Subscribe to RSS
TIPIC—A Newly Recognized Syndrome: Multimodality Imaging of a Rare Clinicoradiological Entity
Carotidynia is a controversial clinicopathological entity vastly described in Western literature as neck pain in the region of carotid bifurcation secondary to an underlying inflammatory etiology. Radiologically, this appears as perivascular inflammation and has recently been designated as transient perivascular inflammation of the carotid artery (TIPIC) syndrome. The authors of this report discuss the multimodality imaging features of a rare case of this disease in our country to familiarize radiologists with the imaging findings and to encourage the inclusion of TIPIC syndrome as a differential diagnosis for focal neck pain.
28 July 2021 (online)
© 2021. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Fay T. Atypical neuralgia. Arch Neurol Psychiatry 1927; 18: 309-315
- 2 Upton PD, Smith JG, Charnock DR. Histologic confirmation of carotidynia. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003; 129 (04) 443-444
- 3 Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgias and facial pain. Cephalalgia 1988; 8 (Suppl. 07) 1-96
- 4 Murray TJ. Carotidynia: a cause of neck and face pain. Can Med Assoc J 1979; 120 (04) 441-443
- 5 Lecler A, Obadia M, Savatovsky J. et al. TIPIC syndrome: beyond the myth of carotidynia, a new distinct unclassified entity. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2017; 38 (07) 1391-1398
- 6 Biousse V, Bousser MG. The myth of carotidynia. Neurology 1994; 44 (06) 993-995
- 7 Burton BS, Syms MJ, Petermann GW, Burgess LP. MR imaging of patients with carotidynia. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2000; 21 (04) 766-769
- 8 Santarosa C, Stefanelli S, Sztajzel R, Mundada P, Becker M. Carotidynia: a rare diagnosis for unilateral neck pain revealed by cross-sectional imaging. Case Rep Radiol 2017; 2017: 7086854
- 9 Amaravadi RR, Behr SC, Kousoubris PD, Raja S. [18F] Fluorodeoxyglucose positron-emission tomography-CT imaging of carotidynia. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2008; 29 (06) 1197-1199
- 10 Woo JK, Jhamb A, Heran MK, Hurley M, Graeb D. Resolution of existing intimal plaque in a patient with carotidynia. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2008; 29 (04) 732-733