Subscribe to RSS
Homeopathy for COVID-19 Prevention: Report of an Intervention at a Brazilian Service Sector Company
Background COVID-19 quickly became a serious public health problem worldwide, with serious economic and social repercussions. Homeopaths around the world have been studying to find a genus epidemicus (GE) medicine that might help in the prevention and treatment of this disease.
Objective To compare the incidence of COVID-19 between employees who received or did not receive a homeopathic GE medicine for disease prevention.
Methods Retrospective cohort analysis. The study population comprised all employees of a service sector company in São Paulo, Brazil, and followed up by the corporate Occupational Health department. Intervention consisted of administering Arsenicum album 30cH in a one-weekly dose. Primary outcome was incidence of COVID-19 during 3-months' follow-up (April to July, 2020).
Results We analyzed 1,642 of 1,703 employees without previous diagnosis of COVID-19 at onset of the study period: 53.34% of employees were referred to telework at home and did not receive intervention (Group 1, G1); 24.66% remained working on-premises in the state of São Paulo and received the intervention (Group 2, G2); 21.98% remained working on company premises in other states and did not receive intervention (Group 3, G3). Incidence rate of COVID-19 was respectively 13.35%, 0.74%, and 67.87% (p < 0.001). The odds ratio of being infected in (1) G3 versus G1 was 13.70 (95% confidence interval [CI], 10.21 to 18.39), (2) G3 versus G2 was 283.02 (95% CI, 88.98 to 900.18), and (3) G1 versus G2 was 20.66 (95% CI, 6.53 to 65.39).
Limitations The present is a retrospective analysis of a real-world experience. We could not ensure direct observed treatment, and neither could we control adherence to general prevention measures outside company premises.
Conclusion The incidence of COVID-19 was significantly lower amongst on-premises employees who received the GE medication in comparison to workers who did not receive the intervention (those either at other company premises or teleworking at home).
Received: 08 February 2021
Accepted: 17 June 2021
Article published online:
19 October 2021
© 2021. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 World Health Organization (WHO). Clinical management of severe acute respiratory infection when novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infection is suspected: interim guidance. January 28, 2020. Available at: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/clinical-management-of-novel-cov.pdf
- 2 Brazil. Ministério da Saúde. Coronavírus Brasil. Available at: https://covid.saude.gov.br/
- 3 Waisse S, Oberbaum M, Frass M. The Hydra-headed coronaviruses: implications of COVID-19 for homeopathy. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 169-175
- 4 Brazil. Ministério da Saúde. Secretaria de Vigilância em Saúde, Centro de Operações de Emergência em Saúde Pública. Boletim epidemiológico 08. Brasília, 9 April 2020. Available at: https://www.saude.gov.br/images/pdf/2020/April/09/be-covid-08-final.pdf
- 5 Pan American Health Organization (PAHO Brazil).. Folha informativa – COVID-19 (doença causada pelo novo coronavírus, 29 May 2020). https://www.paho.org/bra/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6101:covid19&Itemid=875
- 6 Waisse S. The science of high dilutions in historical context. Homeopathy 2012; 101: 129-137
- 7 Hahnemann S. Escritos menores. São Paulo: Organon; 2006
- 8 Nunes LAS. Homeopathy and dengue: Macaé, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2007–2012. Rev Homeopatia (São Paulo) 2016; 79: 1-16
- 9 Prass-Santos C, Brina NT, Magalhães IL. et al. Report on the use of homeopathic medication in the prophylaxis of dengue in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil, in 2010. Rev. homeopatia (São Paulo) 75: 1-12 2012;
- 10 Daruiche PSJ. Homeopatia nas epidemias: estudo de caso com base em experiências recentes. MA dissertation. Federal University of São Paulo; 2012
- 11 Hahnemann S. Organon da arte de curar. 6th ed. São Paulo: Grupo de Estudos Homeopáticos de São Paulo Benoit Mure; 2007
- 12 LMHI. Executive Committee Communication Regarding Coronavirus Epidemic. 18 March 2020. http://www.lmhi.org/downloads/nvp/LMHI%20Coronavirus%20Epidemic.pdf
- 13 Saji K. Recommendations for the homoeopathic management of COVID-19 by Indian Homoeopathic Medical Association (IHMA), 25 March 2020. https://www.homeopathy360.com/wp-content/uploads/COVID-19-Homoeopathic-Treatment-Guidelines-IHMA.pdf
- 14 Associação Médica Homeopática Brasileira (AMHB).. Comitê de Estudos COVID-19. Estudo preliminar de sintomas e medicamentos prevalentes do “gênio epidêmico” de COVID-19, 03 April 2020. https://amhb.org.br/estudo-preliminar-covid-19/
- 15 Instituto Mineiro de Homeopatia. Plano de auxílio homeopático à saúde por ocasião da pandemia de COVID-19. Nota Técnica da Medicina Homeopática, 22 March 2020. https://amhb.org.br/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Betim-MG-NOTA-TECNICA-DA-MEDICINA-HOMEOPATICA.pdf
- 16 Medicação homeopática contra a COVID-19 passa a ser distribuída em 10 UBSF. SBT-MS, 21 August 2020. https://sbtms.com.br/medicacao-homeopatica-contra-a-covid-19-passa-a-ser-distribuida-em-10-ubsf/
- 17 Itajaí distribui a partir de quarta-feira homeopatia para melhorar imunidade. O Globo, 28/04/2020. https://g1.globo.com/sc/santa-catarina/noticia/2020/04/28/itajai-distribui-a-partir-de-quarta-feira-homeopatia-para-melhorar-imunidade.ghtml
- 18 Kent JT. Repertory of the homoeopathic materia medica. New Delhi: B Jain; 2001
- 19 Hahnemann S. Doenças crônicas. São Paulo: Editora Homeopática Brasileira; 1998
- 20 Hahnemann S. Matéria médica pura. São Paulo: Editora Homeopática Brasileira; 1998
- 21 Brazil. Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária (ANVISA). Farmacopéia homeopática brasileira. 3rd ed. 2011. www.anvisa.gov.br/farmacopeiabrasileira/conteudo/3a_edicao.pdf
- 22 Brazil. Ministério da Saúde. Diretrizes para diagnóstico e tratamento da COVID-19 8 Apr 2020. http://portalarquivos.saude.gov.br/images/pdf/2020/April/13/Diretrizes-COVID-13-4.pdf
- 23 World Health Organization. Obesity and overweight. https://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/media/en/gsfs_obesity.pdf
- 24 American Heart Association. Hypertension guideline toolkit. http://aha-clinical-review.ascendeventmedia.com/books/aha-high-blood-pressure-toolkit/
- 25 Brazil. Cidade de São Paulo. Secretaria da Saúde. Boletim Diário COVID-19 n° 33. https://www.prefeitura.sp.gov.br/cidade/secretarias/upload/saude/28042020_BoletimDiario.pdf
- 26 Brazil. Cidade de São Paulo. Secretaria da Saúde. Boletim Diário COVID-19 n° 126. https://www.prefeitura.sp.gov.br/cidade/secretarias/upload/saude/20200730_boletim_covid19_diario_atualizado_Secretario.pdf
- 27 Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). New York: Psychology Press; 1988
- 28 Niquini RP, Lana RM, Pacheco AG. et al. SRAG por COVID-19 no Brasil: descrição e comparação de características demográficas e comorbidades com SRAG por influenza e com a população geral. Cad Saude Publica 2020; 36: e00149420
- 29 Brazil. Cidade de São Paulo. Secretaria da Saúde. Boletim Diário Covid-19 n° 253. https://www.prefeitura.sp.gov.br/cidade/secretarias/upload/saude/20201204_boletim_covid19_diario.pdf
- 30 Manchanda RK, Miglani A, Gupta M. et al. Homeopathic remedies in COVID-19: prognostic factor research. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 160-167
- 31 Varanasi R, Nayak D, Khurana A. Clinical repurposing of medicines is intrinsic to homeopathy: research initiatives on COVID-19 in India. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 198-205
- 32 Valeri A. Symptomatic COVID-19 positive and likely patients treated by homeopathic physicians – an Italian descriptive study. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340631586_Symptomatic_COVID-19_positive_and_likely_patients_treated_by_homeopathic_physicians_-_an_Italian_descriptive_study
- 33 Nepali Times. Can homeopathy help prevent COVID-19? 25 May 2020. https://www.nepalitimes.com/banner/can-homeopathy-help-prevent-covid-19/
- 34 Saine A. Case management of the COVID-19 patient with genuine homeopathy: an update. https://homeopathyusa.org/uploads/Case%20management%20of%20the%20COVID%20patient%20with%20genuine%20homeopathy-An%20update.pdf