Solitary Fibrous Tumor of Internal Jugular Vein: An Extremely Rare Entity with Review of Literature
Solitary fibrous tumor (SFT) is an unusual spindle cell neoplasm that commonly arises from pleura. In the last decade, multiple case reports have described its diverse occurrence in extrapleural locations involving almost every anatomic site. Intravascular SFT is extremely rare and has been reported in inferior vena cava and renal vein only, to the best of our knowledge. SFT of the internal jugular vein has never been reported. We present a case of a SFT arising from internal jugular vein with extraluminal exophytic component extending into supraclavicular fossa. It should also be considered as a differential diagnosis for neoplasm arising from the internal jugular vein.
27. Juli 2021 (online)
© 2021. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Klemperer P, Rabin CB. Primary neoplasms of the pleura. A report of five cases. Arch Pathol (Chic 1931; 11: 385-412
- 2 Robinson LA. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura. Cancer Contr 2006; 13 (04) 264-269
- 3 Briselli M, Mark EJ, Dickersin GR. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura: eight new cases and review of 360 cases in the literature. Cancer 1981; 47 (11) 2678-2689
- 4 Changku J, Shaohua S, Zhicheng Z, Shusen Z. Solitary fibrous tumor of the liver: retrospective study of reported cases. Cancer Invest 2006; 24 (02) 132-135
- 5 Fine SW, McCarthy DM, Chan TY, Epstein JI, Argani P. Malignant solitary fibrous tumor of the kidney: report of a case and comprehensive review of the literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2006; 130 (06) 857-861
- 6 Zhou Y, Chu X, Yi Y, Tong L, Dai Y. Malignant solitary fibrous tumor in retroperitoneum: a case report and literature review. Medicine (Baltimore 2017; 96 (11) e6373
- 7 Koh SZ, Tiong HY, Wang S, Madhavan K. A case report of an intracaval extrathoracic solitary fibrous tumour. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2013; 95 (04) e71-e74
- 8 de Perrot M, Kurt AM, Robert JH, Borisch B, Spiliopoulos A. Clinical behavior of solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67 (05) 1456-1459
- 9 Rosado-de-Christenson ML, Abbott GF, McAdams HP, Franks TJ, Galvin JR. From the archives of the AFIP: localized fibrous tumor of the pleura. Radiographics 2003; 23 (03) 759-783
- 10 Weon YC, Kim EY, Kim HJ, Byun HS, Park K, Kim JH. Intracranial solitary fibrous tumors: imaging findings in 6 consecutive patients. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2007; 28 (08) 1466-1469
- 11 Rohatgi S, Howard SA, Tirumani SH, Ramaiya NH, Krajewski KM. Multimodality imaging of tumour thrombus. Can Assoc Radiol J 2015; 66 (02) 121-129
- 12 de Chaumont A, Pierret C, de Kerangal X, Le Moulec S, Laborde F. Leiomyosarcoma of the superior vena cava. Ann Thorac Surg 2014; 98 (02) 725-727
- 13 Klunder A, Subik K, Ye B, Xu H, Li F. Intimal sarcoma of the abdominal aorta presenting as a retroperitoneal mass. Pathology 2012; 44 (05) 485-487
- 14 Hu W, Wang X, Tan S. et al. Large hemangioma in a persistent left superior vena cava. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 60 (Suppl. 02) e3-e5
- 15 Webb EM, Wang ZJ, Westphalen AC, Nakakura EK, Coakley FV, Yeh BM. Can CT features differentiate between inferior vena cava leiomyosarcomas and primary retroperitoneal masses?. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2013; 200 (01) 205-209
- 16 Vogels RJ, Vlenterie M, Versleijen-Jonkers YM. et al. Solitary fibrous tumor - clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical and molecular analysis of 28 cases. Diagn Pathol 2014; 9: 224
- 17 Tamburini N, Fabbri N, Anania G. et al. Synchronous pancreatic and pulmonary metastases from solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura: report of a case. Tumori 2017; 103 (Suppl. 01) e9-e11
- 18 DeVito N, Henderson E, Han G. et al. Clinical characteristics and outcomes for solitary fibrous tumor (Sft): a single center experience. PLoS One 2015; 10 (10) 0140362