Subscribe to RSS
Idiopathic Pulmonary Hemosiderosis: An Unexplored Cause of Treatment Refractory Pediatric Iron Deficiency AnemiaFunding This study has not received funding/sponsorship of any sort, including study design, collection, analysis, and interpretation of data, writing of the report, decision to submit the paper for publication.
Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis (IPH) is an unusual cause of pediatric iron deficiency anemia (IDA) characterized by alveolar hemorrhage leading to hemosiderin deposition and fibrosis in the lungs. Though the typical triad of presentation is hemoptysis, IDA, and lung opacities on thoracic radiographs, often the sole manifestation of IPH may be severe IDA in children.
28 July 2021 (online)
© 2021. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Khorashadi L, Wu CC, Betancourt SL, Carter BW. Idiopathic pulmonary haemosiderosis: spectrum of thoracic imaging findings in the adult patient. Clin Radiol 2015; 70 (05) 459-465
- 2 Tzouvelekis A, Ntolios P, Oikonomou A. et al. Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis in adults: a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Med 2012; 2012: 267857
- 3 Kamienska E, Urasinski T, Gawlikowska-Sroka A, Glura B, Pogorzelski A. Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis in a 9-year-old girl. Eur J Med Res 2009; 14 (Suppl. 04) 112-115
- 4 Taytard J, Nathan N, de Blic J. et al. French RespiRare® group. New insights into pediatric idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis: the French RespiRare (®) cohort. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2013; 8: 161
- 5 Shamim S, Biswas S, Mandal S. Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis: a differential diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in a young child. Indian J Med Spec 2019; 10 (03) 170
- 6 Bakalli I, Kota L, Sala D. et al. Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis - a diagnostic challenge. Ital J Pediatr 2014; 40 (01) 35
- 7 Bhatia S, Tullu MS, Vaideeswar P, Lahiri KR. Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis: alveoli are an answer to anemia. J Postgrad Med 2011; 57 (01) 57-60
- 8 Ioachimescu OC, Sieber S, Kotch A. Idiopathic pulmonary haemosiderosis revisited. Eur Respir J 2004; 24 (01) 162-170
- 9 Koker SA, Gözmen S, Oymak Y. et al. Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis mimicking iron deficiency anemia: a delayed diagnosis?. Hematol Rep 2017; 9 (02) 7048
- 10 Özdemir N. Iron deficiency anemia from diagnosis to treatment in children. Turk Pediatri Ars 2015; 50 (01) 11-19