Subscribe to RSS
The Performance of Universal Adhesives on Orthodontic Bracket Bonding
Objective This article aimed to assess the effects of double application of universal adhesives on the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets.
Materials and Method Seventy-five extracted human premolars were used. The teeth were randomly assigned into five groups based on the adhesive procedure (n = 15). The universal adhesives Scotchbond Universal (3M Oral Care) and Prime&Bond Universal (Dentsply) were used (following manufacturer’s instructions and double application). Transbond XT Primer (3M Unitek) was employed as control. Following adhesive application, the brackets were bonded on the tooth surfaces. After storage in distilled water for 24 hours at 37°C, the specimens were subjugated to the shear bond strength test under a universal testing machine (Autograph AGS-X; Shimadzu). Data were analyzed with one-way analysis of variance and least significant difference tests (p = 0.05). The adhesive remnant index (ARI) was determined using a stereomicroscope (S4E; Leica Microsystems). Data of ARI scores were submitted to Pearson’s chi-square test.
Results The highest shear bond strengths were acquired with Scotchbond Universal (p < 0.05). The double application of Scotchbond Universal did not impact the shear bond strength. The lowest shear bond strength was found in Prime&Bond Universal (p < 0.05). The double application of Prime&Bond Universal increased the shear bond strength (p < 0.05). There were no significant differences in ARI scores among the groups (p > 0.05).
Conclusion The universal adhesives may be an alternative for the bonding of orthodontic brackets. The double application of universal adhesives might improve the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets depending on the material.
11 August 2021 (online)
© 2021. European Journal of General Dentistry. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Türköz C, Ulusoy C. Evaluation of different enamel conditioning techniques for orthodontic bonding. Korean J Orthod 2012; 42 (01) 32-38
- 2 Hellak A, Rusdea P, Schauseil M, Stein S, Korbmacher-Steiner HM. Enamel shear bond strength of two orthodontic self-etching bonding systems compared to Transbond™ XT. J Orofac Orthop 2016; 77 (06) 391-399
- 3 Cerone M, El-Badrawy W, Gong SG, Prakki A. Bond strength of universal self-etch 1-step adhesive systems for orthodontic brackets. J Can Dent Assoc 2019; 85: j6
- 4 Malik SA, Laxmikanth SM. Comparative evaluation of the shear bond strength and de-bonding properties of self-etch adhesive composite cement (Maxcem Elite Chroma) vs. self-etching primer composite system (Transbond Plus Sep, 3M Unitek, Monrovia, Calif) used for orthodontic bracket bonding. Dentist 2019; 1: 1007
- 5 Scougall RJ Vilchis, Yamamoto S, Kitai N, Yamamoto K. Shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets bonded with different self-etching adhesives. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2009; 136 (03) 425-430
- 6 Shafiei F, Sardarian A, Fekrazad R, Farjood A. Comparison of shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets bonded with a universal adhesive using different etching methods. Dental Press J Orthod 2019; 24 (04) 33.e1-33.e8
- 7 Van Meerbeek B, Yoshihara K, Van Landuyt K, Yoshida Y, Peumans M. From Buonocore’s pioneering acid-etch technique to self-adhering restoratives. A status perspective of rapidly advancing dental adhesive technology. J Adhes Dent 2020; 22 (01) 7-34
- 8 Cuevas-Suárez CE, da Rosa WLO, Lund RG, da Silva AF, Piva E. Bonding performance of universal adhesives: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. J Adhes Dent 2019; 21 (01) 7-26
- 9 Tahmasbi S, Badiee M, Modarresi M. Shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets to composite restorations using universal adhesive.. J Dent (Shiraz) 2019; 20 (02) 75-82
- 10 Naseh R, Afshari M, Shafiei F, Rahnamoon N. Shear bond strength of metal brackets to ceramic surfaces using a universal bonding resin. J Clin Exp Dent 2018; 10 (08) e739-e745
- 11 Lee J-Y, Ahn J, An SI, Park J-W. Comparison of bond strengths of ceramic brackets bonded to zirconia surfaces using different zirconia primers and a universal adhesive. Restor Dent Endod 2018; 43 (01) e7
- 12 Golshah A, Mohamadi N, Rahimi F, Pouyanfar H, Tabaii ES, Imani MM. Shear bond strength of metal brackets to porcelain using a universal adhesive. Med Arh 2018; 72 (06) 425-429
- 13 Ahmed MH, De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Peumans M, Yoshihara K, Van Meerbeek B. Do universal adhesives benefit from an extra bonding layer?. J Adhes Dent 2019; 21 (02) 117-132
- 14 Ermis RB, Ugurlu M, Ahmed MH. Van Meerbeek B. Universal adhesives benefit from an extra hydrophobic adhesive layer when light cured beforehand. J Adhes Dent 2019; 21 (02) 179-188
- 15 Chowdhury AFM, Saikaew P, Alam A, Sun J, Carvalho RM, Sano H. Effects of double application of contemporary self-etch adhesives on their bonding performance to dentin with clinically relevant smear layers. J Adhes Dent 2019; 21 (01) 59-66
- 16 Fujiwara S, Takamizawa T, Barkmeier WW. et al. Effect of double-layer application on bond quality of adhesive systems. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 2018; 77: 501-509
- 17 de Silva AL, Lima DA, de Souza GM, dos Santos CT, Paulillo LA. Influence of additional adhesive application on the microtensile bond strength of adhesive systems. Oper Dent 2006; 31 (05) 562-568
- 18 Reis A, Albuquerque M, Pegoraro M. et al. Can the durability of one-step self-etch adhesives be improved by double application or by an extra layer of hydrophobic resin?. J Dent 2008; 36 (05) 309-315
- 19 Ito S, Tay FR, Hashimoto M. et al. Effects of multiple coatings of two all-in-one adhesives on dentin bonding. J Adhes Dent 2005; 7 (02) 133-141
- 20 Albuquerque M, Pegoraro M, Mattei G, Reis A, Loguercio AD. Effect of double-application or the application of a hydrophobic layer for improved efficacy of one-step self-etch systems in enamel and dentin. Oper Dent 2008; 33 (05) 564-570
- 21 Choi KK, Condon JR, Ferracane JL. The effects of adhesive thickness on polymerization contraction stress of composite. J Dent Res 2000; 79 (03) 812-817
- 22 Årtun J, Bergland S. Clinical trials with crystal growth conditioning as an alternative to acid-etch enamel pretreatment. Am J Orthod 1984; 85 (04) 333-340
- 23 Harari D, Aunni E, Gillis I, Redlich M. A new multipurpose dental adhesive for orthodontic use: an in vitro bond-strength study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2000; 118 (03) 307-310
- 24 Reynolds IR. A review of direct orthodontic bonding. Br J Orthod 1975; 2: 171-178
- 25 Eminkahyagil N, Arman A, Cetinşahin A, Karabulut E. Effect of resin-removal methods on enamel and shear bond strength of rebonded brackets. Angle Orthod 2006; 76 (02) 314-321
- 26 Yoshida Y, Nagakane K, Fukuda R. et al. Comparative study on adhesive performance of functional monomers. J Dent Res 2004; 83 (06) 454-458
- 27 Wagner A, Wendler M, Petschelt A, Belli R, Lohbauer U. Bonding performance of universal adhesives in different etching modes. J Dent 2014; 42 (07) 800-807
- 28 Bacelar-Sá R, Giannini M, Ambrosano GMB, Bedran-Russo AK. Dentin sealing and bond strength evaluation of hema-free and multi-mode adhesives to biomodified dentin. Braz Dent J 2017; 28 (06) 731-737
- 29 Taschner M, Kümmerling M, Lohbauer U, Breschi L, Petschelt A, Frankenberger R. Effect of double-layer application on dentin bond durability of one-step self-etch adhesives. Oper Dent 2014; 39 (04) 416-426
- 30 Boruziniat A, Khazaei Y, Motaghi S, Moghaddas M. Evaluation of bond strength of orthodontic brackets without enamel etching. J Clin Exp Dent 2015; 7 (04) e519-e523