Subscribe to RSS
Secondary Tumors of the Ampulla of Vater: A Tale of Two CasesFunding None.
We report two cases of women with metastatic cancers to ampulla of Vater. The first was 91 years old and presented with severe anemia, due to upper gastrointestinal bleeding. She had history of renal cell cancer treated with nephrectomy 8 years ago and diagnosis confirmed to be metastasis of renal cell cancer to ampulla of Vater. The second patient was 54 years old with breast cancer, metastasis and developed obstructive jaundice; diagnosis confirmed to be breast metastasis in the ampulla of Vater. Secondary tumors of the ampulla of Vater due to breast cancer and renal cell cancer are rare findings and prognosis can be poor.
Article published online:
29 July 2021
© 2021. The Indian Association of Laboratory Physicians. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Allescher HD. Papilla of Vater: structure and function. Endoscopy 1989; 21 (Suppl. 01) 324-329
- 2 Sarocchi F, Gilg MM, Schreiber F, Langner C. Secondary tumours of the ampulla of Vater: case report and review of the literature. Mol Clin Oncol 2018; 8 (02) 274-280
- 3 Pea A, Riva G, Bernasconi R. et al Ampulla of Vater carcinoma: molecular landscape and clinical implications. World J Gastrointest Oncol 2018; 10 (11) 370-380
- 4 Perysinakis I, Margaris I, Kouraklis G. Ampullary cancer—a separate clinical entity?. Histopathology 2014; 64 (06) 759-768
- 5 Robertson GS, Gertler SL. Late presentation of metastatic renal cell carcinoma as a bleeding ampullary mass. Gastrointest Endosc 1990; 36 (03) 304-306
- 6 Nakamura T, Oe N, Matsumori T. A hypervascular mass at the papilla of Vater. Gastroenterology 2019; 156 (06) e7-e9
- 7 Bolkier M, Ginesin Y, Moskovitz B, Munichor M, Levin DR. Obstructive jaundice caused by metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Eur Urol 1991; 19 (01) 87-88
- 8 Ignatavicius P, Lizdenis P, Pranys D, Gulbinas A, Pundzius J, Barauskas G. Long-term survival of patient with ampulla of Vater metastasis of renal cell carcinoma. Prague Med Rep 2018; 119 (04) 165-169
- 9 Kling SM, Tannouri S, Jiang W, Yeo CJ. Pancreatic mass in a patient with a history of resected renal cell carcinoma and resected adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: a case report. J Pancreat Cancer 2018; 4 (01) 41-44
- 10 Cheong D, Rho SY, Kim JH, Kang CM, Lee WJ. Laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy for renal cell carcinoma metastasized to ampulla of Vater: a case report and literature review. Ann Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 2018; 22 (01) 83-89
- 11 Rego RF, Atiq M, Velchala N. et al Ampullary metastasis from breast cancer: an unusual finding. Endoscopy 2009; 41 (Suppl. 02) E278-E279
- 12 Titus AS, Baron TH, Listinsky CM, Vickers SM. Solitary breast metastasis to the ampulla and distal common bile duct. Am Surg 1997; 63 (06) 512-515
- 13 Bastos T, Souza TF, Otoch JP, Grecco E, Àvila F, Artifon EL. Metastasis of breast cancer to major duodenal papilla. Rev Gastroenterol Peru 2014; 34 (02) 149-150
- 14 Giestas S, Lopes S, Souto P. et al Ampullary metastasis from breast cancer: a rare cause of obstructive jaundice. GE Port J Gastroenterol 2016; 23 (06) 300-303
- 15 Pinto P, Peixoto A, Santos C. et al Analysis of founder mutations in rare tumors associated with hereditary breast/ovarian cancer reveals a novel association of BRCA2 mutations with ampulla of Vater carcinomas. PLoS One 2016; 11 (08) e0161438