Subscribe to RSS
Demographic and Clinical Profile of Psychiatry Patients of Rural Homoeopathic Hospital, Palghar, Maharashtra, India, from 2014 to 2018
Background Rural Homoeopathic Hospital has been serving the community in and around Palghar for the past 20 years. Through a Central Government Scheme of Centre of Excellence, it received funds for setting up an inpatient psychiatric unit in 2012 whereby it could serve the wider community by admitting the patients with mental illness in a secure ward. This is the first part of two papers which deals with demographic analysis of the patients admitted in the psychiatry ward between 2014 and 2018.
Objectives The case records were studied with a view to determine the demographic features, the clinical diagnosis and the duration of stay.
Methodology All case records were studied as per a predetermined format to establish the demographic features, the clinical diagnosis and the duration of stay in the ward.
Results Out of 1,015 patients seen, 35% were having alcohol withdrawal, 12.7% were having conversion, 9.8% were having suicidal attempt and 9.7% were suffering from anxiety. The duration of stay in the hospital was noticeably shorter than what has been reported from the allopathic admissions.
Conclusion Alcoholism followed by conversion disorders, suicidal attempts and anxiety-panic conditions was the most common psychiatric condition with which patients were admitted. Males were predominating mainly due to their alcoholic condition. The duration of stay was reasonably short. The reasons for this would need further exploration.
Keywordspsychiatry inpatient - homoeopathic treatment - rural area - demographic profile - clinical profile
02 July 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 The official website of the Govt of Maharashtra for Palghar District. https://palghar.gov.in/ accessed on December 15, 2020.
- 2 Kapse AR. The ICR Operational Manual. 3rd edition. Mumbai: Dr. M. L. Dhawale Memorial Trust; 2010
- 3 Sharma P, Singh C, Solanki RK. Wasim. A descriptive analysis of patients admitted in short stay ward at psychiatric centre, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India. Int J Res Med Sci 2017; 5: 1667-1672
- 4 Sharma P, Singh C, Solanki RK. Duration of stay of psychiatric in-patients in general and mental hospital settings. Indian J Psychiatry 1977; 19 (02) 25-31
- 5 Vasudeva S, Narendra Kumar MS, Sekhar KC. Wasim. A descriptive analysis of patients admitted in short stay ward at psychiatric centre, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India. Int J Res Med Sci 2017; 5: 1667-1672
- 6 India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative Mental Disorders Collaborators. The burden of mental disorders across the states of India: the Global Burden of Disease Study 1990-2017. Lancet Psychiatry 2020; 7 (02) 148-161