Subscribe to RSS
A Case Report of Idiopathic OAT Syndrome, Associated with Necrospermia and Hypospermia, Reversed with Individualized Homeopathy
Background Oligo-astheno-teratozoospermia (OAT) syndrome is one of the causes of male infertility, characterized by a decreased number of sperms (oligospermia), poor sperm motility (asthenospermia), and abnormal sperm shape (teratospermia). In necrospermia, spermatozoa in the ejaculated semen are dead, and in hypospermia, semen volume is less than 2 mL. The present case may be unique because of the association of all these features together in a single patient.
Method This idiopathic case was treated, from November 2016 to April 2017 in the National Homeopathy Research Institute in Mental Health, with the homeopathic medicine Natrium muriaticum. The Modified Naranjo Criteria for Homeopathy (MONARCH) score was used to assess the likelihood of causal attribution of the clinical outcome to the homeopathic medicine.
Result By the third month of starting homeopathic treatment, there was a marked improvement in sperm count from 14.4 to 77.4 million, semen volume from 0.8 to 2.2 mL, and normal forms from 14 to 75%. His wife became pregnant by the 5th month and delivered a healthy baby girl at full term. A MONARCH score of +9/13 indicates a positive causal relationship between the medicine prescribed and the treatment outcome.
Conclusion The present case report suggests a positive effect of individualized homeopathic medicine in treating a rare presentation of male infertility due to OAT syndrome.
Received: 19 March 2021
Accepted: 07 September 2021
Article published online:
07 February 2022
© 2022. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 de Kretser DM. Male infertility. Lancet 1997; 349: 787-790
- 2 Wei T-C, Huang WJ, Lin ATL, Chen K-K. The role of hormones on semen parameters in patients with idiopathic or varicocele-related oligoasthenoteratozoospermia (OAT) syndrome. J Chin Med Assoc 2013; 76: 624-628
- 3 Hamamah S. Male Sterility And Motility Disorders. New York: Springer; 1999: 65-78
- 4 Robin G, Marcelli F, Mitchell V. et al. Why and how to assess hypospermia?. Gynécol Obstét Fertil 2008; 36: 1035-1042
- 5 Cavallini G. Male idiopathic oligoasthenoteratozoospermia. Asian J Androl 2006; 8: 143-157
- 6 Tüttelmann F, Werny F, Cooper TG, Kliesch S, Simoni M, Nieschlag E. Clinical experience with azoospermia: aetiology and chances for spermatozoa detection upon biopsy. Int J Androl 2011; 34: 291-298
- 7 Hirsh A. Male subfertility. BMJ 2003; 327: 669-672
- 8 Shin DH, Turek PJ. Sperm retrieval techniques. Nat Rev Urol 2013; 10: 723-730
- 9 Cousineau TM, Domar AD. Psychological impact of infertility. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2007; 21: 293-308
- 10 Caseiro AL, Regalo A, Pereira E, Esteves T, Fernandes F, Carvalho J. Implication of sperm chromosomal abnormalities in recurrent abortion and multiple implantation failure. Reprod Biomed Online 2015; 31: 481-485
- 11 van Haselen RA. Homeopathic clinical case reports: development of a supplement (HOM-CASE) to the CARE clinical case reporting guideline. Complement Ther Med 2016; 25: 78-85
- 12 Lamba CD, Gupta VK, van Haselen R. et al. Evaluation of the Modified Naranjo Criteria for assessing causal attribution of clinical outcome to homeopathic intervention as presented in case reports. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 191-197
- 13 Nordhoff V, Fricke RK, Schüring AN, Zitzmann M, Kliesch S. Treatment strategies for severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia (OAT) (<0.1 million/mL) patients. Andrology 2015; 3: 856-863
- 14 Palawan H, Thakafi SA, Coskun S, Hathal NA. Successful reversal of necrozoospermia with course of antibiotic. S Ind J Biol Sci 2016; 2: 302
- 15 Vandekerckhove P, Lilford R, Vail A, Hughes E. Clomiphene or tamoxifen for idiopathic oligo/asthenospermia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; CD000151
- 16 Gerhard I, Wallis E. Individualized homeopathic therapy for male infertility. Homeopathy 2002; 91: 133-144
- 17 Udachankar SM, Prasad Daddikar D, Patil AS, Gizare DV, Daddikar P. Role of Homoeopathy in unexplained infertility. Int J Res Analysis Rev 2018; 5: 7-17
- 18 Raval HC, Goyal RK. Effects of Multiple Homeopathic Drug Therapy on Oligospermia in Human Subjects: Abstract poster, International Seminar of Traditional Medicine, Calcutta. 1992. :7.05
- 19 Kasana A. Homeopathy and its scope in increasing sperm count and its action on male fertility. Int J Complement Altern Med 2017; 6: 00209
- 20 Close SM. Homoeopathic Posology. Genius of Homeopathy: Lectures & Essays on Homoeopathic Philosophy with Word Index. 2nd ed.. New Delhi: B. Jain; 2004: 192
- 21 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 6th ed.. New Delhi: B. Jain; 2004: 122-123
- 22 Kent JT. Lectures on Homoeopathic Philosophy. 5th ed.. New Delhi: B Jain; 1997: 224-242
- 23 Mandal PP, Mandal B. A Textbook of Homoeopathic Pharmacy. 3rd ed.. New Central Book Agency; 2012: 397-406