Subscribe to RSS
No-Touch Radio Frequency Ablation for a Subcapsular Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Case Report and Review of Literature
Radiofrequency Ablation of subcapsular lesions poses a challenge due to the risks of tumour seeding along the track, hemorrhage and lower efficacy. “No touch ablation” is a relatively novel technique used in the ablation of subcapsular HCC with good results. This technique avoids direct puncture of the tumour by inserting more than one electrodes adjacent to and outside the tumor and activating them sequentially to perform ablation. The risk of track site seeding and haemorrhage is significantly reduced. We describe a case of a subcapsular HCC in a 65-year-old female patient which was successfully treated with this novel technique.
09 July 2021 (online)
© 2021. Indian Society of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Forner A, Reig M, Bruix J. Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet 2018; 391 (10127) 1301-1314
- 2 Hasegawa K, Kokudo N, Makuuchi M. et al. Comparison of resection and ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma: a cohort study based on a Japanese nationwide survey. J Hepatol 2013; 58 (04) 724-729
- 3 Jaskolka JD, Asch MR, Kachura JR. et al. Needle tract seeding after radiofrequency ablation of hepatic tumors. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2005; 16 (04) 485-491
- 4 Petit A, Hocquelet A, N’kontchou G. et al. No-touch multi-bipolar radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of subcapsular hepatocellular carcinoma ≤ 5 cm not puncturable via the non-tumorous liver parenchyma. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2020; 43 (02) 273-283
- 5 Seror O, N’Kontchou G, Nault J-C. et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma within Milan criteria: no-touch multibipolar radiofrequency ablation for treatment-long-term results. Radiology 2016; 280 (02) 611-621