Grinder Injury of the Hand: A Rare but Devastating Occupational HazardFunding There were no sources of funding for this work. There are no financial disclosures.
Food handlers and workers are exposed to several occupational hazards not frequented by the general population. Grinder injuries of the hand present a devastating consequence of industrial food processing that is infrequently described. Herein, we describe two cases that presented to our department with meat grinder injuries of the hand.
Eingereicht: 28. April 2021
Angenommen: 29. Juli 2021
22. Oktober 2021 (online)
© 2021. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Ministry of Food Processing Industries GoI. . Annual Report 2019. Accessed Aug 11, 2021 from: https://mofpi.nic.in/documents/reports/annual-report
- 2 Salminger S, Roche AD, Sturma A, Mayer JA, Aszmann OC. Hand transplantation versus hand prosthetics: pros and cons. Curr Surg Rep 2016; 4 (02) 8
- 3 Neumeister MW, Brown RE. Mutilating hand injuries: principles and management. Hand Clin 2003; 19 (01) 1-15 , v
- 4 Tomoda S. Occupational Safety and Health in the Food and Drink Industries. Geneva, Switzerland: International Labour Organization; 1993
- 5 Brandner M, Bunkis J, Trengove-Jones G. Meat grinder injuries to the upper extremity. Ann Plast Surg 1985; 14 (05) 454-457
- 6 Yildiran G, Selimoglu MN, Akdag O, Karamese M, Tosun Z. A periodical increase in hand injuries: the sacrifice feast. Hand Microsurg 2015; 4 (02) 28-31
- 7 Green DP, Terry GC, Whittemore AK. Extrication of the hand from a meat grinder. J Trauma 1975; 15 (01) 32-35
- 8 Kassa B. Meat grinder hand injuries: serial cases. MOJ Clin Med Case Rep. 2017; 6 (06) 135-137
- 9 Lubis NR. Meat grinder injury to the hand: serial cases. Ind J Orthop 2012; 40 (03) 90615
- 10 OSHA fact sheet: Preventing Cuts and Amputations from Food Slicers and Meat Grinders 2015. . Accessed Aug 11, 2021 from: https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3794.pdf