Subscribe to RSS
Deep Vein Thrombosis in a Patient of Extrapulmonary Tuberculosis
Among the various complications reported to be caused by tuberculosis (TB), thrombogenic potential is a rare entity. Here, we report a case of colonic tuberculosis in a 30-year-old male who developed left upper limb deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Ruling out other possible causes of DVT and improvement of the affected limb with antitubercular drugs led to conclusion that DVT was most probably due to TB.
18 August 2021 (online)
© 2021. Medical and Surgical Update Society. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Turken O, Kunter E, Sezer M. et al. Hemostatic changes in active pulmonary tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2002; 6 (10) 927-932
- 2 Suárez Ortega S, Artiles Vizcaíno J, Balda Aguirre I. et al. Tuberculosis as risk factor for venous thrombosis. Med Interna 1993; 10 (08) 398-400
- 3 Kim HY, Song KS, Goo JM, Lee JS, Lee KS, Lim TH. Thoracic sequelae and complications of tuberculosis. Radiographics 2001; 21 (04) 839-858 discussion 859–860
- 4 Wang JY, Hsueh PR, Lee LN. et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis inducing disseminated intravascular coagulation. Thromb Haemost 2005; 93 (04) 729-734
- 5 Keeling AN, Costello R, Lee MJ. Rasmussen’s aneurysm: a forgotten entity?. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2008; 31 (01) 196-200
- 6 Cervera R, Asherson RA, Acevedo ML. et al. Antiphospholipid syndrome associated with infections: clinical and microbiological characteristics of 100 patients. Ann Rheum Dis 2004; 63 (10) 1312-1317
- 7 Brotman DJ, Deitcher SR, Lip GY, Matzdorff AC. Virchow’s triad revisited. South Med J 2004; 97 (02) 213-214
- 8 Horowitz N, Brenner B. Thrombophilia and cancer. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 2008; 36 (3-4) 131-136
- 9 Lang IM, Mackman N, Kriett JM, Moser KM, Schleef RR. Prothrombotic activation of pulmonary arterial endothelial cells in a patient with tuberculosis. Hum Pathol 1996; 27 (04) 423-427
- 10 Robson SC, White NW, Aronson I, Woollgar R, Goodman H, Jacobs P. Acute-phase response and the hypercoagulable state in pulmonary tuberculosis. Br J Haematol 1996; 93 (04) 943-949
- 11 Naithani R, Agrawal N, Choudhary VP. Deep venous thrombosis associated with tuberculosis. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2007; 18 (04) 377-380
- 12 Saini R, Mishra A, Gupta KK, Kallani M. Deep vein thrombosis in patient with pulmonary tuberculosis: a rare and interesting causative link?. Int J Adv Med 2019; 6: 542-546