Subscribe to RSS
Enterocutaneous Fistula and Pneumoretroperitoneum due to Ruptured Psoas AbscessFunding None.
Psoas abscess is a rare condition that can present with vague clinical features. Its insidious onset can lead to a delay in diagnosis, resulting in high rates of complications and mortality. Here we describe a unique case of a patient presenting with enterocutaneous fistula and pneumoretroperitoneum due to ruptured psoas abscess.
This case has not been published/presented before. Informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of case details.
Received: 03 September 2020
Accepted: 28 July 2021
22 October 2021 (online)
© 2021. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Bartolo DC, Ebbs SR, Cooper MJ. Psoas abscess in Bristol: a 10-year review. Int J Colorectal Dis 1987; 2 (02) 72-76
- 2 Lai YC, Lin PC, Wang WS, Lai JI. An update on psoas muscle abscess: an 8-year experience and review of literature. Int J Gerontol 2011; 5 (02) 75-79
- 3 Gruenwald I, Abrahamson J, Cohen O. Psoas abscess: case report and review of the literature. J Urol 1992; 147 (06) 1624-1626
- 4 Chern CH, Hu SC, Kao WF, Tsai J, Yen D, Lee CH. Psoas abscess: making an early diagnosis in the ED. Am J Emerg Med 1997; 15 (01) 83-88
- 5 Santaella RO, Fishman EK, Lipsett PA. Primary vs secondary iliopsoas abscess. Presentation, microbiology, and treatment. Arch Surg 1995; 130 (12) 1309-1313
- 6 Ricci MA, Rose FB, Meyer KK. Pyogenic psoas abscess: worldwide variations in etiology. World J Surg 1986; 10 (05) 834-843
- 7 Funayama Y, Sasaki I, Naito H. et al. Psoas abscess complicating Crohn's disease: report of two cases. Surg Today 1996; 26 (05) 345-348
- 8 Zissin R, Gayer G, Kots E, Werner M, Shapiro-Feinberg M, Hertz M. Iliopsoas abscess: a report of 24 patients diagnosed by CT. Abdom Imaging 2001; 26 (05) 533-539
- 9 Negus S, Sidhu PS. MRI of retroperitoneal collections: a comparison with CT. Br J Radiol 2000; 73 (872) 907-912
- 10 Paley M, Sidhu PS, Evans RA, Karani JB. Retroperitoneal collections—aetiology and radiological implications. Clin Radiol 1997; 52 (04) 290-294
- 11 Gribovskaja-Rupp I, Melton GB. Enterocutaneous fistula: proven strategies and updates. Clin Colon Rectal Surg 2016; 29 (02) 130-137
- 12 Runström B, Hallböök O, Nyström PO, Sjödahl R, Olaison G. Outcome of 132 consecutive reconstructive operations for intestinal fistula-staged operation without primary anastomosis improved outcome in retrospective analysis. Scand J Surg 2013; 102 (03) 152-157
- 13 Lynch AC, Delaney CP, Senagore AJ, Connor JT, Remzi FH, Fazio VW. Clinical outcome and factors predictive of recurrence after enterocutaneous fistula surgery. Ann Surg 2004; 240 (05) 825-831