sci Monit 2010; 16: SR7-SR15
- 23 Kent JT. Lectures on Homoeopathic Philosophy. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2003