Subscribe to RSS
Chondrosarcoma of the Nasal Septum—A Rare Subsite: Case Report with Review of LiteratureFinancial Support Nil.
Chondrosarcomas are the second most common primary malignant bone tumors. Head and neck chondrosarcomas constitute less than 10% of these tumors, rarely arising from the nasal septum. These are locally aggressive malignant tumors arising from the cartilaginous framework of the nasal septum. Rarity of the tumor coupled with nonspecific symptoms makes it a diagnostic dilemma. Diagnosis requires endoscopy, radiology, and final histopathology for confirmation. Treatment is mainly surgical, requiring complete surgical excision with clear margins. Radiation has a role in unresectable tumors or for tumors with positive margins after surgery. Survival depends on the grade of tumor that predicts the metastatic potential of the tumor. We present a rare case of chondrosarcoma arising from the nasal septum in a 29-year-old young female presenting with complaints of nasal obstruction. Computed tomography was suggestive of a calcified cartilaginous tumor arising from the nasal septum. Endoscopic excision was done and postoperative histopathology showed grade II chondrosarcoma with clear margins. No adjuvant treatment was given to our patient and 2 years post-excision patient is disease free.
To conclude, chondrosarcoma of the nasal septum is a rare tumor, with nonspecific symptoms. Surgery with clear margins remains the treatment of choice. Prognosis depends on the extent of tumor at presentation, resection margins, and grade of tumor.
Declaration of Patient Consent
Witten informed consent was taken from the patient.
Article published online:
24 December 2021
© 2021. Indian Society of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Stavrakas M, Nixon I, Andi K. et al. Head and neck sarcomas: clinical and histopathological presentation, treatment modalities, and outcomes. J Laryngol Otol 2016; 130 (09) 850-859
- 2 Magnano M, Boffano P, Machetta G, Garibaldi E, Delmastro E, Gabriele P. Chondrosarcoma of the nasal septum. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 272 (03) 765-772
- 3 Khan MN, Husain Q, Kanumuri VV. et al. Management of sinonasal chondrosarcoma: a systematic review of 161 patients. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2013; 3 (08) 670-677
- 4 Belgioia L, Vaccara EM, Bacigalupo A, Corvò R. Management of nasal septum chondrosarcoma occurring in elderly: a case report. Cureus 2017; 9 (07) e1497
- 5 Bahgat M, Bahgat Y, Bahgat A, Elwany Y. Chondrosarcoma of the nasal septum. BMJ Case Rep 2012; 2012: bcr2012006266
- 6 Bulut F, Kizilay A, Aydin NE. Chondrosarcoma of the nasal septum: a case report. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 2004; 12 (1-2): 39-41
- 7 Downey TJ, Clark SK, Moore DW. Chondrosarcoma of the nasal septum. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2001; 125 (01) 98-100
- 8 Rassekh CH, Nuss DW, Kapadia SB, Curtin HD, Weissman JL, Janecka IP. Chondrosarcoma of the nasal septum: skull base imaging and clinicopathologic correlation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1996; 115 (01) 29-37
- 9 Feldman F, Van Heertum R, Saxena C, Parisien M. 18FDG-PET applications for cartilage neoplasms. Skeletal Radiol 2005; 34 (07) 367-374
- 10 Rieken S, Habermehl D, Nikoghosyan A. et al. Assessment of early toxicity and response in patients treated with proton and carbon ion therapy at the Heidelberg ion therapy center using the raster scanning technique. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 81 (05) e793-e801
- 11 Kamal AF, Husodo K, Prabowo Y, Hutagalung EU. Correlation between survival and tumour characteristics in patients with chondrosarcoma. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2015; 23 (03) 365-369
- 12 Coca-Pelaz A, Rodrigo JP, Triantafyllou A. et al. Chondrosarcomas of the head and neck. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2014; 271 (10) 2601-2609
- 13 Kaufman JK, Pritz MB, Righi PD, Bizal JC. Craniofacial resection of a nasoseptal chondrosarcoma: case report and review of the literature. Surg Neurol 1999; 52 (03) 265-268 , discussion 268–269