Subscribe to RSS
The First Case of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children Successfully Treated with Combined Therapies Including Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation and PlasmapheresisFunding None.
Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) is a severe disease that can lead to death. There is no definitive treatment for MIS-C yet. It has been reported that intravenous immunoglobulin, intravenous methylprednisolone, fluid supplements, antibiotics, inotropics, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), plasmapheresis, biological therapy, and anticoagulation therapy can be used for treatment. In this article, we presented an 8-year-old girl child patient who survived due to timely administered ECMO and combined therapies including plasmapheresis without any sequela despite her life-threatening condition due to MIS-C.
KeywordsMultisystem inflammatory syndrome in children - pediatric intensive care - ECMO - anakinra - plasmapheresis
• Literature search: C.K., A.B.A., D.L., and E.P.K.
• Study design: C.K., A.B.A., F.D., and A.O.D.
• Manuscript preparation: C.K. and A.B.A.
• Review of manuscript: C.K. and A.B.A.
• Contribute to management: O.I., M.A., I.M., A.R.B., B.K.D., and E.O.
Received: 23 April 2021
Accepted: 24 August 2021
Article published online:
26 November 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 World Health organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. Accessed March 7, 2021 at: https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/health-emergencies/coronavirus-covid-19/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov
- 2 Parri N, Lenge M, Buonsenso D. Coronavirus Infection in Pediatric Emergency Departments (CONFIDENCE) Research Group. Children with Covid-19 in pediatric emergency departments in Italy. N Engl J Med 2020; 383 (02) 187-190
- 3 Rasmussen SA, Thompson LA. Coronavirus disease 2019 and children: what pediatric health care clinicians need to know. JAMA Pediatr 2020; 174 (08) 743-744
- 4 Government of Canada. COVID-19 daily epidemiology update. Accessed March 7, 2021 at: https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html
- 5 European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. COVID-19. Accessed March 7, 2021 at: https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/COVID-19.html
- 6 Epidemiology Working Group for NCIP Epidemic Response, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.. The epidemiological characteristics of an outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus diseases (COVID-19) in China [in Chinese]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 2020; 41 (02) 145-151
- 7 Riphagen S, Gomez X, Gonzalez-Martinez C, Wilkinson N, Theocharis P. Hyperinflammatory shock in children during COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet 2020; 395 (10237): 1607-1608
- 8 Verdoni L, Mazza A, Gervasoni A. et al. An outbreak of severe Kawasaki-like disease at the Italian epicentre of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic: an observational cohort study. Lancet 2020; 395 (10239): 1771-1778
- 9 Belhadjer Z, Méot M, Bajolle F. et al. Acute heart failure in multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) in the context of global SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. Circulation 2020; 142 (05) 429-436
- 10 Whittaker E, Bamford A, Kenny J. et al; PIMS-TS Study Group and EUCLIDS and PERFORM Consortia. Clinical characteristics of 58 children with a pediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome temporally associated with SARS-CoV-2. JAMA 2020; 324 (03) 259-269
- 11 Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. Guidance: paediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome temporally associated with COVID-19. Accessed March 12, 2021 at: https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2020-05/COVID-19-Paediatric-multisystem-%20inflammatory%20syndrome-20200501.pdf
- 12 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) Associated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Accessed March 12, 2021 at: https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2020/han00432.asp
- 13 World Health Organization. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children and adolescents with COVID-19. Accessed March 12, 2021 at: https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/multisystem-inflammatory-syndrome-in-children-and-adolescents-with-covid-19
- 14 Henderson LA, Canna SW, Friedman KG. et al. American College of Rheumatology Clinical Guidance for multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children associated with SARS-CoV-2 and hyperinflammation in pediatric COVID-19: version 1. Arthritis Rheumatol 2020; 72 (11) 1791-1805
- 15 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Information for healthcare providers about multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C). Accessed March 13, 2021 at: https://www.cdc.gov/mis-c/hcp/
- 16 Harwood R, Allin B, Jones CE. et al; PIMS-TS National Consensus Management Study Group. A national consensus management pathway for paediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome temporally associated with COVID-19 (PIMS-TS): results of a national Delphi process. Lancet Child Adolesc Health 2021; 5 (02) 133-141
- 17 Elias MD, McCrindle BW, Larios G. et al; of the International Kawasaki Disease Registry. Management of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children associated with COVID-19: a survey from the International Kawasaki Disease Registry. CJC Open 2020; 2 (06) 632-640
- 18 Hennon TR, Penque MD, Abdul-Aziz R. et al. COVID-19 associated multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) guidelines; a Western New York approach. Prog Pediatr Cardiol 2020; (e-pub ahead of print). DOI: 10.1016/j.ppedcard.2020.101232.
- 19 Mehra B, Aggarwal V, Kumar P. et al. COVID-19-associated severe multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children with encephalopathy and neuropathy in an adolescent girl with the successful outcome: an unusual presentation. Indian J Crit Care Med 2020; 24 (12) 1276-1278
- 20 Jiang L, Tang K, Levin M. et al. COVID-19 and multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children and adolescents. Lancet Infect Dis 2020; 20 (11) e276-e288
- 21 Miller J, Cantor A, Zachariah P, Ahn D, Martinez M, Margolis KG. Gastrointestinal symptoms as a major presentation component of a novel multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children that is related to coronavirus disease 2019: a single center experience of 44 cases. Gastroenterology 2020; 159 (04) 1571-1574.e2
- 22 Kaushik A, Gupta S, Sood M, Sharma S, Verma S. A systematic review of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2020; 39 (11) e340-e346
- 23 Jackson RJ, Chavarria HD, Hacking SM. A case of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children mimicking acute appendicitis in a COVID-19 pandemic area. Cureus 2020; 12 (09) e10722
- 24 Kohn-Loncarica G, Fustiñana A, Díaz-Rubio F. et al. Recommendations for the initial management of multisystem inflammatory syndrome temporally related to COVID-19, in children and adolescents. Arch Argent Pediatr 2020; 118 (06) e514-e526
- 25 Wang M, Cao R, Zhang L. et al. Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro. Cell Res 2020; 30 (03) 269-271
- 26 Kabeerdoss J, Pilania RK, Karkhele R, Kumar TS, Danda D, Singh S. Severe COVID-19, multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, and Kawasaki disease: immunological mechanisms, clinical manifestations and management. Rheumatol Int 2021; 41 (01) 19-32
- 27 Sperotto F, Friedman KG, Son MBF, VanderPluym CJ, Newburger JW, Dionne A. Cardiac manifestations in SARS-CoV-2-associated multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children: a comprehensive review and proposed clinical approach. Eur J Pediatr 2021; 180 (02) 307-322
- 28 Nakra NA, Blumberg DA, Herrera-Guerra A, Lakshminrusimha S. Multi-system inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) following SARS-CoV-2 infection: review of clinical presentation, hypothetical pathogenesis, and proposed management. Children (Basel) 2020; 7 (07) 69
- 29 Feldstein LR, Rose EB, Horwitz SM. et al; Overcoming COVID-19 Investigators, CDC COVID-19 Response Team. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in U.S. children and adolescents. N Engl J Med 2020; 383 (04) 334-346
- 30 Grimaud M, Starck J, Levy M. et al. Acute myocarditis and multisystem inflammatory emerging disease following SARS-CoV-2 infection in critically ill children. Ann Intensive Care 2020; 10 (01) 69
- 31 Schwartz SP, Walker TC, Kihlstrom M. et al. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for COVID-19-associated multisystem inflammatory syndrome in a 5-year-old. Am Surg 2020; (e-pub ahead of print). DOI: 10.1177/0003134820983198.
- 32 Kaushik S, Ahluwalia N, Gangadharan S. et al. ECMO support in SARS-CoV2 multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children in a child. Perfusion 2020; 36 (05) 524-528
- 33 Dufort EM, Koumans EH, Chow EJ. et al; New York State and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children Investigation Team. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children in New York State. N Engl J Med 2020; 383 (04) 347-358
- 34 Kohli U, Lodha R. Cardiac involvement in children with COVID-19. Indian Pediatr 2020; 57 (10) 936-939