Subscribe to RSS
Imaging in a Rare Case of Unilateral External and Middle Ear Anomalies Associated with Inner Ear Malformation
External ear malformations are commonly associated with middle ear malformations due to their closely related embryogenesis. Inner ear anomalies are less consistently seen due to their independent development. Cross-sectional imaging has come to play a critical role in the workup of congenital deafness in the pediatric age group. To optimize speech and language development, early diagnosis and treatment are very crucial. Identification of these anomalies is additionally important when operative intervention is being planned because they may complicate or perhaps preclude the surgery.
28 July 2021 (online)
© 2021. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Park E, Lee G, Jung HH, Im GJ. Analysis of inner ear anomalies in unilateral congenital aural atresia combined with microtia. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol 2019; 12 (02) 176-180
- 2 Vrabec JT, Lin JW. Inner ear anomalies in congenital aural atresia. Otol Neurotol 2010; 31 (09) 1421-1426
- 3 Amarnath C, Sathyan G, Soniya R, Periakaruppan AL, Shankar KS. Evaluation of embryological sequences of ear anomalies and its radiological relevance. Indian J Otol 2016; 22: 248-257
- 4 Singh I, Pal GP. The eye and the ear. In: Singh I, ed. Human Embryology. 8th ed.. Chennai: Macmillan 2009; 312-318
- 5 Bartel-Friedrich S, Wulke C. Classification and diagnosis of ear malformations. GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007; 6: Doc05
- 6 Gassner EM, Mallouhi A, Jaschke WR. Preoperative evaluation of external auditory canal atresia on high-resolution CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2004; 182 (05) 1305-1312
- 7 Takegoshi H, Kaga K. Difference in facial canal anatomy in terms of severity of microtia and deformity of middle ear in patients with microtia. Laryngoscope 2003; 113 (04) 635-639
- 8 Jahrsdoerfer RA, Yeakley JW, Aguilar EA, Cole RR, Gray LC. Grading system for the selection of patients with congenital aural atresia. Am J Otol 1992; 13 (01) 6-12